Multiple Credit Cards for Credit Repair

Options
Hi All.

I am undergoing a period of credit repair. I have a Capital One credit card which I am now managing and reducing to a near zero balance. I have managed it and retained it through the difficulties... Just!

I pay the minimum by DD and I also have a Standing Order for £100 going in to it. It had a £2000 limit and a balance of about £250. I tend to use it once a month for fuel so the balance falls.

Would it be worth getting a second credit card from someone like Lumia or Aqua and pay it off each month? Would this add to my repair strategy or should I just focus on the Capital One card?

Thanks all.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Diving_Now wrote: »
    Hi All.

I am undergoing a period of credit repair. I have a Capital One credit card which I am now managing and reducing to a near zero balance. I have managed it and retained it through the difficulties... Just!

I pay the minimum by DD and I also have a Standing Order for £100 going in to it. It had a £2000 limit and a balance of about £250. I tend to use it once a month for fuel so the balance falls.

Would it be worth getting a second credit card from someone like Lumia or Aqua and pay it off each month? Would this add to my repair strategy or should I just focus on the Capital One card?

Thanks all.

Why a standing order ?

I thought putting a CC into credit wasn't allowed.
  • Diving_Now
    Diving_Now Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Why a standing order ?

I thought putting a CC into credit wasn't allowed.

With a SO, I get to decide.

Also, they didn't complain in the past.

Currently it is at £100 so I'm paying it off over the next few months. When it is at zero I will drop the SO to £50 and just spend £50 on fuel each month.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Diving_Now wrote: »
    With a SO, I get to decide.

Also, they didn't complain in the past.

Currently it is at £100 so I'm paying it off over the next few months. When it is at zero I will drop the SO to £50 and just spend £50 on fuel each month.

http://uk.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/overpaying-bill-1372.php

Maybe the provider is ok with it, that link explains its not the best place to keep money.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Set it up as a full pay DD. That will demonstrate the best credit behaviour.

Having two or three cards is always sensible, but only if you can trust yourself with them.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don't put the account in credit.

Just use it for your usual monthly expenditure and pay it in full each month following a statement
  • Diving_Now
    Diving_Now Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2018 at 7:21AM
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    Don't put the account in credit.

Just use it for your usual monthly expenditure and pay it in full each month following a statement

Thank you Gary. I intend to.

I just wondered if having two credit cards and paying them off each month would be better than doing it with one.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Using 2 is fine.

You ahould have one as a backup anyway
  • Diving_Now
    Options
    I picked up a Vanquis Visa Credit card recently in addition to my long term Capital One Mastercard. Its going well so far.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Having a second card is always a good idea especially if you are carrying a balance on the first. Spend on the second card, and clear in full each month, until the balance on the first is cleared to reduce interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure