DLA HR mobility
ESA contributions based

I currently receive
IS
Child benefit
Child tax credits
Carer alowance.
Housing benefit

I gave up work March 2016 to look after DH full time this week i have been diagnosed with breast cancer and will require surgery, radio theraphy and possibly chemo after that. Currenty trying to work out how this will work as i will need to have a carer in for DH whilst I am unable to look after him.

Before I go to the benefits office on Monday can anyone shed some light on what will happen to our benefits. I am worried that if i am taken of IS i will lose the housing benefit which we need.

when my DH was diagnosed with cancer in 2008 he was immediatley put on to DLA on the HR and has remained there ever since but i dont think he will be entitled to Housing benefit on the DLA

really confused right now

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Has your husband's condition improved at all since 2008?

You'll need to cancel your IS and Carers Allowance and your husband can add you to his ESA claim and apply for a means tested top up (which would also cover housing benefit). Depending on your area that could come under Universal Credit.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It could be worth you contacting MacMillan. They have benefit advisers who should be able to help you through all ths.

I wish you the best with your treatment
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So sorry to read your first post - and hoping that the prognosis is good for you both. I reiterate NeilCr's suggestion about MacMillan - they were extremely helpful - giving practical and financial advice when my OH was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer xxx
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    NeilCr wrote: »
    It could be worth you contacting MacMillan. They have benefit advisers who should be able to help you through all ths.

I wish you the best with your treatment

I agree Macmillan are the people who can help. https://www.macmillan.org.uk/information-and-support/organising/benefits-and-financial-support/benefits-and-your-rights/index.html#161427
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Will getting somebody in to help with caring responsibilities mean the the OP can't continue to claim CA & IS? As long as she is at home, and able to provide care for 5 hours per day on average, wouldn't entitlement continue?
    I'm not looking for moral judgements on the rights and wrongs, but for a factual response.
  • TELLIT01 wrote: »
    Will getting somebody in to help with caring responsibilities mean the the OP can't continue to claim CA & IS? As long as she is at home, and able to provide care for 5 hours per day on average, wouldn't entitlement continue?
    I'm not looking for moral judgements on the rights and wrongs, but for a factual response.

Factually yes she can still claim both, !!!!!! morals
  • Thank you for the responses. Hopefully this will answer some questions

No DH has not improved he was diagnosed with Terminal can enter many years ago and has had several recurrences. Following all the surgery/chemo he now has very limited mobility as more frequently uses a chair when we are out, can’t manage stairs and walks with a stick. Poor vision, night time incontinence, high falls risk and epilepsy. He requires care for all daily activities from personal care to medications, cooking, getting out etc this care has always been provided by me whilst I was working full time and since I gave up work last year as it was getting too much. Never have we been offered any outside carer support. I also have 2 junior school age children to consider.

Now whilst I go through surgery and treatment I will be possibly at times be limited on what I can actually do, to be honest I have no idea how this will all affect me. But I know that I will need to have someone in to help with care for DH and children I did even consider an au pair for the children but it all costs money. Family is not really an option as we don’t have many around us who don’t have their out full time jobs certainly no retired parents to move in and help out.i do thankfully have some good friends.

Having read about the many benefits previously when I filled out these forms my concern was that they say you need to have been ill for at least 3 months. If I stop caring now when I go for surgery it won’t be 3 months so I won’t be able to claim anything
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,947 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    040178 wrote: »
    Thank you for the responses. Hopefully this will answer some questions

No DH has not improved he was diagnosed with Terminal can enter many years ago and has had several recurrences. Following all the surgery/chemo he now has very limited mobility as more frequently uses a chair when we are out, can’t manage stairs and walks with a stick. Poor vision, night time incontinence, high falls risk and epilepsy. He requires care for all daily activities from personal care to medications, cooking, getting out etc this care has always been provided by me whilst I was working full time and since I gave up work last year as it was getting too much. Never have we been offered any outside carer support. I also have 2 junior school age children to consider.

Now whilst I go through surgery and treatment I will be possibly at times be limited on what I can actually do, to be honest I have no idea how this will all affect me. But I know that I will need to have someone in to help with care for DH and children I did even consider an au pair for the children but it all costs money. Family is not really an option as we don’t have many around us who don’t have their out full time jobs certainly no retired parents to move in and help out.i do thankfully have some good friends.

Having read about the many benefits previously when I filled out these forms my concern was that they say you need to have been ill for at least 3 months. If I stop caring now when I go for surgery it won’t be 3 months so I won’t be able to claim anything

That only applies to PIP which is the benefit that's replaced DLA. If you stop claiming Carers Allowance and your Income Support stops then you'll be able to be put onto your husbands ESA claim and have the premiums added.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure