£548 bill reasonable for all electric?

Hi
I’ve just received a three and half month bill for the above amount.
I have an all electric property and heating is Electric Warm Air via a central storage heater on E10.
Hot water is immersion that I run for 30mins-1hr a day.
Works out about £145 a month. Just wondering if this is about right for winter usage.

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I would say it is not unreasonable. Is it based on actual opening and closing reads ? What is the peak and off peak kWh use ? Do you read your meters at least monthly and submit them ?
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Just check that the readings are actual and not estimated.

Not unreasonable but early days for winter. Keep on top of those meter readings
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    molerat wrote: »
    I would say it is not unreasonable. Is it based on actual opening and closing reads ? What is the peak and off peak kWh use ? Do you read your meters at least monthly and submit them ?

Thanks for the reply.
    Someone visited recently for the meter readings but I do submit them regularly anyway.
    kWh usage:
    Day 528
    Night 3311
    Obviously most usage is from the storage heater charging. I have the input set so the unit stays warm until late evening.
    The E10 hours are unusually 5.10am - 3.10pm but this is beneficial as I have use of lower rate
    during the day.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As others have said, what's reasonable or unreasonable for you will be different for others.

We dont know what your lifestyle is, how well insulated your house is, are you there all day, what temperature do you keep the place. Where do you live etc, all factors that can make a big difference to your energy bill

Unless you monitor your meter readings and submit them once a month you really have no idea when or what is using all your energy or what you can do to minimise your consumption.

Likewise there must be dozens of E10 tariffs out there, some which may be reasonable and many others which aren't. I could easily pay several hundreds a year more than at present by going to a more expensive supplier.

If you pay quarterly then it's likely that your bill for January through to March is going to be significantly higher as the weather is likely to be a lot colder whereas those for April - June & July-September should be much lower.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    You haven't given the most important factor - the size of your property!!

£548 is high for 1 person in a small bedsit, low for hordes living in a large mansion!!
  • danrv
    matelodave wrote: »
    We dont know what your lifestyle is, how well insulated your house is, are you there all day, what temperature do you keep the place. Where do you live etc, all factors that can make a big difference to your energy bill

Yes, good point. House is well insulated (loft, wall, double glazing). I’m there a fair bit during the day. I tend to keep the temp around 22c and lower it to 19c at night.
    Location Cambridgeshire
    Not sure how much power the storage heater fan uses but this would be coming on occasionally
    during the night unless I turn the thermostat down.
  • danrv
    Cardew wrote: »
    You haven't given the most important factor - the size of your property!!

Yes, sorry. Should have said.
    Three bed 70s semi detached.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,098 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Sounds reasonable to me - 19 at night I would feel too hot
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • danrv
    Robin9 wrote: »
    Sounds reasonable to me - 19 at night I would feel too hot

Yes. Have just checked the storage heater instructions and it recommends that the fan be switched off at night.
    I have been keeping it on as there’s no timer on the heating system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure