PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've had a 275ml mug of water heating in a rectangular mess tin for 30 minutes (I'm giving it minutes timed between testings) and it's hot enough to make a 'not too hot' cup of instant coffee with now. I'll keep doing 10 minute increments and see how long it takes to boil.
  • Witless
    Witless Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm beginning to think they all hold us in utter contempt and think they can act and do in any way they want to while they search for the vainglory of being in charge and being in 'the media eye', it almost feels they consider themselves unaccountable for any of their actions and the consequences thereof. Almost like life and people aren't real but part of a 'game' where all is expendable but their ego and their ultimate standing within their elite little group!

Only beginning to think?;)

I've known that as an absolute fact for decades.:mad:
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    Do you remember Martha Stewart's statement about the "little people" for whom laws, rules and regulations applied? She was disabused of her notion that tax did not apply to her when she went to prison.

But wasn't she imprisoned for letting the cat out of the bag, rather than for not paying her tax? :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 July 2017 at 8:14PM
    Options
    I got the water after 50 minutes to almost hot enough to make tea and then had to go and walk Maisie doggie so had to be tea lights out. Tomorrow I will start the whole process again and time how long (if it ever does) it takes to boil water and report back!

I've just had the water heating for a timed hour and although not anywhere near boiling it is certainly hot enough top make a herb tea or instant coffee. The heater only has two depressions for tea lights and the mess tin is considerably larger than the area heated directly by the flames so tomorrow I'll find a smaller diameter round heatproof container which will collect more heat although the water in it will be deeper and see if I can get it to boil or I might add a couple more tea lights as there's room and see if that makes a difference.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    To be fair, it wasn't Martha Stewart who said only the little people pay taxes, that was Leona Helmsley

Martha Stewart's daughter's ex boyfriend got hold of some inside information that a particular company's share price was going to fall because some drug tests had shown that a new drug they were developing didn't work. So she was able to sell her shares before the news became public.

She would have been fined in the U.K. In the US you go to jail
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • smeeth
    smeeth Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks MrsL, no store near us but will look online!
    Anchor yourself to the foundations of everything you love.

Thank you to all those who post competitions!:beer:
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I didn't realise that maryb. Thanks for the info :)

Lyn You seem to have taken on the mantle of Bedsit Bob, trying something out to see how well it does the job, then "cascading" the info to the rest of us!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not possible Ivyleaf, no one could possibly take over the mantle from BB, if anyone did try Buggalugs would come and get whoever tried and turn them into mincemeat!
  • emmwri
    emmwri Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all, been away enjoying last few days with my eldest before he's away for 2 weeks, missing him already!

Quick update on my prepping scenario:
    1. Calling it a game has worked wonders with my DS2 who is now eating lots of different things so that we can only use what we have in.
    2. I have realised some of my spices are a bit old and tasteless so need replacing!
    3. I have things in my cupboard I had completely forgotten about.
    4. I need to keep some money out of the banking system.
    5. Baking bread is satisfying and so much tastier than shop bought.

We are now on Day 6 of not spending other than what is already lying around. The petrol is almost gone in the car and I need to visit my dissertation tutor so I will have to stop the scenario as we only have £4.87 left! I have really retrained myself to making meals stretch, as I did years ago and finding some new yummy but cheap dishes. Itvis very time consuming for done things though so I'm trying to practice and develop routines because once I'm back teaching my time is very limited! I also realise I need some money stashed out of the bank in case something went wrong as I always rely on paying with card. Tinned stuff at the back of the cupboard has been great, so I definitely need to find somewhere to stash tins!
    Aug 2017 GC Budget £180
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Today I've found a small round billy can with a lid and used 4 tea lights under it in the Sommarlek teapot heater and it's taken an hour but a mug of water is now boiling!

From a prepping perspective I now know it will heat well enough to warm up tinned foods and is safe to use indoors on the proper surface so is a useful piece of kit to aquire at £3 and will be useful in power cuts for hot drinks/instant mash/mug shots etc. so I'm glad I bought one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure