PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Milk was purchased, another £1.48 off the budget.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Spent £14 odd quid today, totalling £24 something this month, which is a lot at this point for me to have spent, but really did some big stocking up with tins of various beans, grains, lentils etc., so it will last a good part of the month. I've done a very loose meal plan, but will probably stick to it, as I'm trying to use stuff up.

BREAKFASTS
    will be berry smoothies with spirulina n other seed stuff 'lurking'

LUNCHES
    will be homemade soups, I have so far tomato & lentil and a curried broccoli one, gonna make a red lentil & carrot one methinks

DINNER
    Mushroom salad (tonight)
    Thai chickpea, sweet potato & spinach curry,
    Veggie meatballs, salad & bulgar wheat
    Veggie bangers & swede & carrot mash with onions & gravy
    Frys polony, with whatever is in the fridge & bulgar wheat salad
    Ethiopian bean & lentil curry with bulgar wheat
    A day of soup - for my diet fasting thing

Not wanting to food shop for a week
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I popped into the sm garage shop that's on my route home from work today to get bananas as we'd run out and spotted ys grapes and plums and couldn't resist. So a spend of £2.12. We're away on holiday from Saturday so I'm going to try not to buy anything else and just use up the stuff in the fridge before we go.

£46.62/£100
  • Kittencat
    Kittencat Posts: 699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My week is Tues - Tues this month. Didn't really do a main shop this week just lots of top up shops, adding them all up makes £54.64. Happy with that!!

So £70.89+£54.64 = £125.53

I'm well on target.
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    First shop of the month was a largish £111.09 but I got a lot of meat.

Meal plan is:
    SAT: Spanish chicken
    SUN: HM burgers and potato wedges
    MON: Chicken and spring veg casserole. So rainy I think I'll add dumplings for comfort food!
    TUES: Chilli and rice with Mexican dips and tortilla chips
    WED: Chicken pie, peas and chips
    THURS: Baked potatoes with various toppings
    FRI: Pizzas

Pleased I have got the plan as I don't feel very inspired today!
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    So after a massive supermarket delivery I'm now on £74.48/£100. Hopefully that's most of three week's food though, with lots in the freezer and meals planned.

We'll see!
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • Ended up making Cuban pork yesterday. Capsicum, black beans, lime and orange juice, lots of cubes of roast pork, all served with rice and sour cream and fresh coriander. YUM. That'll replace a vegetarian chilli I had on the meal plan, but then I've basically got all those ingredients left in my pantry for next week.

The rest of the week looks like this:

Tuesday: Tuna/potato patties with salad and lemon mayonnaise
    Wednesday: Spinach and feta quiche, assuming that my chickens get their laying acts together
    Thursday: Bolognese for everyone else, lentil soup for me
    Friday: Marinated pork chops, chips, veg.

Small top up shop this morning because I'm not getting enough time to make bread so needed to buy a loaf, plus some garlic and a bag of cheap apples. At $261/950.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yay. NSD yesterday- only work travel which I don't count as I can't avoid it/reschedule it.

Should be NSD today as well. Don't need anything food wise and I'm not meeting anyone for a catch up.
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
  • Skintmama
    Skintmama Posts: 471 Forumite
    We shopped on 1st June, spending £79.35 across the farm shop and discount SM. That means we have a reasonable amount of meat and eggs in stock now.

I haven't meal planned ahead as plans keep changing at the moment. It feels a bit disorganised, however, I have reined myself in on the purchasing of fresh vegetables and fruit, making sure I can easily use up what we have. It has been useful to discover all the substitutions that I can make in recipes to good effect, even if they don't much resemble the original recipe that inspired the dish. I remind myself that this is home cooking; attractive, nutritious and tasty is perfectly adequate :D
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,869 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi everyone,
    Budgets updated to here :)
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure