Blocking RAC taking more money. Will my credit score be affected

2»

Comments

• tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Tarambor wrote: »
    You signed up for a year, there's no partial term cover. When you pay monthly you sign up to a credit agreement. If you default on that, which you have, they can report that to the CRAs. The debt companies they'll pass the default onto most certainly will report to the CRAs.

The RAC can legally pursue you for the rest of the money and don't think that "it's just £55 so they won't bother."

To clarify; if it's a credit agreement and they report your account to the CRAs on a continuing basis, then yes, you could end up with late payment markers. To be honest, I'd be surprised if they report these sort of arrangements, but I'm not with the RAC so I don't know. Regarding the use of debt collectors, they can only report a debt to the CRAs if the debt they've bought was previously being reported, otherwise they can't (incidentally, the ability of debt collectors to do this is something that's crying out for proper regulation).
  • Lauralou79
    Lauralou79 Posts: 268 Forumite
    Actually some water companies do report do CRA. United utilities appear on my clear score info.
    As for the OP of you entered a contract for a years cover ( check your paperwork) then you probably owe the cancellation fee and they can chase you and default on your credit records (if they report to a CRA) Is it worth it for £55?
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    edited 8 April 2018 at 1:06PM
    I don't think you sign a credit agreement when you pay monthly with the RAC so they won't report missed payments to the CRAs. It's still a daft thing to do. When the letters start coming they won't be asking for £55.

I'd just pay up. Mainly because of that old fashioned notion of sticking to agreements I've made, but also because it's a very small sum to pay to avoid a load of future hassle and extra expense.

Edit to add, all for the sake of 50 quid back in 2011...:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5823478
  • Old thread I know but just to let you know, I haven't heard anything since.
  • I.e no letters, no phone calls. Nothing
  • I.e no letters, no phone calls. Nothing
    Nothing yet.

Bear in mind that they've got 6 years to take action to recover what they're owed.
  • LMS94
    LMS94 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Personally, I'd rather have paid the early cancellation fee which is what you'll have signed for in the contract rather than having to keep watching my credit file etc. It's £55, pay it and have done with it, you'd be worse off with markers on your credit file if they happened to report it.

It isn't their fault that you've decided to scrap your car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure