Calculating coupon savings?

Hi all.

I'm fairly new to couponing but I'm already addicted! I have a spreadsheet that I record them all on, but I'm not sure how to record items and savings if it was already reduced.

Say for example I had a manufacturing coupon for £5 for cat food (yes the very expensive stuff from Pets at a Home and the such) and usually it was £8.44 (see? expensive!) but i did a price comparison across stores and found it in a store that had a temporary in store price reduction to £6.22, then I used my voucher bringing it down to £1.22 (lucky aren't I?!). Would that mean I have saved £5 because that's the face value of the coupon, or would I have saved £7.22 because I've shopped around to maximise my voucher? Or even more complicated... I usually spend £2 on the same amount of cat food so would I only have a true saving of 78p?!

Thanks for your patience following all of my rambling there! :rotfl:
Only two people away from a threesome :grouphug:
[FONT=&quot][STRIKE](£22,131.38 debt hanging around my neck[/FONT])
Bankrupt, (14/9/12)
£300 away from debt free!! (16/6/14)[/STRIKE]
£2017 in 2017 = 0

Comments

• umami
    umami Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You hadn't said whether your cat enjoyed the posh food!
    I would say you have given your cat a treat!
    I like your detailed research before using the voucher.
    Using my head I would say you saved 78p.
    But giving your cat a treat is worth it whatever!:rotfl:w
  • Random question but I'm just about to start trying to coupon and I wondered if you can let me know what's on your spreadsheet?? I love spreadsheets but just don't know where to start with one for this x
  • VikkiG1972
    VikkiG1972 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 July 2017 at 10:55AM
    I've really gotten into coupons recently (now addicted!) - you can save a fortune.

My rule of thumb is to only use coupons for products I would usually buy OR where if I switch to a different brand I will still make a saving against what my regular brand would cost. I calculate my savings based on the best price of the product available at that time - I check the price of my REGULAR brand as well as the brand attached to the coupon. Therefore, I would calculate your saving as 78p.
  • I was wondering which were the best online sites for printing coupons. I've have a few error messages saying that the site is dodgy, although they are from the companies themselves. Could anyone point me to some good coupon sites?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure