FIL died intestate

1235»

Comments

• leespot
    leespot Posts: 554 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2017 at 10:48AM
    The request was confirmed over the weekend - the widow is requesting the 3 daughters to sign away any claim to the estate, in effect leaving everything to her and her two children. She was also adamant that only one of the 3 daughters needs to sign a form to agree to this.

They will be taking advice on how next to proceed with things because they are not comfortable signing away their rights to claim anything from the estate.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Why do they not just tell her to take a running jump?
    Just because the wife is requesting it doesn't mean they have to give it any consideration.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    leespot wrote: »
    They will be taking advice on how next to proceed with things because they are not comfortable signing away their rights to claim anything from the estate.
    elsien wrote: »
    Why do they not just tell her to take a running jump?

Just because the wife is requesting it doesn't mean they have to give it any consideration.

This ^.

No need to pay for advice - just say no. That's the end of the issue.
  • leespot
    Mojisola wrote: »
    This ^.

No need to pay for advice - just say no. That's the end of the issue.

They just want clarification as to what the process is that she has to follow - they're not going all guns blazing looking for a fight, and they've told her they won't be signing anything away. They really just want to know that if she tells them something it is correct and that they're not being led a merry dance.
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Leespot - may I suggest, as politely as I know how, that if you discuss this whole matter with an adviser or solicitor in the future, you make real effort to describe the people involved in the common terms for those individuals.

It is clear that your dislike/mistrust of your 'mother in law' 'the ex-wife' 'the FiL wife' ' has led to great confusion among readers of this thread. Why not just say "their mother" or "the widow" since anything that makes it easier to understand a situation is a good thing, don't you think?

You don't have to like your employer in order to make others understand who you are talking about when you mention 'the boss'.

Good luck with sorting out what is obviously a very complex and emotional situation.
  • leespot
    Leespot - may I suggest, as politely as I know how, that if you discuss this whole matter with an adviser or solicitor in the future, you make real effort to describe the people involved in the common terms for those individuals.

It is clear that your dislike/mistrust of your 'mother in law' 'the ex-wife' 'the FiL wife' ' has led to great confusion among readers of this thread. Why not just say "their mother" or "the widow" since anything that makes it easier to understand a situation is a good thing, don't you think?

You don't have to like your employer in order to make others understand who you are talking about when you mention 'the boss'.

Good luck with sorting out what is obviously a very complex and emotional situation.

Thanks for the wishes of luck.

I've amended most of the posts to try and make it clearer for people not able to follow what was written.

I have no relationship with the widow, there is an only a feeling of mistrust based on what she has been asking people to do.
  • Tuesday_Tenor
    Tuesday_Tenor Posts: 998 Forumite
    edited 29 May 2017 at 1:17PM
    I assume that in the sad circumstances, the two minors want to be re-united with their mother, and want to continue living in the family home; the usual aim is least disruption to the children re living arrangements and schooling. It sounds like these two lads are experiencing considerable disruption ( with mother's new partner in the picture as well) , and they have our sympathy. But as no other concerns about their welfare, or other suggestions for living arrangements, have been made, I will assume them staying in the house with their returned mother, plus now her new partner, is probably the situation that will prevail.

I don't get the sense that any of the older half-siblings are wanting to get their hands on their share NOW at the expense of further disrupting the young boys; they just, quite reasonably want to protect their share.

There is absolutely no reason for any of the older children should give up their right to their part of the inheritance, while accepting that, while the young sons need a home, and the only estate asset is the property, their share may share may need to be part-ownership of the home.

However, a further complication to be aware of is that a property cannot be owned by more than 4 people/trustees. The widow might be trying to simplify things by getting the older siblings to renounce their shares. The older siblings should not be pressurised into doing this, and are right to stand firm and seek legal advice. I'm not sure what structures/mechanisms/buy-outs will be necessary to make this situation work out. However, it must be possible, even if more complicated than usual.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure