Mastercard Securecode changes

Just recently when using my Mastercard online to make purchases, there has been the Mastercard Securecode splash screen popping up saying that 'shortly they will be sending out texts as part of the Securecode verification'. Or words to that effect.

I am guessing that this is an extra layer of security and that you have to enter into the screen a number that they text to you for that transaction to enable it to go through.

Has anyone else noticed this ? Or know anything about it ? I can't find out any more information.

What about those of us who live outside mobile coverage ? Or don't have a mobile phone ?

Comments

• boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    A text can still be sent to a landline - it will be read out to you
  • That is true. But it is a right pain if the landline phone isn't in the same room as the computer !

I'm hoping that it is optional.
  • pochisoldi
    pochisoldi Posts: 261 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I get the impression that Mastercard Securecode is handled in different ways according to who your card is with.

With one of my cards, all I get is a message saying OK that's gone through - no password, no enter characters x,y, and z from your password, no SMS, no nothin'

PochiSoldi
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is this new or does it come from a few years ago? As far as I know and I am a bit sketchy on this, both MasterCard and VISA proposed a system to replace the password with a code sent by SMS message which would then be typed in by the cardholder. I don't know what happened to that but most of us using MasterCard Securecode and Verified By VISA will know that we still use the password. Maybe it just didn't come to fruition and they are giving it another try.
  • If they have your phone and card they almost certainly know your password too. I think this is a good thing and Visa are doing the same.
  • deinoflex
    deinoflex Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I didn't get the warning message the OP mentions, but on Monday 11/6 when I paid online with my Halifax Clarity card (mastercard), it came up with a box on the browser window to enter a PIN. They sent the PIN to my mobile with a message about the transaction/time/amount/payee. I entered it & it went through. It was for £375-odd.
  • londonman42
    londonman42 Posts: 80 Forumite
    If they have your phone and card they almost certainly know your password too. I think this is a good thing and Visa are doing the same.

Yes, potentially. But it should be optional. Not everyone who uses e-commerce has a mobile phone. Neither do some people, myself included, who live in a "not-spot" when it comes to mobile coverage.
  • londonman42
    pochisoldi wrote: »
    There - that fixed it :)

They don't even need to have your phone. A bit of social engineering and the gullible customer service agents at the mobile company will divert texts to your mobile to those of the scammer. Same goes for landlines.
  • londonman42
    deinoflex wrote: »
    I didn't get the warning message the OP mentions, but on Monday 11/6 when I paid online with my Halifax Clarity card (mastercard), it came up with a box on the browser window to enter a PIN. They sent the PIN to my mobile with a message about the transaction/time/amount/payee. I entered it & it went through. It was for £375-odd.

What would you have done if you were out of mobile coverage ? Or your mobile was elsewhere ? Or battery dead ....
  • bubieyehyeh
    bubieyehyeh Posts: 587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This would be better done, using the standard used by google authenticator. HMRC even uses it for their website.

It doesn't require a mobile signal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport