The Mortgage Free Roll Of Honour

Options

Comments

• A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Quick post before rushing out the door, will be back later with details.

However as of 21st December 2018 - I am now Mortgage Free :j:j:j:dance::dance::dance:
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Quick post before rushing out the door, will be back later with details.

However as of 21st December 2018 - I am now Mortgage Free :j:j:j:dance::dance::dance:

Congratulations, AFK! :beer:
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    [FONT=&quot]Today I received my letter from my mortgage lender stating "Your Mortgage has been closed"[/FONT]in nice bold type, so I am now officially MF :j Perfect end and perfect start to a New Year.
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]a. The date you decided to become a MFW[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]When I took out my mortgage, something at the back of my head was telling me I read/heard somewhere that you could overpay your mortgage, so set out to find out all about it. It was obviously Martin's voice while watching one of his programmes [/FONT]:T so thanks Martin.
    [FONT=&quot]b. Mortgage Debt at its highest[/FONT]
    £50k, Not a lot for some, but in relation to my salary - a lot, especially as they would not give me a 20 year mortgage due to my age :(
    [FONT=&quot]c. Mortgage-Free Date[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]21.12.18, regret now, not making that 22.12.18 as I bought on the 2.2.12 (get it) [/FONT]:)
    [FONT=&quot]d. Your one pearl of wisdom.[/FONT]
    1 - Anything saved on, or extra earned, then o/p it, then look at your balance and round it down, to a nice even 00 figure.
    [FONT=&quot]2 - On remortgaging, work out how much you will save on interest (if a better deal), and add it to what you can afford a month, for example - on remortgaging I was going to save £70/month plus I received a lovely (note the sarcasm) pay rise of £20 a month - so decided to add £10 to this, then asked if I paid £100 more a month, how many years should I remortgage for. (This also left space for my 10% allowance per year) They told me 8 or 9 yrs, so ever the optimist, I plumped for 8 yrs (from 14 & a half).[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]e. The MSE Mortgage guides and others that helped you [/FONT]
    The overpayment calculator was one of my many motivations, not for the amount of interest saved (although that did help at times), I was more interested in when I could finish my mortgage. Not forgetting Martin's Site :money:

A big "Thank You" to Bexster who was always there encouraging me along from day 1 :A
    also huge thanks to SJ, KK, LIL, AliOk, SueP, and So, So many more, so apologies if I missed anyone, and to my mum for helping with my side line, and achieving MF quicker than I ever thought possible.

Mortgage 2030 - 18 years,
    MF 21.12.18
    11 years 3 months early
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Firegirl
    Firegirl Posts: 926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow!!!! Sooooo exciting!!!!
    Mortgage balance Feb 2015 start of MFW Journey-£245316.06/Aim to be mortgage neutral 2022 — Target for May 2024 14 Year Target Balance MF50 = £89,535 — Mortgage Balance £106, 000—Target for May 2024! £89,535

Retirement Planning
    Starting Position : Pension 1-£165,000/Pension 2-£50,000/Pension 3-£9,500/ISA-£87,000/Total-£311,500
  • Youthgonewild
    Options
    Well done AFK.

I love the inspiration on these threads
    Mortgage balance October 2015: £99875 Mortgage balance June 2023: £69999.40
  • alan_p_brown
    Options
    a. The date you decided to become a MFW
    When I started my last mortgage 15 years ago.

b. Mortgage Debt at its highest
    £120,000

c. Mortgage-Free Date
    September 2018

d. Your one perl of wisdom.
    I didn't switch for 12 years, you don't throw away an offset mortgage tracking 0.25% above base rate!
    For the last few years my savings offset meant that I was paying no interest on my balance of <£5000, but they were paying me £5 a month reward for having a mortgage with them (far better than the potential interest on the cash).

e. The MSE Mortgage guides and others that helped you.
    That was 15 years ago when MSE helped me choose a low rate tracking offset.
  • Thanks to a nice little endowment policy and a bit of hard work. :rotfl:

I’ve been a bit of a naughty spender but always had my eye on this day when I could clear this.

a. The date you decided to become a MFW. 10 years ago when I bought my house
    b. Mortgage Debt at its highest £65.000
    c. Mortgage-Free Date 18th Jan 2019
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom. Don’t buy stuff you don’t need, put the money against your mortgage payments instead

Feels great :beer::j:j:j:j:j:j

Determined now to save, save save.
  • msathya2104
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • Helsbelsgem
    Options
    When I bought current house in 2007 I thought about it. At some point around then I read this forum and decided it would be such a relief to be mortgage free. If one loses a job or gets ill, there would only be the bills to cover.
    c. Mortgage-Free Date
    5/3/2019
    d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    Over the years my salary increased, but I stayed thrifty, keeping costs down and increasing income in other ways. I overpaid the mortgage, increasing the amount over time. But give yourself a break at Xmas when it’s an expensive month, and have a life!
    Keep costs down ideas - buy clothes in sales or on eBay, buy second hand cars, go on cheap holidays, only replace things when they break, check best prices on utilities once a year, pay off credit cards and debts in order of highest interest, really think about whether you need big purchases etc.
    Increase income ideas - eBay old stuff, do bits of extra work when possible, rent out room / campervan.
    e. This forum was inspirational
    f. Since 2007, overpaid by 58k+ and decreased term by 8+ years
  • Meka3256
    Meka3256 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 16 April 2019 at 1:57PM
    Options

£165k

c. Mortgage-Free Date
    September 2018

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    Buy in an up and coming area of the SE, and then once maximum equity exists, move in the North

Not sure how different my situation is to others as there are a lot of pages to read! I became mortgage free by moving from London to the North. I first bought a shared ownership flat in London in 2007. I was there 7 years, before buying a house in the then up and coming area of Hither Green. 4 years later I walked away with £160k and moved to a nice area in North Wales where this bought be a 3 bed semi. When I moved into the Hither Green house I expected to be there much longer, and was not planning to move out of London. However after spending 2015 abroad, I realised London did not have the same spark for me and decided to leave. It took me a while to figure out where to go, but once I did I sold as quickly as I could. It was great to say at 35 I no longer have to be worried about a mortgage
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback