Changing a light fighting worries

I have bought two new light fittings. I am happy doing the electrical side as it is very simple and obvious what to do. The bit I am unsure about is fixing the screws into the ceiling. The ceiling is plaster and lathe and of course the new fittings are a different size to the old so I need to make new holes. What do I do/use to get the screws to 'bite' into the ceiling?
Thanks

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    The fitting shouldn't really be attached to the ceiling, be it lath & plaster or plasterboard; it should be screwed to a joist, or in the absence of a convenient one, to a piece of wood of appropriate size fixed between the joists.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Your current light fitting should already be screwed to a joist, so you know you'll be good with at least one screw.
    You can poke around to find the edges of it, or by the remotest chance, have you got a indicator type tool that can pinpoint the edges of it for you?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Why? In any old house the joists never line up and are usually 24" apart so I always screw into the laths - perhaps using a couple of screws.As long as the thing isn't too heavy you'll be fine.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    JuzaMum wrote: »
    The ceiling is plaster and lathe and of course the new fittings are a different size to the old so I need to make new holes. What do I do/use to get the screws to 'bite' into the ceiling?
    I hope it is a very strong ceiling holding up that lathe!

One good tip is to use a bit of wood. If you have a reasonable size hole in the ceiling already, where the cables come through for the existing light fitting, push a small piece of wood through it and let it lie flat on the plasterboard. You can then, whilst holding it down, drill a small hole through existing plasterboard and the piece of wood to take your screws. Take care not to drill into the existing cables or your hand.
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks all
    The light fitting is smallish so not too heavy.
    The hole where the wires come out is small.
    I will go for fixing it either side of the existing fixing (new fixing is bigger) hoping that's where a joist is and if not keep my fingers crossed it will hold in the lath.
    (I will be very careful in case that lathe falls down!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure