Get a grip woman!

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks for popping in Busy Mee1. Good to see you. I agree, the similarities are there! I've just popped over to your diary and subscribed and will read with interest.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you get the money you are owed!

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    DEBTS
    We went away to the Highlands of Scotland and so no housekeeping spends while we were there so that was positive. Just as well with a contaminated fuel episode with DH's commuting car. It seems the garage may have swapped between diesel and petrol and the likelihood is that he dispensed while the tank was low and got the diesel mixed in. Well, that is what I have been told...:(

The other good bit is that my CC bill is very low because the purchase of my season ticket was delayed until after the holiday (and the CC statement date!) :T

Mortgage [STRIKE]£110,621[/STRIKE] 75,063.70 (£35,557.30 paid so far)
    Barclays 0% Finance for double glazing [STRIKE]£8,755.54[/STRIKE] £2,387.88 (£6,367.66)
    [STRIKE]DH's car - paid off on 21st Aug 17 £3,476 £0 (£3,476)[/STRIKE] all finished!

Total [STRIKE]£122,852.54[/STRIKE] £77,451.58 - that is £45,400.96 or 36.96% paid off so far.

SAVINGS
    £11,316.55 Emergency pot
    £12,306.14 S&S ISA with Fidelity International (original £10,000 some years ago, no further capital added)
    £7,663.52 DH's S&S ISA (with Charles Stanley Direct]
    [STRIKE]£3,155.32 2 year Bond with Skipton BS @ 4% Finishes 31 Jan 2018 - This will be used to reduce the mortgage![/STRIKE] all finished
    £11,330.58 7 year bond with Skipton BS - matures Oct 20
    [STRIKE]£38,630.43[/STRIKE] £42,616.79 Total actual cashable savings and 10.32% better than when I started

Shortfall -£34,834.79 (all debts)

It is just so plodding and slow!
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Plodding, but still positive and progress! You are so on top of it all and it will get there.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Uh oh to diesel and petrol mixing :( but everything else is brill :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    Options
    It is just so plodding and slow!

But still in the right direction!

Keep plodding you're doing fab

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Thanks guys, I guess I'm just impatient.

I think we will not draw down more from DH's DC pension until the April after he retires. This is because his income will be below the minimum income to pay tax in that new tax year, so although we took the TFLS in Feb this year, he could receive a tiny bit more tax relief on the rest. And if he does a bit of extra work, that will reduce the tax relief we (he, actually) get.

I think I will put in a couple of aims for May as I am lacking in motivation!

I know I and DS each need new phone handsets. We both have Samsung at the moment - he has my old Galaxy S4 after his was broken. It is his birthday in May so I said I will buy the replacement handset if he pays the Sim-only monthly account. Although there will be a cash outlay, this will save me almost £50 a month. It won't be a Galaxy 9

I might offer to pay for the Villa in Italy in full, just to remove it from June or July

I might need to buy a service pack for my big car as I think it may have expired (I thought I had one left - must check!)

I must, must, must get out in the garden, but it is piddling today, and miserable, and cold.

I also want to buy two single mattresses for the spare room. They do not need to be too thick as they will be on top of each other when the bed is a single, but the existing foam ones are less than three inches thick and their use at DS's house before we swapped beds means they are not in great shape and smell of the smoker who last had the room (it was a no-smoking house so he did it in his room and ruined everything, then left), despite being cleaned.

All of these involve spending. I will have a think about what else. I might start sorting through to sell some things. I don't know why I have written that. I already know this is as the bottom of futile list number 381

Have a good weekend everyone
  • Karmacat
    Options
    I'm totally with you on the futility of putting "sell things" on a list, currently at any rate. I just seem to refuse to pay attention to it - not a commitment I wanted when the flu season was on, I'm going to pretend it was that, and its not that I just don't like the process any more :rotfl::o:o

Isn't it a pain when you want to garden and you can't because of the rain! Even though I have the choice of days because I'm retire, I still get caught out by that; but I see what its like for my next door neighbour who loves gardening but is out of the house, between work and commuting, for 12 hours a day - no time for gardening in that, not really.

How do you commute, SL? Car or public transport? Could you bear to do surveys and whatnot while travelling, if its public transport?
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    My commute is a car to the Station (driven there by DH), a train for approx an hour, then a tube to my office, only 4 stops but super busy. In the evening it is two tubes and a train (to get a seat).

I must admit, I use the commute to catch up on email and then do a sudoku to switch off on the train part, and just concentrate on standing or the journey on the tube.

I don't like the idea of my views being tracked really, hence the no surveys. I do think I have to go through the more than one crate of old paperwork as I am fairly sure there are some financial things I need, including a mis-selling thing or two. I just need to find them
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Gotcha - some separating out of work and home by having downtime on the journey is necessary.

I'm wary of the tracking thing myself these days - I haven't changed the year of my birth when I do this stuff, but I have changed the month and the day.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure