Playing Google Movies on non Smart TV

Options
neilmcl
neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 30 November 2017 at 12:14PM in Techie Stuff
Anyone know a way of playing a purchased Google Movie on a non-smart Panasonic plasma TV? I did read a suggestion that you could use the youtube app on a suitable device and cast the movie from that so using my Amazon Fire TV box I was able to get the movie loaded up put it wouldn't play, it just kept on stating that is wouldn't play on this device.

FYI, I don't have Chromecast or a Roku box although by TV does have DLNA and is wifi enabled.

Comments

• bengalknights
    Options
    Can you side load a DLNA player on your amazon tv box, if so that should then feed the tv
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You can side load most things to a Fire TV Box or Fire TV Stick. I've loaded several additional apps from my Kindle Fire 7 to my new Fire TV Stick using Apps2Fire. :)
    (You need the right CPU bit type of app ... both my Kindle and Stick are the same [32 bit I think] so the apps are compatible. Trying to install a 64 bit app onto a 32 bit device [or vice versa] won't work).

(I installed Google Play on my Kindle Fire to be able to get several other apps - including Kodi. You don't need to put Google Play on the Fire TV device).
  • neilmcl
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    You can side load most things to a Fire TV Box or Fire TV Stick. I've loaded several additional apps from my Kindle Fire 7 to my new Fire TV Stick using Apps2Fire. :)
    (You need the right CPU bit type of app ... both my Kindle and Stick are the same [32 bit I think] so the apps are compatible. Trying to install a 64 bit app onto a 32 bit device [or vice versa] won't work).

(I installed Google Play on my Kindle Fire to be able to get several other apps - including Kodi. You don't need to put Google Play on the Fire TV device).
    So can I push the Google Movies & TV app from my phone to my Fire TV via Apps2Fire and play it that way?
  • DoaM
    Options
    Google apps may be different ... the device may need to have Google services running. But there's no harm in trying ... the app will either install or it won't; the chances of bricking your Fire TV device are remote.
  • neilmcl
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Google apps may be different ... the device may need to have Google services running. But there's no harm in trying ... the app will either install or it won't; the chances of bricking your Fire TV device are remote.
    Just had a go and whilst it installed OK, it wouldn't run without the Google Play services.
  • A HDMI wire from your phone to TV? like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OCGCUK6
  • DoaM
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Just had a go and whilst it installed OK, it wouldn't run without the Google Play services.

I got Google Play (and Home) working on my Kindle Fire ... not too difficult to do. (Google it. You need to download some APKs and install them in sequence). Perhaps a Fire TV device can be similarly updated?
  • neilmcl
    Options
    OK, so I finally got it to work. I went back to using the Youtube app route but this time, instead of using the app on my Fire TV box I used the app on my Xbox One instead. I suppose it's no real surprise that the app doesn't work this way on Amazon devices.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure