Will the dentist ruin my credit score?

Options
Hi guys,

I'm aware that my title sounds a bit ridiculous, but I'm honestly furious! Long, boring story short a month or so ago I attended an emergency dentist and had treatment done. I've never really had to pay for treatment before since the last time I attended was approx. 9/10 years ago. Informed by the dentist it would be £170 and when I asked him about instalments he told me to sort it out with the receptionist. I done just that and was told to "just pay what I can" and told her I'd pop in after each payday with around £70/80 until it was paid, so that was that sorted or so I thought!
2 weeks later I had 4 missed calls from the practice manager while I was at work, when I called back I was informed that I would have to pay the remaining balance ASAP and that they do not offer treatment prices in instalments. I apologised and we agreed that I would pay the remaining balance 3 weeks later to allow me to work a few bank shifts to scrape the money together. The manager sounded sympathetic and understanding and said she was happy for this arrangement.
A week after the phone call I received 5 letters informing me of my bill, I contacted the dentist each time and informed that I would have to discuss this with the practice manager, however she was on annual leave. This Thursday when I got paid I paid the full balance and arranged my next appointment, now aware that I would have to start saving up. Then today (Saturday) I received a letter from a debt collection agency! I am so angry, after that snake of a woman telling me that she was happy with the arrangement I feel furious!
Basically my question is: will this affect my credit file? At the moment I'm on good ground, I've worked so hard over the past year to pay of my loan and credit card to start looking into buying my own place and I'm scared this will muck it all up. Most of all I'm angry at myself for being so trusting over the phone, normally I'm quite savvy about getting things in writing via email/letter but she sounded so genuine on the phone!

Apologises for the late night rambling, any advice would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I would imagine that of all the things a dentist could possibly do to you, ruining your credit score is about the least of your worries..! :eek:
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,440 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ce91 wrote: »
    Basically my question is: will this affect my credit file?

No - it's very, very unlikely that a dentist would be sharing information with a credit reference agency...

... unless they take you to court and you get a CCJ.
    ce91 wrote: »
    ... and arranged my next appointment ...

But I guess they could refuse to give you any further treatment, if they decide you are a 'bad payer'.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They would need to go to court and get a ccj, and even then you would have time (i think 30 days) to pay before it would have any impact on your credit score
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Find a new dentist. If they are so shoddy and contradictory over payment schedules they could also be lapsing in other areas.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • RG2015
    RG2015 Posts: 5,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 December 2017 at 9:54AM
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    They would need to go to court and get a ccj, and even then you would have time (i think 30 days) to pay before it would have any impact on your credit score
    Ouch! Impacted credit scores can be quite painful. :)

To be serious though, you should be fine but you should check your credit report regularly anyway. You can do this free for the three credit reporting agencies as follows:

Experian via MSE Credit Club
    Equifax via Clearscore
    Callcredit via Noddle
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Find a new dentist. If they are so shoddy and contradictory over payment schedules they could also be lapsing in other areas.

The work completed needs to be paid for though, all I can see that maybe shoddy from the thread is the OP's attitude to paying, wants the work done NOW but pay much later....or as and when.
    I'm semi sure (although I wasn't there) that reception explained the payment options available , not to pay as and when.
    Even at the quoted agreed plan then that's 3 months to clear the bill, to me by the time the letters arrived there would only be one more installment at the most to be outstanding.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are you not an nhs patient?
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sncjw wrote: »
    Are you not an nhs patient?

NHS patients still have to pay unless they have an exemption certificate or are on JSA etc.
  • ce91
    ce91 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    DUTR wrote: »
    The work completed needs to be paid for though, all I can see that maybe shoddy from the thread is the OP's attitude to paying, wants the work done NOW but pay much later....or as and when.
    I'm semi sure (although I wasn't there) that reception explained the payment options available , not to pay as and when.
    Even at the quoted agreed plan then that's 3 months to clear the bill, to me by the time the letters arrived there would only be one more installment at the most to be outstanding.

No, the receptionist DID inform me that I could drop in as long as it was paid before my next appointment, which was supposed to be the 10th of December. Over just a few weeks I received numerous letters informing me of my bill despite discussing it with the practice manager. I don't believe my attitude is 'shoddy', I trusted the receptionist AND the practice manager who said they would give me time. They didn't even give me 3 months to pay the bill, I would be lucky if they even gave me 3 weeks!
  • ce91
    ce91 Posts: 9 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies! I check my credit score regularly via clear score and get regular updates, I've worked so hard over the past year and getting that letter in just made me really angry. I did actually pay the bill 2 days before the letter came through the door, should I contact the debt company and inform them of this?
    I'm planning on calling the dentist again on Monday and speaking to the manager to request I'm taken off the books and finding a new dentist asap!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure