PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I was going to try and reduce my spends this month, but I am having a house guest for a week or so, not sure how long, so will try to keep to £125.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Hi all,

I'm so cross with myself! Every month I set my target, and every month I mean to keep adding up what I spend, and every month I get partway through and lose it! I'm guessing I went over in May, but don't know by how much. It's so frustrating!!

My targets for this month are firstly, to actually keep track (!!) and secondly to stick to my £100 target. Must do it!! I don't want the grocery spends to get out of hand...
    PG x

Ps - thanks to all of the wonderful people I 'see' on this thread, and especially to those who run it! X
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all! June already, can you believe it?!?!

Thanks as always to Coxy, Zip and lynnejk for doing a sterling job in running the thread and keeping us lot under control!

OK so I'm still in May at the moment but my June starts on 26 May, so not long to go.

I'd like to be in for £150 for June please.

Not quite sure why, but I've planned my first two weeks meals plus my initial stock up shop and the shopping lists for those two weeks...
    As it stands, I'll do an 0cado shop on 26 May which will come to £48.55 unless I can get a £5 off voucher (it will cover all cleaning stuff needed plus loo roll for the month, plus storecupboard stuff such as tinned toms, cashews and olive oil)... plus a shop for the first week which will come to at the MAX £36.82, and the second week shop will be MAX £18.76.

First weeks meals will be:
    Squash, Orange and Barley salad
    and
    Carrot, Tarragon and White Bean soup
    for lunches

plus
    Curried Tofu Wraps (chapati wraps)
    and
    Spiced Cauliflower with Chickpeas, Herbs and Pine Nuts
    for dinners

Second weeks meals will be:
    Crunchy Bulgar Salad
    and
    Squash and Barley Salad with Balsamic dressing
    for lunches

plus
    Roasted Cauliflower and Broccoli Bowl with Tahini dressing
    and
    Sweet Potato and Coconut Curry
    for dinners

I will have a couple of freezer meals as backup, plus I have enough oats etc for breakfasts for the month.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    edited 21 May 2017 at 4:53PM
    Hi everyone :)

You all may not remember me, but I used to hang around here a little bit a few years ago :)

I am trying to clear some debt, so although I still stick to a modest budget of £60 per week (and usually manage) I just want that extra kick up the bum to keep me on track.

I'm a married, working mum of two rapidly growing boys aged 9 and 12 and one Yorkie and we (dog excepted) follow a vegan lifestyle. Our budget suits us just fine (and I often come in under target).

I'm technically jumping in for June, but as that's only a week away I am going to start now.

Edit: Menu plan done, time to go shopping! This week I only have £40 left, as I bought some bits yesterday. I have some vouchers as backup if needed :)

Lunch
    Basic ramen
    Curried lentil soup
    Tofu scramble on wholewheat toast
    Homemade Hummus sandwiches
    Homemade Tomato soup
    Beans on toast
    Leftovers lunch

Dinners
    Homemade Lentil sausages, mash, cabbage & carrots
    Sweet Potato pancakes with spinach & Mushrooms
    Baked Potato & Beans
    Wholewheat Pasta with homemade tomato & basil sauce
    Lentil & bean casserole with dumplings
    Tofu satay with wholewheat noodles
    Homemade pizza

Nice to "see" you all and thanks to those still running the threads :D
    Fox
    x
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi I'm aiming for £250 this month - I have been to the butchers and got enough meat for 2 weeks which should help and I'm really going to try at meal planning t keep us on track - I've gott £215/£250 so far my month runs 20th May to 20th June and is for me DH,2 children ages 7 & 3 and 2 cats!!
    Living the simple life
  • FoxFace
    Shopping for the week done, £34.70p. Using the £5 for my son's school trip and the 30p is going in my sealed pot :)
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I'm in again please. As "my" June for two adults will run from May 26 to June 29 (a 5-week month), I'd like to go for £200 - just food (cleaning/household/toiletries from a separate budget).

Thanks zippychick and Coxy11 for keeping me on track. :A
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • I'm in for June for £225. Thanks to everyone who runs and contributes to this thread. It has significantly cut down my spending. :A
  • Hi there I am new around here and thought this would be a great way to get me kickstarted on my moneysaving journey!

I have no idea what we spend monthly so this month will be a bit of a test I think, there are two of us (with first baby on the way!) and so I am going to say £200!
  • FoxFace
    yllek_uk wrote: »
    Hi there I am new around here and thought this would be a great way to get me kickstarted on my moneysaving journey!

I have no idea what we spend monthly so this month will be a bit of a test I think, there are two of us (with first baby on the way!) and so I am going to say £200!

Welcome! :) This month will hopefully give you an insight into what you are spending! Lots of support and advice on here so good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport