PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

No T Words mentioned at all - a fresh start

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    oh thanks :) they sound lovely and I`ll be using your ldeas, starting tomorrow

Sad or what but I do look forward to sunday evening tv lately. Call the midwife and birdsong. I do like these nostalgic dramas. Re call the midwife though, there is so much in there that reminds me of my childhood. The screens, the dishes they use, the whole ambience. It really was like that when I was little and I remember the midwife coming on a bike
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I love Call the Midwife too kittie. Havent seen Birdsong yet ;must catch up on iplayer.
  • cat_smith
    cat_smith Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    I think I might see where there is one near me - I can never remember if the one in Kilsyth is Lidl or Aldi. It's the one which sells the very tasty lasagne.

It's a Lidl.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • Evening all...o i love call the midwife..hubby thought maybe i wouldn't want to watch it with what happened to us and all that..but i do know life has to go on..its the best thing sunday has to offer..

Had a few lazy days..but not spent any money..been looking for bits and bobs for my house do-over..found some lovely floral green curtains on ebay..i am watching them..hope i win..
    Just been on frugal queens blog and whoowee has she got a recipe for apricot bars..they look lovely and definitely moreish..got some dried apricots in my store cupboard..going to give them a whirl tomorrow..
    My mother popped over earlier..she gave me some of my grans old linen napkins and knitting needles..she also asked if i would like my grans old china..blurted out of course i bloody would lol...its my fave thing of my grans..i can see her pouring the tea in to the teacups just thinking about it...
    Well me and my big mouth had to mention "what winter"..and it seems it was listening to me..so 4 weeks of siberian winter is heading our way.Hope all of us are ready..store cupboards full,candles,big blankets,thermals,hot water bottles,thermos flasks ect..are we ready ladies?I know i am..so bring it on..lmao..
    Hope your all ok..
    love
    ftm
    Be who you are, not what the world expects you to be..:smileyhea

:jDebt free and loving it.
  • scottishminnie
    scottishminnie Posts: 3,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 January 2012 at 11:20PM
    Siberian winter:eek::eek::eek::eek: I've got a nice big industrial generator now for the power cuts but I'd rather not use it and I've been working my way through the store cupboard and freezer because I was scared I would end up with too much. Oh dear!
    I do have lots of baked beans and toilet roll so I guess we could survive on the beans - which may mean we need the other though:o

I didn't make the scones today but made bread and microwave jam instead and took it to a dear friend of my parents. He has limited mobility due to illness but his mind is razor sharp. Sadly he lost his wife last year so is home alone a lot of the time now. He was thrilled with the bread and jam which made me feel really quite humble. It does me good to spend some time with others who are less fortunate now and then to remind me never to take things for granted.

I will make the scones tomorrow though, I need to get moving on my bags of SR flour as the date on them is March. I do recall talk on here of freezing flour so will have to go search for that discussion. It would also use up some freezer space as I've always been told a full freezer runs more efficiently than a half empty one.

It's really cold here tonight so I'm sitting at the radiator with a G&T and an almost empty bag of chocolate peanuts.Hubby has a can of cola and is watching a John Wayne movie. He commented earlier that it seems light years ago that we would have been horrified at the prospect of a Saturday night in, now I kind of feel a bit put out if I don't get to stay in at the weekend. Changed days - and probably a sign of us being a pair of boring old fogies!

FTM - I have both grandma's china sets and wouldn't part with them for anything. Granny C had a 1920's art deco set which is fantastic - she left it to me as she said my mother (her only daughter) wasn't as careful as I was. I'm now terrified to use it in case it gets broken.
    Granny M's 2 sets are a bit more flowery but much loved nevertheless. She was a bit more of a practical woman so I have no hang ups about using hers.

I like the sound of the apricot bars -may make them later in the week. I feel the need for a batch of twinks hobnobs too. Looks like I will be having a baking day tomorrow!
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • renegade
    renegade Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    oldtractor wrote: »
    I love Call the Midwife too kittie. Havent seen Birdsong yet ;must catch up on iplayer.
    I have recorded Birdsong as I have read the book and it was the best book I have ever read, had me in tears. I just hope this drama is as good, can't wait to see the 2 programmes together, perfect for a boring night when nothing on TV worth watching.
    Also a fan of Midwife too and i also remember the days when these things really happened, nostalgic viewing.
    You live..You learn.:)
  • MaLarkin
    MaLarkin Posts: 132 Forumite
    Good Morning everyone how lovely to see this thread revived. My computer died just before xmas and I was busy with work then came back to discover it way down the boards.

Still got computer problems but at least I can get on line now.
    I am feeling very positive at the moment. I always find Xmas difficult (bad associations) and am glad to reach the New Year and I am very much in full "count your blessings mode" A good job because my man makes Victor Meldrew look like a real bundle of fun. I swear if we won the lottery he'd find something to moan about.

Just got an allotment after waiting years (well half of one) so thrilled about that and about having somewhere to ask for advice.

I'm not a prolific poster but I will be more regular now because I really hope this thread keeps going.

Love to all :grouphug: dodgy hugs to those who need them. Got to get ready for work now.
  • renegade wrote: »
    I have recorded Birdsong as I have read the book and it was the best book I have ever read, had me in tears. I just hope this drama is as good, can't wait to see the 2 programmes together, perfect for a boring night when nothing on TV worth watching.
    Also a fan of Midwife too and i also remember the days when these things really happened, nostalgic viewing.

Probably just me....I also loved the book and read it at least twice.
    The TV play (only first part watched, obviously) I found slow and plodding. Too many meaningful looks and "Harold Pinter pauses" ifykwim. Plus the lead bloke wasn't manly enough for me, a bit insipid.
    I shall watch tonight's episode and hope I enjoy it more. Love ..."The midwife" though!
    Normal people worry me.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It`s freezing today, winter at last :) and I like it because it won`t be endless and it means the garlic will split into cloves. The pepper seeds have sprouted and are now out of the propagator into a big tray with a top and the vents are open and they are exposed to light. The realseed co is brilliant, their seeds are so reliable :) and I want more chillis in the freezer so have just ordered 2 more types. Chillis work great in the freezer, I just pop them into a bag and chop them frozen. I do the same with fresh ginger and frozen ginger is easy to grate as well

Stove is on all day today. Chicken casserole is ready for the oven and chocs and wine on standby for a good long and enjoyable tv session tonight. Oooh its one of those lovely cosy days I have been waiting months for
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Sorry I wasn't around yesterday - I was too fed up as the leak in my bathroom still hasn't been fixed - the plumber did eventually turn up yesterday (45 mins late :mad:), couldn't find the stopcock, and left again. :mad: My landlord is going to get an earful from me tomorrow: I'll also ask if I can have a discount off next month's rent to make up for all the money I'm spending laundering towels in an effort to protect the floor from all the water. (Unlikely, but if you don't ask you don't get. ;))

Thanks for the warning about the approaching cold weather. It looks like my new furry boots, which I got very cheap in a sale last week (reduced from £90 to £27 :money:) might come in handy after all. :D

I hope everyone enjoys the TV programmes tonight - I won't be watching as they're not really my thing and I've promised to go to a pub quiz anyway. The pub has an open fire and a very friendly pub cat who I hope to persuade to sit on my lap so we can share our warmth. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure