Coventry Building Society reduce interest rates

Did anyone else get a letter from Coventry Building Society this week to say they are reducing the interest rate on Cash ISAs on the 3rd January. What a convenient time to tell everyone that the interest rate is reducing Coventry!! Only giving us a few weeks notice and over the Xmas period. If you try to move your money now, you'll find any transfer dragging out over Xmas. Nice one Coventry - really nice customer service. Are you hoping that everyone forgets about it over Xmas and doesn't bother moving the money?

Comments

• Heard nothing. I am afraid the Coventry is not what it once was.
  • sparkyspark
    sparkyspark Posts: 169
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 December 2018 at 6:56PM
    I think it depends on which ISA version people have, I have an Easy Access Isa at 1.25% and according to the existing Closed Isa Accounts page Easy Access versions 3 to 7 are reducing to 1.15% on the 3rd January, yet versions 1,2 and 8 are staying at 1.25%, don't know about the latest Easy Access Isa version 9 currently at 1.15%
    https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/consumer/savings-accounts/closed-accounts/cash-isa.html
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I think it depends on which ISA version people have, I have an Easy Access Isa at 1.25% and according to the existing Closed Isa Accounts page Easy Access versions 3 to 7 are reducing to 1.15% on the 3rd January, yet versions 1,2 and 8 are staying at 1.25%, don't know about the latest Easy Access Isa version 9 currently at 1.15%
    https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/consumer/savings-accounts/closed-accounts/cash-isa.html
    Thanks for the link. Mine is issue 1, and doesn't appear to be changing. Mind you, since they're flexible ISAs I transferred it all out to their (no longer available) Limited Access Saver for 1.55% some 5 months ago, so it's makes no difference to me anyway.
    Stompa
  • SandraX
    SandraX Posts: 840 Forumite
    I can only praise the Cov BS. They answer the phones quickly, helpful and polite and informative and their rates are competitive. If you are unhappy, move all of your funds out of the BS.
  • Mr.Saver
    Mr.Saver Posts: 521
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I've got a letter too, and I'll transfer out soon.
  • niceyl
    niceyl Posts: 13
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thank you for the replies. I just think it is pretty unfair timing, sending a letter like that with less than two weeks to Christmas and saying that the rate is changing on the 3rd of January! I didn't really want to be sending my ID off for identification purposes over Xmas to any new ISA provider - increased Xmas post and just needing ID for around Xmas time.

Anybody already with the Virgin Money ISA at 1.45%? I once used Virgin internet and I was not very impressed by their customer service. What is the customer service like at Virgin Money?
  • Mr.Saver
    Mr.Saver Posts: 521
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    niceyl wrote: »
    Thank you for the replies. I just think it is pretty unfair timing, sending a letter like that with less than two weeks to Christmas and saying that the rate is changing on the 3rd of January! I didn't really want to be sending my ID off for identification purposes over Xmas to any new ISA provider - increased Xmas post and just needing ID for around Xmas time.

Anybody already with the Virgin Money ISA at 1.45%? I once used Virgin internet and I was not very impressed by their customer service. What is the customer service like at Virgin Money?
    You don't have to finish the transfer before the rate drops. In fact, a few weeks different between 1.15% and 1.4% doesn't make much different.

Even you have 50k in the ISA, the different between 1.15% and 1.4% in a month is only about £10 interest.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am afraid the Coventry is not what it once was.

Indeed that are not. Earlier this year, the Coventry reduced some of their own rates only to put them back up to the same level again after the boe rise, presumably to trumpet how they are looking after their savers. This, despite them paying out the same even though boe is 0.25% higher.
    Thankfully being a mutual they don't need to pay dividends to shareholders so they can pass on the benefits of being a building society to their members(when I say members I mean borrowers of course).
  • Gambler
    Gambler Posts: 3,210
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    thor wrote: »
    Indeed that are not. Earlier this year, the Coventry reduced some of their own rates only to put them back up to the same level again after the boe rise, presumably to trumpet how they are looking after their savers. This, despite them paying out the same even though boe is 0.25% higher.
    Thankfully being a mutual they don't need to pay dividends to shareholders so they can pass on the benefits of being a building society to their members(when I say members I mean borrowers of course).

They've done that on two occasions now in the past 12 months or so.

Unfortunately there's not a lot of competition for flexible ISA's.
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I've just received a letter saying that my Easy Access ISA will be dropping from 1.25% to 1.15% on Feb 1st.

It looks as though this change will also affect the Easy Access ISA [2], the Branch Instant ISA and the Poppy ISA.

Stompa
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure