NHS worker since 1999? Are you due £1,000s of tax back

167891012»

Comments

• Hi,

I was employed by a third party provider i.e. an organisation that was contracted to do NHS work. My training was funded by health education england and I paid tax and NI. The people on my course who were employed directly by the NHS to do exactly the same course and job as me get a refund but I have told I cannot because I was not an NHS employee. Is this correct? It seems like an odd rule?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    justinn007 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was employed by a third party provider i.e. an organisation that was contracted to do NHS work. My training was funded by health education england and I paid tax and NI. The people on my course who were employed directly by the NHS to do exactly the same course and job as me get a refund but I have told I cannot because I was not an NHS employee. Is this correct? It seems like an odd rule?
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71760785&postcount=42
  • Hi,
    I was employed by NHS Trust and attended High Intensity Training in 2009-2010. I applied for a WATS refund but was refused by Trust on the basis that receipt of standard Agenda for Change salary for the duration of my training course rules out me from the criteria for WATS. Some of my colleagues taking the same training were refunded (they applied earlier than me). Is there any chance to challenge the Trust decision? They said they are following HMRC guidance and have no discretion over this matter.
  • Do you mean not only does she not have £120k cash but she doesn't actually own the house outright yet?
  • Hi my trust has passed on my claim to HMRC- does anyone have experience of how long HMRC usually take to process it and receive the refund?
    I have called HMRC but they refused to comment on how long it might take.
  • Hi My husband was very successful in receiving two separate rebates for 2 different training courses. I was in receipt of working tak credits for both periods ant to date I have also received a rebate as our income was reduced. I have enquired the second rebate for the most recent claim, but HNRC have written back saying that they are not processing this at present for legal reasons ?
  • Dicegirly
    Dicegirly Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Charly0 wrote: »
    I have applied for the WAT scheme as people I know from other hospitals have received the refund for the same job role that I am currently doing, twice my claim has been put on hold as they look into things, on the second time I was told my claim would be processed and I would receive my refund in August’s pay. I received a letter last week saying I have been rejected the claim as nhs employers have now found the loop hole to stop people getting the claim, in that you pay into a pension, you gain a salary that can get increments each year, what they don’t state is that it is on 70% of a salary going up to 75% in the second year and heybhave now added that going to college once a week is not classed under the scheme even though I am supernumerary and not classed as an official member of staff and I am training on the job for the whole 2 years completing my btec and nvq. The most frustrating thing about it all is that they have given it to some people and are now starting to refuse others for exactly the same job and circumstances. If anyone can help me to fight this with some information I would be much appreciated.

Hi Charley0, it looks like you were a Student Pharmacy Tech, as was I.
    Did you get anywhere with your claim in the end? I have only just found out about this refund scheme in the last few days from someone on a Pharmacy Facebook page who has just successfully claimed for being a student tech.
  • i am currently a trainee nursing associate and the UK Gov website states we are entitled to the refund my trust have said no we are not we classed as apprentices and paid on a band 3. has anyone any advice on how to challenge this? HMRC (or the NI side of the organisation) have said yes we are entitled to it however my trust are digging their heels in. I'm going to speak to payroll tomorrow and challenge it as i know people who have done the Assistant practitioner training and didn't pay tax through out their training however i and my colleagues are paying both Tax and NI.

any help appreciated
  • Douglas88
    Douglas88 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 14 August 2019 at 7:51PM
    Hello people in thread

I was studying full-time towards an MSc in Psychological Therapy in Primary Care which involved a placement and a wage. I am in the process of claiming for the tax/NI paid and would like some guidance. My former healthboard is not getting involved so HMRC have requested a supporting letter. This is where I need help!

Ideally, i'm looking for a template letter from either Unite or Unison and/or a letter involved in a successful claim. Someone please help me! PM / or just reply below.

Douglas Forsyth
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport