Beware - Goldcar Car Rentals Spain

Comments

• deary65
    deary65 Posts: 818 Forumite
    They should be called concar!
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.
  • I regularly hire cars in Portugal without any issues but Gold car left a really bitter taste and will not be using them again...

reading the small print, they are covered but the scale and implementation of the additional charges are not evident until you are collecting the car. Rip off fuel policy, late collection charge despite the fact we collected within the window we specified during booking and the additional insurance taken out was undermined by the desk operator who insisted on €1200 deposit for car should we have an incident / accidental damage. We would then have to recover cost ourselves from the insurance. At 11.30 at night, they have you over a barrel.

Really sharp practice....
  • We booked via Holiday Autos and had to take out extra insurance to avoid Goldcar taking 1,400 off our credit card. We also had to pay over 100 euros for a full tank of petrol, we used half of it so the scam has worked well for them there. When I told them at collection that I wanted to fill the car up myself they pointed to the small print.

The car had a flat battery on the first night and none of the emergency numbers worked from my UK mobile. Managed to get the battery jump started and it was flat again within two days.

I will always pay a little extra to go with a reputable firm in future and I will avoid Goldcar and Holiday Autos at all cost.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    CAMILO wrote: »
    Hello, I'm very surprised by the evaluation of Goldcar in the previous threads. It seems that in Alicante the Goldcar agency is bizarre. Well, last november I flew to Granada, directly Granada Airport, before I leave (I'm from Nice Côte d'Azur), I reserved a car to pick at the airport. At my arrival, I went to Goldcar, The reservation was ok, no queue all very quite and cool. Of course like any other agency (including air companies) they ask if you wish an extra insurance. Well, I was in city that I've never visited, I don't know how are the people, their serious, their mentality, I thought better I cover myself to any problem happening to the car etc... As the day rental is very cheap (compared to Nice 34€/day, and for a micro scratch on the paint of the wing, they charge you a complete restoration of it). I stayed 11 days, the total cost I paid was 155€, means about 14€/day. As in the conditions I had to return back the car with the tank nearly empty. So I saved 50€ cost of the full. If I deduce 50€ from 155€, it makes 105€ means 9.95€. I delivered the car in good conditions without any problem during 11 days (new car with 3000kms on the counter). At the desk, I gave back the papers and the keys to the man, he gave me my invoice of 155€, I paid with my Visa and that's all. At a moment when all was ended, I was expecting the man to go together at the parking checking the conditions of the car. As he saw me expecting something, he asked me if there is sometheing else he can do for me, I told him that I 'm just waiting for him to check the car, he told, there is no need as I told him the car is mint and on the invoice I'm clear . Me very surprised, I told him Hasta Luego. This my experience with Goldcar Granada Airport. When I was back home, I related this incredible good experience I have had with the car rental to a friend living in Newcastle, as he uses to visit Spain sometimes, and overall, in comparison to all the bad dreams I have had with the french car rental companies
    Perhaps Goldcar have a better deal for their employees as opposed to other poor suckers.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    CAMILO wrote: »
    Hello, I'm very surprised<snip>

Another load....

There is absolutely no way that your total price for the rental, insurance and tank of petrol cost you 105€ from a total of 155€.
    Their Super Relax cover alone for eleven days costs 154.70€
    In your blurb, you claim to have accepted their insurance.

I picked their very cheapest car, a Fiat 500. Basic rental was 90.90€, the insurance that you claimed to accept; 154.70€ and the tank of fuel is 82€

That looks like 327€ for eleven days in a Fiat CinqueCento.

You sir...are a liar.
  • dseers335 wrote: »
    I checked with Carjet and Solmar do indeed do Full/Full so this should save me some on the fuel charge.
    I just didn't appreciate the way Goldcar went about their business. I can take the losses but I was not happy that I was lied to and it made me wonder what else they were capable of...

Drivalia do full to full or full to empty. So you get to choose. The full to full is more expensive . But then there rates are pretty good. And there service exceptional.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    allen2502 wrote: »
    Drivalia do full to full or full to empty. So you get to choose. The full to full is more expensive . But then there rates are pretty good. And there service exceptional.

They certainly sound like an excellent company compared to Goldcar just a shame they're only based at Alicante and Majorca airports. Perhaps we'll have to start taking our holidays where we can get reasonably priced and trustworthy car rental :)
  • If only I'd seen the thread before booking...but here's my tale. Trouble is I booked with Holiday Autos, and you don't know which company you will get until after you've gone through the booking process.

This rental has to be the single worst car hire booking I have ever had, and I book about 5 or 6 a year, sometimes more, and very often I use Holiday Autos. Firstly I would urge anybody NOT to use Goldcar in Spain. At Lanzarote Airport when I collected the car, there were about 8 or 9 other companies, none of which had long queues. I waited 90 minutes exactly at Goldcar, in which time they served about 8 or 9 customers. Every one was unhappy and complaining, which is why their service is so slow. By the end, no other counter had anybody waiting, but our queue had got even longer. The main complaint was that they tried to charge 10 euros a day XS insurance, which thankfully I declined (I had a separate policy). The other complaint was that they charged everybody a full tank of fuel upfront, which is totally pointless on a small island like Lanzarote. You simply cannot use a tank of fuel unless you spent the whole time driving ! They told me any unused fuel would be refunded, but of course it wasn't.

I was also charged a 35 euro (+tax) upgrade fee....for what ? I got the correct car which I had booked (so I thought), and they did not offer an upgrade, nor tell me I was being charged for one. After 90 minutes of fuming in a queue, I did not spot that fee on the document, I just needed to get away from their desk ASAP. Also regarding their fuel-upfront charge: it says so in the small print on the booking, but you cannot get to that print (nor indeed find out Holiday Autos is using Goldcar) until after you have completed the booking on HolidayAutos.com. So I had no choice but to pay the upfront fuel of 71.37e + tax.I expected to get it back on to my card, as promised at the desk, but what they did not tell me was another item buried in small print which Holiday Autos' website does not tell you....they will deduct an admin fee.

So, in summary, I was charged 121.00euros (£99.58) for two items:
    1. a 71.37euros + tax tank of fuel I did not want and did not use and was not advised about on Holiday Autos' booking screen
    2. a 35.24euros + tax upgrade fee for reasons unknown and not explained (I had a VW Polo as booked and paid for in advance)

I was refunded only £46.13. I therefore requested a refund the balance of £53.45....which a month later I haven't received. I will never use Goldcar again and will tell all people I know who book cars in Spain not to do so either. I really urge all 3rd party booking sites to avoid Goldcar at all costs - it is simply ripping people off and leaving them all angry at the start of their holidays. Luckily for me this was the end of our holiday - I used a different company at the start of the holiday and there were no issues whatsoever.
  • Sorry to say situation has not changed. Rented a car in September 2014 from Goldcar/Jigsaw at Alicante. They seemed cheap until I got to the airport and was asked for 71 euros for fuel and another 53 euros for insurance, otherwise there was a 600 euro charge as a deposit!! I understood if I returned the car full of fuel I would not get charged 18 euro admin fee. This I did. When I got home GC had refunded my card with 53 euro. The difference is because I returned the car 'out of hours' something that is stated in small print in Spanish.....I will never use Gold Car again!:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback