I had my own Income Protection. Can I reclaim this from my loan companies?

Options
I recently found out that Lloyds had put PPI onto all 5 of my loans without my knowledge. The final 2 loans were so large that I specifically told them not to put PPI on them and I took out my own 3rd party income protection to cover me. Could I claim this back from Lloyds as well as the PPI?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,376 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    specifically told them not to put PPI on them and I took out my own 3rd party income protection to cover me. Could I claim this back from Lloyds as well as the PPI?

no you cannot. Lloyds are only responsible for products and services they put in place. Not those of third parties.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Bermonia
    Bermonia Posts: 977 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Of course you can’t!

For what reason would Lloyds be responsible for a product you took out at your own volition from a third party?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Painey wrote: »
    I recently found out that Lloyds had put PPI onto all 5 of my loans without my knowledge. The final 2 loans were so large that I specifically told them not to put PPI on them and I took out my own 3rd party income protection to cover me. Could I claim this back from Lloyds as well as the PPI?
    So you had PPI "without your knowledge" on three loans (even though it would have been clearly itemised in all the Agreements you signed), then failed to notice that PPI (which you didn't want) was also on the final two loans but then took out separate insurance anyway ???:eek:

I'm not even seeing the first three PPI policies were mis-sold, let alone the final two. On what basis do you think you would you be able to complain to Lloyds about policies that were not purchased from them?

Note also that Insurance is not somehow going to be refunded to you simply because you didn't suffer a claimable event...

You may well receive a refund of the PPI you purchased from Lloyds, but you have precisely zero chance of also having your Income Protection refunded by Lloyds.

If you also have a valid complaint about the Income Protection you chose to purchase, you need to complain to the seller- not Lloyds I'm afraid.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm afraid it's a common myth spread by claims firms that PPI could somehow be added to your loan without your knowledge, finance doesn't work like that. When you sign the paperwork you agree to take it out. You did know about it, you've either forgotten or didn't read the paperwork in full.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure