Probation period

Hi all

I started a new job on December 28th last year on a 6 month probationary period. In May I started a new job role within the company which reset the 6 month clock. 7 Months later I am still on the probation period as I may not be good enough to be taken on 'full time', so it keeps getting extended. Now, obviously I have been there 12 months in 3 weeks. Where do I stand (if anywhere) with this, in regards to rights?

Many thanks in advance
[STRIKE]2[/STRIKE] 1 CCJs clear [STRIKE]November 2012[/STRIKE] / April 2014 :A

DMP with StepChange as of 22/10/2013 owing £10984
Debt free by 2020 hopefully :j

Comments

• Hi all

I started a new job on December 28th last year on a 6 month probationary period. In May I started a new job role within the company which reset the 6 month clock. 7 Months later I am still on the probation period as I may not be good enough to be taken on 'full time', so it keeps getting extended. Now, obviously I have been there 12 months in 3 weeks. Where do I stand (if anywhere) with this, in regards to rights?

Many thanks in advance

Why might you not be 'good enough'?

Is there some extra training you could undertake? If so, is this somethimg the employer is willing to help you with, perhaps by funding such training or allowing time off whilst you take this required additional training?

Or are are you just not suited to this job or employer? In which case, probably best to take this opportunity to seek a new job elsewhere. It is often claimed, it's easier to get a job when you already have one.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 December 2012 at 1:45PM
    Hi all

Many thanks in advance

Hello Sergeant cookie

Because your employment with the company started before April 2012, the old 1 year rule applies to you. Once you have completed 12 months service less one week, you have full protection against unfair dismissal (the one week is the statutory notice period). The fact that you have been on a series of probationary periods does not change this.

Please note, I am not an official CAB Representative. The CAB Reps do not post at weekends, and aim to reply within two working days during the week.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Hi all

Many thanks in advance

Hi

Your rights are effectively the same as everyone else who has been continuously employed just over a year, including being taken on before the rules on unfair dismissal changed to a qualifying period of 2 years. Being on a serious of probation periods doesn't really effect this. see below for a summary of your basic rights:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/work_e/work_rights_at_work_e/basic_rights_at_work.htm
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure