Help with Hoist

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ignore Debt collectors irrelevant deadlines, they are totally meaningless.

Fatbelly has very kindly provided the link to a CCA template letter above, the creditor must comply or risk the debt becoming unenforceable.

It is one of your statutory rights to receive this information.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • juliecara
    juliecara Posts: 12 Forumite
    Thank you all for your replies and advice. I am grateful for it. I honestly thought I had put those horrible nauseous days and nights behind me!

I have downloaded the CCA letter template and will send it over the weekend.

juliecara
  • Just_Di
    Just_Di Posts: 385 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2019 at 1:35AM
    juliecara wrote: »
    I requested a list of my creditors and the amounts outstanding from Money Save Solutions, and also asked them to check the Experian report I had sent last year in case there was debt against my name that I was not aware of. They promptly sent back the information and confirmed that the report had not highlighted any other debt.

I have recently received a letter from a company called Hoist Finance Uk Holdings 2 Ltd informing me that 'Hoist Portfolio Holding Limited has assigned all of its respective rights, interest, benefit and entitlement in respect of the above referenced account (including the outstanding balance) to Hoist Finance Uk Holdings 2 Ltd.

The information at the top of the letter says that the original creditor is MBNA and the outstanding balance is £11097.16. The original creditor account number is different to the one I have been paying via the DMP.

On 31st of August this year I paid the outstanding balance on the MBNA account to PRA Group (uk), which is the company that had been receiving the money being paid to clear the MBNA debt.

I'm aware of Hoist recently carrying out an in-house/internal assignment of some debts - perhaps for tax purposes and/or an attempt to deal with their lack of FCA authorisation issues :)

So first things first.

If this debt is/was not showing on your Experian file that doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it only means that it may have been defaulted six or more years ago so the account will no longer be visible on your CRA file whether the balance has been cleared or not.

In my experience PRA don't assign/sell debts to a third party so it's possible that this is not the debt you settled with them (PRA).

You may not recognise the debt as a MBNA (now Lloyds) account but at one point MBNA underwrote 200 branded credit cards such as the AA and various football clubs etc.

Could this have been a Virgin credit card?

Di
  • Just_Di
    fatbelly wrote: »
    If those dmp payments were not being passed on I wonder if there has been a six-year gap with no payments or other acknowledgement - if so the account would now be statute barred.

Which is a good point since the OP says they were in a DMP for the last 8 or 9 years :)

Di
  • Good morning Di,

Thanks for your reply. In answer to your question I have never had a Virgin card.

Out of curiosity, what does statute barred mean please? I have seen it both on my thread and some others, but not sure what it is or if it applies to my case?

Many thanks,

Julie
  • what does statute barred mean please

If for whatever reason you have not been paying this debt and is past the 6 year mark (this is since last payment made on account), which sounds like it is, then you can tell them it is statute barred and not have to pay a penny.

If truly overlooked and not paid via DMP then this debt is statute barred and don’t have to worry about it.
  • Many thanks for the reply.

As I said in my very first post I had been paying MBNA monthly with the DMA, but the reference number is different so I not sure what is going on at the moment. No doubt me and my confusion will be back on here when I get a reply :(

Thanks again :)
  • Just_Di
    juliecara wrote: »
    I had been paying MBNA monthly with the DMA, but the reference number is different

In my experience MBNA change the reference number before the account is assigned to a debt purchaser.

Di
  • Thank you Di.

How will this play out now in regard to me having paid them for all those years and then paid a the outstanding amount as given to me by my DMA company???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure