Travelling On

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    The last washing machine I got was a second hand miele & boy have I had my money's worth from it.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 27 April 2018 at 4:45PM
    beanielou wrote: »
    The last washing machine I got was a second hand miele & boy have I had my money's worth from it.

Mine's a Miele too. Love it to bits:j

I looked everywhere for a second hand one to no avail but there was a brilliant cashback offer on new ones at that time from the company and various other savings via the cashback sites so I went for a new one. Delivered next day too, free of charge, and OH and I set it up ourselves. It's just cold-fill so we had to blank off the hole in the hot water pipe made to fill the old machine. I read up about it online and bought a capping thingy from the plumbers merchants. Easy as pie and we saved on a plumber which OH thought we might need. The internet is a wonderful resource isn't it? We can find out how to do just about anything just by a simple search:j
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What a bummer! You could try the White goods forum - I used them for mine. Sometimes it is OK to do yourself, although electrical shorting is never good. They do have lots of helpful experts who could advise if a competent (neighbour or friend) person could sort it or will say if it is one for the experts. http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/forumsphpbb3/
    Thanks for that linkie, SL, that looks like a valuable resource.
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    How annoying about the washing machine. Things don't seem to last like they did. Our lawn mower is playing up and we've only had it a couple of years. If it keeps on, I'll have to google to see if I can find someone to have a look at it

I noticed you had been to the Liners exhibition. we are going in two weeks time, so I was interested to read what you thought about it. It sounds very interesting and right up my street
    I'm glad you're going to that, Goldie, it's very beautiful. I had no idea how high-end they *all* were, and it was interesting to find out about government policies of various countries affecting how the ships were designed and what they offered.
    Mine's a Miele too. Love it to bits:j

I looked everywhere for a second hand one to no avail but there was a brilliant cashback offer on new ones at that time from the company and various other savings via the cashback sites so I went for a new one. Delivered next day too, free of charge, and OH and I set it up ourselves. It's just cold-fill so we had to blank off the hole in the hot water pipe made to fill the old machine. I read up about it online and bought a capping thingy from the plumbers merchants. Easy as pie and we saved on a plumber which OH thought we might need. The internet is a wonderful resource isn't it? We can find out how to do just about anything just by a simple search:j
    Finding that sort of focus is beyond me at the moment - I wish it wasn't, but there's no good in pretending I'll do that. I love finding out about that sort of stuff, but doing it .... between the energy, the concentration, and the arthritic fingers (already suffering cos of the navvying in the garden) I'm going to pass :o
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    beanielou wrote: »

Last time this happened, I'd practically run out of clothes, so I was desperate to get *something* :rotfl: but now I've got a bit more time, I'll be checking out second hand stuff, thanks for that.

I've been doing my electricals today. Started with printing the emails, then I went on to backing up the computer, putting some of the updated files on the old computer (and others on a flash drive, which I haven't actually done yet :o) deleting old photos on the camera then charging the camera ready for next week, charging the phone, uploading scanned photos to google drive, I was both shattered and bored out of my skull :rotfl:

Three more sleeps :j
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,694 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ooh, exciting! :j

Pah to stupid washing machine breaking :( Most vexing. Although I have to say sometimes I'm jealous of my sister's shiny new one - mine is about 20 years old and takes nearly 2 hours to do a normal 30 degree wash cycle :eek: Hers takes about half an hour, and has a cycle for 'special shoes' :rotfl: :rotfl: My friend has one that plays a little tune when it finishes! :rotfl: So much wizardry about these days :D

(note to my washing machine - this is NOT a plea for you to break so I can get a new one! :eek: )

Urgh to photo sorting too. I need to do some of that myself... not scanning, just sorting folders on the computer. As you say, tiring and tedious but feels SO good when it's done!

Have a good Saturday! :)
  • Karmacat
    Thanks Cheery! The washing machine thing is mad, isn't it - when I bought my first one, back in the mid80s, people were already saying that they weren't built to last, but nowadays things from that era are looked on as a very good standard. I've tried not to think about it :o but obviously that doesn't work very well for washing machines :rotfl:

No plans this weekend apart from being ready to go away for a few days on Monday, 10am sharp :D and avoiding the rain. We're definitely going to an Iron Age site close to where we're going, and my weather app says there's going to be snow :eek:
  • Ooh, exciting! :j

Pah to stupid washing machine breaking :( Most vexing. Although I have to say sometimes I'm jealous of my sister's shiny new one - mine is about 20 years old and takes nearly 2 hours to do a normal 30 degree wash cycle :eek: Hers takes about half an hour, and has a cycle for 'special shoes' :rotfl: :rotfl: My friend has one that plays a little tune when it finishes! :rotfl: So much wizardry about these days :D

My washing machine doesn't play any tunes but my tumble dryer, a different brand, does. It's really loud and goes on long enough to alert me so I can get from any other room in the house to the kitchen and take the clothes out before they crease up. I hate ironing and aim to do as little of it as I can get away with:o. I planned to buy a washing machine of the same brand but because of the difficult layout of the kitchen I had to get one with a door that opened to the right (hinges on the right). None of the usual suspects did that, they all open the other way:(. I'd read brilliant reviews of Miele and theirs did open the way I needed:j so that's why I went for one of theirs. More than I really wanted to pay but I got one of the cheaper models. Some of their others are eye-wateringly expensive. The company was even doing £75 cashback too, plus I got more cashback via Quidco so I didn't feel too bad about squandering money earmarked for my debts.

Washing is a pleasure now not a chore:j. It's only after using this one that I realise how long-winded and tedious it was using the previous one for all those years. It had served me well though so I shouldn't grumble. Technology marches swiftly on, that's all.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Oooh 3 sleeps :j :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    I confess I don't have a drier - things will go outside for most of the year, there's only me, and there's now enough space to put the clothes maiden up, hurray.

And, um, I can remember when washing machines weren't a given, and if you had them, they were either a twin tub, or a sort of electrified mangle ... my mum had the latter. It looked like it didn't belong - a weird mix of Art Deco and futurism, square and boxy with individual areas all curved and beautiful. Odd, but wonderful.

I have an announcement to make: a set of kind friends have fixed my washing machine! There's a slight faff of needing to call out my plumber, who came out within 15 minutes when my condensation pipe froze, bless 'im, for a replacement hose, but at least thats a very plumber-y thing, rather than an awful electronic bodge ...

Got to go to bed, my eyes are closing on me. Hope everyone's had a lovely Saturday :):):)
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    I have an announcement to make: a set of kind friends have fixed my washing machine! There's a slight faff of needing to call out my plumber, who came out within 15 minutes when my condensation pipe froze, bless 'im, for a replacement hose, but at least thats a very plumber-y thing, rather than an awful electronic bodge ...

Got to go to bed, my eyes are closing on me. Hope everyone's had a lovely Saturday :):):)

How wonderful to have such kind and handy friends:T:j:beer:. I'm really happy for you that your laundry problems are now solved and without having to fork out an exorbitant amount of money. Great too to have a plumber who answered your previous call in superfast time. He sounds like a real treasure:j

I'm sure you enjoyed your well-earned sleep after crossing off a potential major problem from your must-do list:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback