Moving an earth bonding cable

Options
Before I start, I just wanted to check I'm not about to do anything 'unsafe'.

A couple of years ago I had a new fuse box fitted, along with the earth bonding cables. The water supply comes in through the cellar, and the cable to it takes a somewhat unsightly, and quite long route to it. Now I'm preparing to decorate I decided it would be a good time to have it moved, but it seems pointless getting an electrician to do such a simple job, unless there are any rules that say I should.

Would there be any issues doing it myself?

I will be getting an electrician in at some point as I want some more double sockets fitting, but I can't think there would be anything for him to even check on a single cable.

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Shhhsh!

I won't let on you moved it, if you don't. :)
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The biggest concern with moving a main protective bonding conductor is that you obviously don't know what you are doing despite the fact that this is a fundamental part of a safe electrical installation.

The fact you called it an "earth bonding" cable proves that - Earthing and bonding are completely different things.

It is a main protective bonding conductor (previously known as a main equipotential bonding conductor). It must be installed correctly for your safety. Get a competent Electrical Contractor in (https://www.niceic.com - look for Approved Contractors).
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • societys_child
    Options
    it seems pointless getting an electrician to do such a simple job
    I'd just disconnect it, reroute it, and reconnect it as it was. The only thing you're changing is the unsightly route the cable takes. Does anyone really need to be certified to do that?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Does anyone really need to be certified to do that?

Nope. But testing the installation afterwards does require some fairly expensive kit and the knowledge to use it.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    Nope. But testing the installation afterwards does require some fairly expensive kit and the knowledge to use it.

That's not a problem, if it's advisable, as I can get the electrician to test it when he fits the extra sockets. I just didn't know if the cable was anything more than an additional safety feature. I've survived most of my life without electrocuting myself while I clean my teeth, and there are plenty of comments on forums about plumbers just cutting the cable when they do some work, and leaving it disconnected, with the occupants suffering nothing more than an unexpectedly high bill from the next electrician to visit the property.

The risk of any faults occurring on a relatively recent installation seem fairly low to me, combined with my disinclination to do anything with electrical items near the sink.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Why don't you ask the electrician to move it when you get him to fit the sockets? I'm sure it won't cost a lot extra if it's a simple enough job and like you say they will be testing the system afterwards anyway.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Risteard wrote: »
    The fact you called it an "earth bonding" cable proves that - Earthing and bonding are completely different things.

In my day it was Earthed Equipotential Bonding :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Risteard
    Risteard Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In my day it was Earthed Equipotential Bonding :rotfl:

No it wasn't. It was main equipotential bonding but the protective measure EEBAD (which later became ADS) was Earthed Equipotential Bonding with Automatic Disconnection of Supply. EEBAD was rebadged as ADS in 2008.
    RECI & Safe Electric Registered Electrical Contractor
    NICEIC Approved Contractor
    ECA Registered Member
  • societys_child
    Options
    In the context of this thread, you'd have to be pretty rubbish if expensive equipment was needed to check the installation afterwards . .
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Why don't you ask the electrician to move it when you get him to fit the sockets?

That was my original plan, but then I realised there was a much better route for the cable. Unfortunately it requires a lot of stuff moving to give suitable access. Not knowing which day the electrician will be fitting the sockets, it would mean leaving the stuff I'd moved cluttering the house for longer than I like. DIY means I can limit at least one point of disruption.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure