Advice needed re contract/pay

shopworker19
shopworker19 Posts: 11 Forumite
edited 17 January 2019 at 4:13PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi
I am 18 and work as a p/t sales assistant in a major High St store, when I went to the interview I was offered 8p/h, this was the same wage as my previous role in retail. Around 2 months later I received an email asking me to sign an e-contract which stated I would be paid 7.40p/h. As this was not the same as the original offer I refused to sign the contract and spoke with my Manager. The contract was repeatedly sent to my email address and I never signed it until I received a new one stating the correct pay. My manager spoke to the HR manager and they drew up a letter apologising for the incorrect pay and stated I would be paid 8p/h until I reach 21 and any o/t would be at 7.40 which I agreed to, both myself and my manager signed this.
This is the only document that I have signed.
I was called into the office last week and told HR had had multiple conferences about my pay and it has now been decided that in the next 4 weeks they will be taking it down to 7.40ph. I think the reason there was a confusion at the start was everyone but me in the store is 21+ and they have realised I am 18 and should be on minimum wage.
I have just joined a union but cant seek advice until 4 weeks into membership.
Any advice on where I stand would be appreciated.

Comments

• KatrinaWaves
    KatrinaWaves Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    They can end your employment at any time in the first 2 years.

Is it worth it to lose your job over this?
  • I'm unsure what you mean by this?
    I'm looking to see where I stand in terms of pay, not the position of my employment.
    I don't wish to leave the job, I just want to be paid the hourly rate that was offered to me rather than take a pay cut due to their own mistake.
  • KatrinaWaves
    I'm unsure what you mean by this?
    I'm looking to see where I stand in terms of pay, not the position of my employment.
    I don't wish to leave the job, I just want to be paid the hourly rate that was offered to me rather than take a pay cut due to their own mistake.

What I am saying is, if you refuse to drop down to the minimum wage they can decide that they no longer need you.

They can reduce your pay.
  • would that not be classed as unfair dismissal?
  • KatrinaWaves
    would that not be classed as unfair dismissal?

No, as its not based on a protected characteristic and you've worked there under 2 years.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/leaving-a-job/dismissal/check-if-your-dismissal-is-fair/
  • Putting dismissal aside, legally can they reduce my pay? The employees handbook says that they can’t reduce my pay only increase it.
  • Putting dismissal aside, legally can they reduce my pay? The employees handbook says that they can’t reduce my pay only increase it.
    If you agree, yes. If you do not agree they can dismiss you.
  • KatrinaWaves
    Putting dismissal aside, legally can they reduce my pay? The employees handbook says that they can’t reduce my pay only increase it.

As above. And with them having lots of discussions with HR they likely will as it will cause repercussions they don’t want.

It will cause issues when someone who has worked there since they were under 21 who only got min wage. It will cause issues with any other under 21s who join and are on the wrong pay.

Choose your hill to die on. This is not it. You may be morally right but morals don’t come into it. They are legally able to dismiss you if you don’t agree to go back to the minimum wage like everyone else. If they have had ‘multiple conferences’ clearly they are going to do it one way or the other.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    This seems to be a common theme with those less versed (and the younger generation) in employment legislation; they assume they have all sorts of rights and employers can't do anything without their permission. Then there's the disbelief stage that an employer can effectively sack an employee for whatever they want in the first two years which you're in now.

I would be exceedingly careful if I was you as a "sales assistant in a major high street store" will have an army of 18 year old replacements just like you, willing to work for £7.40 p/h. I think the fact they kept trying to send you a revised contract should have indicated this. By the sounds of it, you're also still in your probationary period?

You're part time, is this 60p per hour really worth losing the job over?!
    Know what you don't
  • hyubh
    hyubh Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    Choose your hill to die on. This is not it.
    Exodi wrote: »
    You're part time, is this 60p per hour really worth losing the job over?!

Presumably both of you would just shrug your shoulders if you got an immediate pay cut of 7.5% tomorrow...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure