Legal sanctions for arrears

Options
2»

Comments

• jjj1980
    jjj1980 Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Things have moved on a bit so wanted to go give an update. I spoke to CMS last week and was told:

The bailiffs contacted the NRP and informed him they had returned the case to CMS and that the next steps would be CMS taking him back to court. CMS had also written to NRP as they were unable to get him to answer the phone warning that he needed to contact them urgently.

NRP did call them and CMS told him they have managed to find a bank account that is definitely his but which he has opened with a slight variation to his name and at his mother’s address. NRP confirmed that the account found is his and admitted to opening it to use for his taxi driving earnings and try to avoid them being found by CMS.

Based on the figures going through the account, CMS agreed an arrangement with him of £150 immediately and then £300 every month starting on 28th November on the basis that a Direct Debit was to be set up. He has failed on too many occasions to make card and Standing Order payments so Direct Debit is the only basis they would accept for the arrangement.

Of the £300, £50 is to cover the Collect & Pay fee, £85.38 is for the ongoing support payments to stop any further arrears building and the remaining £164.62 is to be split between the two Liability Orders and the more recent arrears. My case handler did say though that she is “cautious” over whether the payments will actually be made as previous records show he has agreed such things in the past then cancelled Direct Debits just before the payment date. To ensure any payments that payment that do come through are definitely cleared before they are sent out to me!there is going to be around a 10 day wait after each payment date before they issue the money to me.

I asked them what would happen if he made a couple of payments then stopped. The case handler said they would contact him and ask for an immediate payment to bring the case up to date and only if that immediate payment was made in the same phonecall, would they continue with the arrangement. Otherwise they have already advised him that if he breaks the arrangement, they will be applying to the court for either removal of his driving licence or comimital to prison. From what I’ve heard from others that know him, his mother has found out that he hasn’t been paying despite having convinced her in the past that he had and that the bailiffs were chasing extra money that I was demanding! She has made him change the bank account from her address and confronted him over the many things he has told her over the past years and found out with proof that he has been lying to her and his wider family the whole time. Friends have also stopped talking to him as they have found out about his behaviour.
  • jjj1980
    Options
    So the first Direct Debit payment of £300 pm arrangement was claimed on 28th November, which was Wednesday last week. After a call with CMS this morning I have found out:

- CMS received notification from the NRP’s bank on 29th November that it had been returned unpaid due to insufficient funds.

- the Case Handler called the NRP and he first denied all knowledge of ever making an arrangement but when she told him the call had been recorded, he admitted that he had avoided paying anything into the account.

- the Case Handler managed to get a payment of £200 over the telephone but it was paid on someone else’s card. He was then supposed to call them by 6pm on Friday 30th to pay the other £100.

- he didn’t call so CMS tried to call him Friday evening and throughout Saturday but he didn’t answer.

- Case Handler has been trying to contact him over the course of today without any luck. She is going to try again tomorrow.

- if he hasn’t paid the £100 by end of tomorrow, the Case Handler is going to submit paperwork to court for a legal sanctions hearing.

-if he does pay, she is going to keep monitoring the case for the next few months with a strict wanting to him that there must be no further unpaid Direct Debit payments. Any full cancellation of the Direct Debit by him or any further unpaid payments will lead straight to submission of papers to court for a legal sanctions hearing.

The Case Handler said she is unwilling to pass the case back for normal monitoring by the Enforcement Team as she is very concerned that he has broken this arrangement at the first stage. She is very confident that she has enough proof now to support that the non-payment is wilful and not through an inability to pay.

Not really sure how to feel. I had stupidly let my hopes build that he had finally understood the serious consequences of not keeping to the arrangement but that’s obviously not the case.
  • Jack_Johnson_the_acorn
    Options
    jjj1980 wrote: »
    So the first Direct Debit payment of £300 pm arrangement was claimed on 28th November, which was Wednesday last week. After a call with CMS this morning I have found out:

- CMS received notification from the NRP’s bank on 29th November that it had been returned unpaid due to insufficient funds.

- the Case Handler called the NRP and he first denied all knowledge of ever making an arrangement but when she told him the call had been recorded, he admitted that he had avoided paying anything into the account.

- the Case Handler managed to get a payment of £200 over the telephone but it was paid on someone else’s card. He was then supposed to call them by 6pm on Friday 30th to pay the other £100.

- he didn’t call so CMS tried to call him Friday evening and throughout Saturday but he didn’t answer.

- Case Handler has been trying to contact him over the course of today without any luck. She is going to try again tomorrow.

- if he hasn’t paid the £100 by end of tomorrow, the Case Handler is going to submit paperwork to court for a legal sanctions hearing.

-if he does pay, she is going to keep monitoring the case for the next few months with a strict wanting to him that there must be no further unpaid Direct Debit payments. Any full cancellation of the Direct Debit by him or any further unpaid payments will lead straight to submission of papers to court for a legal sanctions hearing.

The Case Handler said she is unwilling to pass the case back for normal monitoring by the Enforcement Team as she is very concerned that he has broken this arrangement at the first stage. She is very confident that she has enough proof now to support that the non-payment is wilful and not through an inability to pay.

Not really sure how to feel. I had stupidly let my hopes build that he had finally understood the serious consequences of not keeping to the arrangement but that’s obviously not the case.

Unfortunately there is a significant minority that choose prison over paying for their children. I hope he sees the light but it may be that this particular person never pays you regularly.

Even if he goes to prison he may still refuse to pay and the CMS may determine that the non paying parent no longer has the means to pay. The case may then get sent to a holding Queue. After some time the case can be revisited to see if the non paying parent has the means to pay at which point the whole cycle starts again.
  • jjj1980
    Options
    So I’ve waited to update so I could have more information available.

December’s Direct Debit claim failed due to lack of funds so the Case was passed to the Sanctions team earlier this month. I was advised it would be a number of weeks before I heard any update from Sanctions, which is fine. I did get an initial call from Sanctions to confirm they had accepted the case and would get back to me with an update as and when they had one.

However, the Financial Investigations Unit have also been looking into the case since the middle of last year I received a call from them today to advise that they have found information which contradicts the low earnings the NRP has declared through HMRC. They are issuing a letter to him to give him 14 working days to provide proof that the information he has given is correct. If he doesn’t respond, there will be a further warning letter giving him 10 working days to respond and if he is still uncooperative, there will be legal action taken against him for giving false information purposely to minimise the assessment. She said she cannot think of any valid reasoning for the discrepancy in the figures so is of the opinion that this is heading to court for what is basically a charge of fraud.

Not going to be a quick resolution by any means and I know there is still a chance he won’t pay but this is proving to him that he cannot avoid the consequences of not complying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure