Help please in setting up new Smart TV

Comments

• melb
    melb Posts: 2,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi there yes her crappy old TV worked fine when connected to the o!d sky box .we got a man round who wired up connections from the old sky dish to the bedrooms and we had an old sky box and an old hd sky box which the kids used to watch freeview/freesat in their rooms.

I tried connecting direct from the sky dish connection to the TV as advised above, which is a screw in old fashioned aerial type thing but this didn't work either.

On the installation menu I have tried all of the suggested ways of scanning for channels and none are working.

Think I will just have to pay someone to come round and sort it out for me as I have been at it for two weeks now off and on lol!
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    melb wrote: »
    Hi there yes her crappy old TV worked fine when connected to the o!d sky box .we got a man round who wired up connections from the old sky dish to the bedrooms and we had an old sky box and an old hd sky box which the kids used to watch freeview/freesat in their rooms.

I tried connecting direct from the sky dish connection to the TV as advised above, which is a screw in old fashioned aerial type thing but this didn't work either.

On the installation menu I have tried all of the suggested ways of scanning for channels and none are working.

Think I will just have to pay someone to come round and sort it out for me as I have been at it for two weeks now off and on lol!

You need to connect the lead that you call the "aerial" from your Sky dish to ANT-SAT1 on the TV.
    Go into the Installation, Satellite menu and select Direct using the arrow keys.
    When you press OK it should scan for satellite channels, store them and you will then be able to select these using the remote.

If you don't connect the Sky dish directly to the TV and continue use the Sky box as you did previously with the old TV, there is no point trying to scan for channels on the new TV as the receiver is in the Sky box.
  • An excellent thread, thanks OP and all for posting, it's helped a technophobe like me no end !
    Bucket and Spade FC - Southend United - turning people to drink since 1906.
  • melb
    It would also have helped me if I wasn't such a numpty! If I can't scan for channels as I'm routing the connection through the sky box, how can I access these channels please?
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 9 December 2017 at 3:28PM
    To access and tune the TV for normal terrestrial channels (Freeview) you need a normal aerial plugged directly into the TV, not a dish.

If you have your Sky box connected to the TV via an HDMI cable switch the TV input to Sat or AV select which HDMI input you are using and the TV will pick up the channels from the Sky box, you cannot tune the TV to pick up channels from the Sky box.

Edit:- On your remote control the input selector button (circle with an arrow on it) is the top right hand one opposite the on/off.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    If you don't plug the correct lead into the correct socket and select the appropriate source in the tuning menu you will get nowhere. Post #11 shows the satellite connector which is a 'F' plug which screws in and the TV plug a 'Belling-Lee' which pushes in.

As you have already been informed in Post#6, that TV might not allow any other input to be selected until it has been tuned in to an aerial source.
  • melb
    Thanks I do not have an aerial connection coming from the sky box - just one into the sky box from outside which I tried connecting direct to the tv by screwing into the correct port suggested in post no 11.

I have tried using a scarf between TV and sky box with no luck either although I did get a message about telephone back up and making sure I had my telephone connected.

I think I am doing something very silly and not doing something very basic but can't work out what!
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2017 at 4:43PM
    Thanks I do not have an aerial connection coming from the sky box - just one into the sky box from outside which I tried connecting direct to the tv by screwing into the correct port suggested in post no 11.

Did you go into the tuning menu and select the appropriate input and follow on screen instructions (assuming there were some)? Or did you try to initiate tuning for the appropriate input?
    I have tried using a scarf between TV and sky box with no luck either although I did get a message about telephone back up and making sure I had my telephone connected.

I assume you mean SCART lead, in that case screw the satellite connection back in to the Sky box and you should be able to view via the Sky box by selecting the appropriate source input.
    I think I am doing something very silly and not doing something very basic but can't work out what!

Thousands of TV's are sold every day. Maybe someone could help you out if you give a rough location i.e. Town or City?
  • melb
    Hi there the problem is I don't know which source or input to choose as have tried them all and none work. What is the correct input for SCART connection please?
  • emptybox
    emptybox Posts: 442 Forumite
    edited 9 December 2017 at 5:37PM
    Hi there the problem is I don't know which source or input to choose as have tried them all and none work. What is the correct input for SCART connection please?

It's probably called AV1 or AV2 or something like that.
    But if you've tried them all the sources and none show the picture from the Sky box, then it doesn't matter what they are called really.

I think you said it was a SkyHD box? In which case HDMI would be a better option than scart.

This is all dependent on the Sky box having the correct connection from your satellite dish, and it being shown to be previously working with the old TV.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure