PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Oh Monna I had the chance to train as librarian back in the day . Mums opinion was the civil service was the way to go and my dream hit the dust . I would open a library myself if I had the money and time to spare - I already have the stock :D your idea sounds perfect to me but copious amounts of tea rather than coffee .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Obviously mixed views on the joys of cooking for one - the world would be a strange place if we were all the same! Personally I love cooking (and eating) so preparing nice food is a pleasure me and one I want to keep up despite being on my own and having some tricky health issues which are severely curtailing what I can do. I'm definitely in the "live to eat" rather than "eat to live" category but do get that if that's not you simpler options might suit you.
    Last night's roast dinner was lovely, the joint was just the right size to feed me last night, give me a cheeky pilfered slice this afternoon and make an individual shepherd's pie for tonight so not eating it for days and days or adding to my already overflowing freezers. I did end up with rather a lot of root veg mash, most of which I've turned into soup ( I don't mind repetitive lunches), the bulk of what's left will top the shepherd's pie. Anything left after that will either get added to the soup or made into bubble and squeak tomorrow night. I do need to get on top of how much fresh fruit and veg I'll use but surplus just now is mainly due to taking advantage of the cheap veg the supermarkets were offering at Christmas
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    That's a choice some choose to make. I'd not do it. If they want it they can get it themselves.

I've never cared what people think about strange combinations - indeed, I post my food on MSE to bring "those who cannot be 4rsed" into the fold, by letting them know that others "eat cr4p and still live" and you don't get run off the site for doing so.

With no table, no chairs, no dinner set and a fear of ovens ... plus, no mates ... that's really never going to happen. :)

It's the gnawing pain from my stomach that drags me towards the kitchen ... not a desire to eat any food in there.

I'm funny about food ... I'd need a full menu rundown before I'll say "yes" as you might try to feed me "funny stuff" - and I don't eat things I don't like :)

I have somebody who cooks for me; lives alone/loves cooking, so cooks for people. That gets me out about 4-5x a year for a pie or some sausages mostly... and that's nice. I get a doggy bag some nights too :)

It's usually a Lidl pie, or a SC curry. Nothing "fancy shmancy", just regular food. But I like being fed :)

Pie here anytime you fancy it PN :) I guess I am a feeder :)
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    There is nothing worse than making up a lovely meal and then eating it alone.

Food is for sharing.

I agree with the second statement but not the first. Come on round and I'll grate parmesan on you! :D

I've always lived alone and like my food. I can go for a few days with similar stuff, so a home made soup I'll liven up with a few fried off chillies or chilli sauce. Free range roast chicken becomes (stock obviously) risotto or chicken curry, and soup. Home made bread becomes the basis of other light meals.

The only problem is that occasionally I'll get something nice, such as fresh fish or piece of meat and then decide they need a bottle of Albarino or Primitivo to go with them.. That's why I like entertaining as I also get to sample more different wines and can justify getting better ones..

The important thing is not to feel too guilty about it all. On football training nights I eat early and simple as it's too late to do anything afterwards (and that is aching muscles hot bath time). So I'll do pasta with, say, a simple tomato sauce made from passata and whatever else I fancy. Or maybe some noodles with a few stir fried veggies and maybe prawns if I have them in the freezer. I have been known to have a Lidl pie with fresh steamed broccoli, and I can recommend their Pinotage at the moment..

Can't remember who was wondering whether they could justify the cost of a slow cooker but there's always someone with one spare, ask around or let people know. For example I might pick up mum's unused one from her garage tomorrow as my own is beginning to show its age..

PS: tonight's meal is aforesaid pulse based soup, and a good stirring of really good EVO which will lift it. Oh, and some freshly grated parmesan. I don't normally give negative advice, but I will say NEVER use pre-grated parmesan - it's horrible!
  • caronc
    Options
    Can't remember who was wondering whether they could justify the cost of a slow cooker but there's always someone with one spare, ask around or let people know. For example I might pick up mum's unused one from her garage tomorrow as my own is beginning to show its age..
    Was me wasn't much the cost as wondering where I'd put a baby one as I already have three and more kitchen kit than I want to admit to (which I do use) :o
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 16 January 2017 at 8:09PM
    Options
    Nelski I'll come over to yours.... can you cope with feeding a vegetarian? :D

Thankfully the lemon cheesecake (experimental!) went down well. The quiche is one of my standard recipes that I can make with my eyes shut.

Didn't all go well - I bashed my shoulder twice - hard - with the fridge door (don't ask!!) and my hands were so painful after zesting the lemon that I had to have an extra dose of liquid morphine.:(
    But Mr LW volunteered to grate the cheese for the quiche, so that saved the ol' paws another battering. ;)
    And he's just been and washed up the dirty plates and cutlery. :A

Had I been on my own, it'd probably have been a lump of cheese and a couple of baby tomatoes for dins, and no dessert.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • silverwhistle
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Was me wasn't much the cost as wondering where I'd put a baby one as I already have three and more kitchen kit than I want to admit to (which I do use) :o

Ah yes, I'm familiar with the problem. The electrical control bit on mine appears to be coming off so I may well be making space for the newer one..

Incidentally, I livened up my soup not with olive oil but with some Stilton left over from the holidays, some homemade carraway bread and a left over glass of Corbieres. :-) The cheese melted beautifully.
  • caronc
    Options
    Ah yes, I'm familiar with the problem. The electrical control bit on mine appears to be coming off so I may well be making space for the newer one..

Incidentally, I livened up my soup not with olive oil but with some Stilton left over from the holidays, some homemade carraway bread and a left over glass of Corbieres. :-) The cheese melted beautifully.
    Sounds like a good excuse for a new one. I have 2 Argos cheap and cheerful slowcookers both 3.5L a round one and an oval one (plus a 6L Morphy Richards), they've both lasted a good few years- would definately replace the oval one when it goes but not sure about the round one - would be an excuse to get a wee 1.5L instead :) Like me it sounds as though you enjoy a nice glass of vino though confess to when it's just me I tend to have a wine box on the go. If I open a bottle I tend to drink it all......:o
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »

Thankfully the lemon cheesecake (experimental!) went down well. The quiche is one of my standard recipes that I can make with my eyes shut.

Didn't all go well - I bashed my shoulder twice - hard - with the fridge door (don't ask!!) and my hands were so painful after zesting the lemon that I had to have an extra dose of liquid morphine.:(
    But Mr LW volunteered to grate the cheese for the quiche, so that saved the ol' paws another battering. ;)
    And he's just been and washed up the dirty plates and cutlery. :A

Had I been on my own, it'd probably have been a lump of cheese and a couple of baby tomatoes for dins, and no dessert.

Can sympathise with painful hands. I had given up trying to grate anything because of the pain but found a kenwood food processor with different disks for grating and slicing for £5 on a carboot and its been a godsend.
    Slimming World at target
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »

No problem LW :)
    I'd bankrupt you trying .... I weigh about 8½ stone, so that's a LOT of feeding to get me super big.

Put me down for 2 pies/week to get started.

Only 2 ? I was thinking 3 at least ....with chips :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport