San Francisco – two Centre holiday suggestions?

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I did a nice "open jaw" holiday in 2000 flying in to SFO and out of LAX and hiring a car to go yosemite - vegas - sedona - wickenburg - palm springs - I benefited from not having to drive as I had injured my arm the week before flying (went with mother & sister)
  • I did a similar trip to boliston.
    My advice would be to hire a car but not for the time you are in San Francisco.
    Parking in the city is at a premium and not all hotels have parking facilities and of those that do, many charge for parking.
    The public transport in SF is extremely good and the cable cars and street cars will get you anywhere in the city quickly and cheaply.
    It's also very easy to hire a cycle for the day (A very good trip is to over the Golden gate bridge to Sausalito then get a ferry back to SF).

This is basically what I did a few years ago. I spent 6 days in SF then picked up a car and drove north to Yosemite where I stayed for a couple of days, through Death Valley with a one night stay to Las Vegas where I stayed for 2 days. (but to be honest, 1 day just to have seen the place would have been enough).
    I then drove to Los Angeles where I dropped of the car and flew home.
    Alamo didn't charge a fee for dropping off at a different location provided the pick and drop off are in the same state.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    We kept our car for San Francisco. Just don't stay in a hotel that charges for parking.
    We stayed at a Travelodge. Having the car was useful for day trips outside San Francisco, Muir Beach for example and shopping. For the city itself, we, in the main, walked.
  • blindman wrote: »
    Wierd itin

Was there a OW drop off fee for the car?

If your bucket list includes SF, Vegas, Yosemite and Death Valley then not weird at all.

And yes.
    Ethical moneysaver
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If your bucket list includes SF, Vegas, Yosemite and Death Valley then not weird at all.

And yes.

Surely you could have flown into SFO-then driven to Yosemite, death valley and LAS Vegas then flown home??

IIRC No OW fees from SFO to Nevada
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    blindman wrote: »
    Surely you could have flown into SFO-then driven to Yosemite, death valley and LAS Vegas then flown home??

blindman

That link about oneway fees is just what a lot of posters have been looking for.
    Interesting about the one way charges out of SFO during July & Aug.
  • blindman wrote: »

The info given on that link isn't correct.
    I've just done a quick test booking with both Alamo and Avis and they both charge a fee for picking up in SF and dropping off in LV.
    Alamo is about £120 and Avis is £90.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 14 October 2016 at 5:18PM
    The info given on that link isn't correct.
    I've just done a quick test booking with both Alamo and Avis and they both charge a fee for picking up in SF and dropping off in LV.
    Alamo is about £120 and Avis is £90.

was it a July or Aug booking ? (the article doesn't suggest free one way with Avis, regardless of booking date)

p.s. that link is VERY handy for looking at the mileage brackets for one way rentals.
    One of my rentals next year is 520 miles
    $300 with Dollar, Thrifty & Alamo
    $399 with National
    an eye watering $750 with Hertz (I've researched that one seperately)
    $500 with Fox

But a not so bad at all $100 with Avis
  • Chyna-s
    Chyna-s Posts: 3,096
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    blindman wrote: »

This is exactly my trip next month SF-YNP-DV-LV. No one way fee charged.
    Thank you all who post.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    One way fees can even vary on the type of car chosen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure