Claiming PPI on behalf of deceased brother

Is it possible to claim PPI on behalf of a deceased brother. My younger brother and I inherited his estate several years ago and I have a number of documents relating to credit cards, bank accounts and card protection. It seems wrong to be claiming but I feel that it is only right that if there is money due it should not remain with those who mis-sold in the first place.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Is it possible to claim PPI on behalf of a deceased brother.

The executor of estate has the legal right to act on the behalf of your brothers estate.
    and I have a number of documents relating to credit cards, bank accounts and card protection.

And do they show any PPi being paid?

Also, what complaint reasons would be used? (you cant use allegations of what may or may not have been said. It needs to be factual reasons).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,999 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Yes definitely do it. They will want proof of your right to claim and a copy of the death certificate but you should expect that from any company due to data protection. Also look out for add ons for credit cards like the Barclays Card Secure where you paid a bit for fraud protection. There's a review pending once they sort who's going to pay the compensation. I'm waiting to hear more for my other half and father in law.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,999 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    "what complaint reasons would be used? "
    the reason should be it wasn't required and/or it was implied the card/loan wouldn't have been granted without taking this extra.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Brie wrote: »
    the reason should be it wasn't required and/or it was implied the card/loan wouldn't have been granted without taking this extra.

Really? Because " it was implied the card/loan wouldn't have been granted without taking this extra".

How would the OP be able to say that, given that they wish to claim on behalf of their deceased brother.:rotfl:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker

So, you are advocating committing fraud?

The executor was not present at the sale. So, cannot make false allegations like that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Many thanks for all the advice given. I was actually the Executor and I have all the documentation relating to CPP card protection, credit cards etc and I have the death certificate. There will certainly be no false allegations just an attempt to honestly recoup money should it be owed. Thanks again.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    PPI_Rookie wrote: »
    Many thanks for all the advice given. I was actually the Executor and I have all the documentation relating to CPP card protection, credit cards etc and I have the death certificate. There will certainly be no false allegations just an attempt to honestly recoup money should it be owed. Thanks again.

It's not about fraud per se, it's just if you are making the complaint on behalf of the deceased you can only use factual reasons such as suitability of the product, you cannot make claims like "he was told he needed to have it to get the loan" because you were not present so you cannot state that
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So you were present at the sale(s) then?
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    PPI_Rookie wrote: »
    There will certainly be no false allegations
    You did thank the poster who suggested though?
  • Can someone please explain that by getting a death certificate you can make a claim on a deceased person? Anyone can get a copy of a death certificate this does not make them the executor of the will does it? I had a letter from. NAT WEST RBS informing me that my late father who died 15 years ago had a ppi payment due. Although RBS have informed me I am entitled to 3500 payout from this, however without knowing 15,000 was claimed on my father's ppi a month after he died by my fathers  brother. I knew nothing of this until last week and I will not be able to speak to my uncle as he is not alive. RBSare looking into this. Disgrace! 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback