Thomas Cook - what you need to know - MSE News

Comments

• N4t4lie wrote: »
    Did you just book flights direct with Thomas Cook? If so contact your credit car and make the claim under S75 and see if they will cover the extra cost of new fights. If not and you booked the flight through an intermediary S75 may not apply (see the Section 75 guide on the main website).

Without being 100% sure of what an and how you booked I have assumed you are talking about flight only. Hope that helps.

Yes, we booked flights only direct with Thomas Cook. I'll give Halifax a ring and see what they say.
  • A relative had to cancel a Thomas Cook holiday last week before collapse. Insurance would cover it (medical) but they need a “no show” letter from Thomas Cook for the missed flight. Does anyone know of any way to get this now. (Have a letter from hotel and private transfers - just flight with no letter now)
  • MRSJHD wrote: »
    I booked a trip to the Maldives leaving on Tuesday direct with TC in one of their shows over the phone. Noted as package, Flights are with emirates, speed boat transfers and superior beach bungalow at sun island resort. Paid deposit on my husband CC and balance on mine. All documentation sent by email and copy of booking through post no ATOL certificate with any of these although states they charged my £5 for ATOL cover. Does have the ATOL logo and number 1179 on the paperwork. I emailed sun resort yesterday and ask if my accommodation still valid they replied no TC had not paid accommodation so would need to rebook with them nearly £2000 would hold rooms. I emailed resort again re amount and told not holding rooms and if wanted to rebook what info needed. Have emailed back to query but nothing back yet. I called Emirates twice and the flights are still valid and advised TC had paid them, can get access to the booking via Emirates app. Looked at booking accommodation via another travel operator but prices have rocketed.
    If I rebook direct won’t have ATOL protection but would have CC protection under section 75? If I go what can I claim back presumably only the hotel as used the flights but my paperwork doesn’t breakdown the cost of the package or do I can for what I paid to rebook (as long as is not more than the total holiday package cost)? If I decide not to rebook accommodation so don’t go at all do I have to cancel the flights with Emirates and likely be charged a fee for doing so? This is not like going someone in Europe where there is likely to be plenty of choice of accommodation so I’m a bit unclear as to how this would work. Where do I go to claim under all these scenarios ATOL or CC? Any advise that you can give?

Information on ABTA's website: https://www.abta.com/thomas-cook-tour-operations-limited (matches the ATOL number you have given).

Unfortunately it seems to say that all future bookings have been cancelled, I assume the news has not filtered through to Emirates yet. I hate to be the bearer of bad news this close to your holiday, but it looks like obtaining a refund through ATOL may be the only route you have. Others on here flying with Virgin on packages purchased through TC thought their flights were safe, but have since been told they are not. It can take a few days for the correct information to filter through when companies go bust.

You are not alone in not having received an ATOL certificate so I assume the paperwork you have should be enough to make a claim.

Sorry to not be able to give you better news and yes I can see the madness that when you have a valid flight ticket in hand that you can't rescue you holiday. ATOL is a great insurance to have, but it is does not cover all situations and works best when something goes wrong when you are on holiday, if you have yet to leave it only guarantees a full refund I'm afraid.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    KimE wrote: »
    A relative had to cancel a Thomas Cook holiday last week before collapse. Insurance would cover it (medical) but they need a “no show” letter from Thomas Cook for the missed flight. Does anyone know of any way to get this now. (Have a letter from hotel and private transfers - just flight with no letter now)

Unfortunately no such letter will be available from Thomas Cook.

I would hope that the insurers will apply a degree of common sense over your claim knowing that you can’t travel given the company failure - or get any documentation from them.

I suggest submitting what documents you can and just add a covering note to say no ‘no show’ letter is available given the company entering Administration. Unless they are living on Mars they must be aware of the situation with Thomas Cook.
  • shbrooks wrote: »
    Yes, we booked flights only direct with Thomas Cook. I'll give Halifax a ring and see what they say.

Make sure they process it as a S75 and not a chargeback, make that very clear. Do post what you find as others may find the information helpful.
  • KimE wrote: »
    A relative had to cancel a Thomas Cook holiday last week before collapse. Insurance would cover it (medical) but they need a “no show” letter from Thomas Cook for the missed flight. Does anyone know of any way to get this now. (Have a letter from hotel and private transfers - just flight with no letter now)

Surely a copy of the web page saying Thomas Cook Airlines is no longer trading would be enough? Agree with the other person that posted that they can't not have heard about TC going under. Did you send something to TC before they collapsed to ask for the no show letter? All evidence that you tried, I hope they show some leniency in your case and pay out.
  • I've had a slight update! So I was told via the helpline yesterday that I would receive an email within 24 hours, that has come and gone and still no email.

I've since been DMing Virgin on twitter and they have now said that the provide was Gold Medal and I would need to get email confirmation from them. This is the first mention of this (bare in mind I've spoken to several people about this now) and they aren't mentioned anywhere on my booking or aotl protection.

I feel that they are just fobbing me off at this point and all I want is something in writing to confirm that my flights are cancelled so that this doesn't change down the line...
    I do have text messages from the helpline - is this enough? Shall I just go ahead and rebook?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,957 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Welcome to new posters joining us as a result of Thomas Cook collapsing. If you want to post a question or comment, you should be able to see a blue button marked "post reply" near the bottom left of the screen.

I just want to highlight the following from the main article:
    Online safety website Get Safe Online has warned Thomas Cook's collapse is likely to spark a rash of scams.

It says fraudsters are likely to send emails, texts, phone calls or social media messages claiming to be from the Official Receiver, Thomas Cook itself or a legal firm, offering refunds or compensation, requesting bank details or even asking for an upfront payment as a fee for handling compensation claims.

Get Safe Online says if you receive a message you're suspicious of, always communicate with the organisation directly to make sure they're genuine. See its full Thomas Cook scam help.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • I’m struggling to find out if park tickets and car hire are covered by ATOL. All booked through Thomas Cook website when we booked our holiday as part of the package but listed as “extras” on the invoice
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I’m struggling to find out if park tickets and car hire are covered by ATOL. All booked through Thomas Cook website when we booked our holiday as part of the package but listed as “extras” on the invoice
    Have you read Martin's very useful and comprehensive article (first page)?

Package hols which include a flight are ATOL-protected
    Package holidays that include a flight are covered by the Air Travel Organiser's Licence (ATOL) scheme. This is the case whether you booked direct with Thomas Cook or via an agent. Look for the ATOL protection sticker (shown right) .You should have received an ATOL certificate when booking (if you booked direct with Thomas Cook, it will be on the final page of your booking documents):
    ATOL protection means that if you hadn't started your trip at the point Thomas Cook stopped trading, you'll get a full refund.

The Civil Aviation Authority says it will be launching a service to manage all refunds by Monday 30 September. This refunds service will seek to process all refunds within 60 days of full information being received.

The CAA has confirmed that ATOL refunds will be for the full cost of your booking – including any extras you paid for as part of the booking, such as seat reservations or in-flight meals. If you booked with a gift card and your holiday is ATOL-protected, your refund will be paid in cash.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family