PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Estate agent requesting Proof of deposit/ mortgage agreement before offer accepted

Comments

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    muffle123 wrote: »
    It is a large amount as we have inherited money we are using for part of the deposit but some of that wont be in our account for another couple of weeks...

Hmmm... This is exactly the sort of thing that will worry EAs and vendors a lot.

If you've already mentioned this to the EA, that may be why they're taking a firm stance.

I expect the EA has dealt with many buyers who say this - and then the inheritance takes much longer than expected to arrive, is not as much as expected, or never arrives at all.
  • pops
    pops Posts: 21 Forumite
    Hey

From my recent experience with at least 4 different EA's. All of them have asked for proof of Deposit and an AIP before passing an offer over to the vendor.

The worst of which were Entwistle Green, who forced me into booking an appointment to "confirm my financial" validity to make the offer, when in actual fact they just wanted to see if they could direct me towards their mortgage advisors and conveyances. They tried to apply a lot of pressure in this case, even passively implying that by going with their MA and conveyance would as a consequence make things go through quicker.

I'd take what they say with a pinch of salt and confirm with them on the phone that you already have an AIP and are very qualified to make an offer.
  • When I sold my last house my EA checked the FTB that wanted it had deposit and a mortgage agreed. They duly came back to me and told me exactly how much deposit my buyer had and where it had come from and who the mortgage was arranged with.

Admitted it was an FTB house (2 bedroom terrace) and so the risk of having an inexperienced buyer being rather over-optimistic was higher.

Knowing that that was all "present and correct" did incline me towards that buyer rather than the one that was conducting a bidding war with them (ie a BTL investor).

I suspect my EA was biased towards my accepting a home-owner, rather than an investor, too and hence keener on getting this info. from them.
  • We had the same thing. I didn't really want to provide the information because, like you, we had a chunk of a deposit and I worried they would use this information to push our offer up. But to be fair they just wanted to check we had the finances in order. As soon as we provided the proof our offer was accepted. It's not pleasant but I understand it means they are not accepting offers from people who might not be able to cover the purchase.

Good luck with your offer.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    eddddy wrote: »

But I can also see that if the EA calls the vendor and says

"Muffle123 has offered £X, they're a FTB, we've seen evidence of their deposit, and we've seen their AIP - so they look like really strong proceedable buyers"

Part of me sees
    "Muffle123 has offered £X, they're a FTB, we've seen evidence of their deposit, and we've seen their AIP - they can afford more if you wish for them to increase their offer"
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    If you want to complete the sale quickly and get the EA on board I find that sending a copy of this information along with your offer does help. If the house has been on the market for a while it's not so important but if you want your offer to be accepted and there's a lot of interest it helps to be forthcoming. Having said that, I did that this morning and we're still waiting to hear back...
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    cjdavies wrote: »
    Part of me sees
    "Muffle123 has offered £X, they're a FTB, we've seen evidence of their deposit, and we've seen their AIP - they can afford more if you wish for them to increase their offer"

I'm not convinced.

The EA just wants the property sold. The result of the above strategy might be that the EA has to spend an extra 2 days 'haggling' backwards and forwards - in order to get an extra £5k out of the buyer.

So the EA earns his firm an extra £75 for 2 days work - that's not very cost efficient. (Or even worse the buyer gets the hump during the haggling and walks away.)

The EA would probably prefer the vendor accepted the first offer, so that the EA could then concentrate on selling other properties.
  • This is completely normal -if you were a seller wouldn't you want to have solid proof that the buyer about to make an offer on your house had the sufficient funds and had an AIP?
    Unfortunately you can't just take someones word for it.
    House for sale month: 4 :eek:
  • we were asked for this as the seller didn't like us - nothing to do with agents. We provided and she said our 20% wasn't sufficient deposit.

She ended up accepting an offer of nearly £20k less than ours 6 months down the line.

The agent was embarrassed on her behalf.

Paid off all Catalogues 10.10.2014
  • I wouldn't show an AIP. When we offered we said we had an AIP and a preferred solicitor. That was enough for the EA. THey wouldn't take it off the market after the offer was accepted until they had seen the full AIP which was fine.

It's none of the EAs business about the deposit.
    Save £200 a month : [STRIKE]Oct[/STRIKE] Nov Dec Jan Feb Mar Apr
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport