Trains more expensive near Christmas?

Hi,

I'm hoping to go down to wales on the train with my housemate to stay the xmas week(or so) with my parents.

I Usually have no problem with trains and that, but i was wondering, as i've never travelled anywhere near Christmas, does anyone know/experienced that they put the fares up closer to Christmas?

As i've just looked for the latest date possible on the national rail website, 3 months ahead and the price for a SINGLE is already £33 when i only pay £26 for a return.

I'm really broke at the moment and there's no way i could afford £66 for me, and nor could my house mate.

I will wait and see when they open up another week and see what the prices are, but would be interested to know if they do, do a price rise nearer to Christmas day?

Maybe the trains just really booked already? Hmm.
Save, save, save, save.

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,672
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You don't say where you're travelling from or who the tain operator is, but I think it's more likely that the cheaper tickets aren't available yet. They tend to only go on sale 12 weeks before the date of travel. Certainly Virgin advance tickets are currently only avaiable up to 14th December at the moment.

I'd suggest keep trying daily over the next couple of weeks (or find out if your particular train operators website offers the option of mailing you when advance tickets are released for a particular day you have specified.
  • Sorry, Traveling from any Manchester station to Hereford, and it's with Arriva trains wales.

They show up to 17th Dec at the moment and we're looking to leave 17/18/19th.

The 17th currently is where i saw the 'advanced' ticket, at £33.80 single, and the 16th is also that price :/
    Save, save, save, save.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 26 September 2012 at 7:30AM
    That £33.80 is NOT an 'advanced' ticket - it's an anytime day single that you could buy on the day. ATW have NOT released their advance tickets yet and probably won't for a bit. 8 Dec seems to be the latest date

You should still be able to get advance tickets right up to Christmas - they may be slightly more expensive (eg £17 rather than £13) and you may need to be flexible about times but it's unlikley there will be none at all
  • dzug1 wrote: »
    That £33.80 is NOT an 'advanced' ticket - it's an anytime day single that you could buy on the day. ATW have NOT released their advance tickets yet and probably won't for a bit. 8 Dec seems to be the latest date

You should still be able to get advance tickets right up to Christmas - they may be slightly more expensive (eg £17 rather than £13) and you may need to be flexible about times but it's unlikley there will be none at all

Thank you! For some reason, i thought that the £33 ticket was advanced, since normally when i order a couple weeks (4-5) ahead it always brings up the advanced, this would make more sense.

I will keep checking.
    Save, save, save, save.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,365
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    3rd December shows all tickets at £13 or £17 one way - and they are ADVANCE tickets
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure