Watching/monitoring at work

Hi
Can anyone advise if being watched by supervisory staff at work is considered the same as monitoring, and if an employer should be notifying the individual that they are being monitored (watched)?
By watching, I don’t mean just checking the quality of someone’s work, more watching an individual generally from a distance. And also using informants to provide information about individuals.

Thanks

Comments

• minihaha wrote: »
    Hi
    Can anyone advise if being watched by supervisory staff at work is considered the same as monitoring, and if an employer should be notifying the individual that they are being monitored (watched)?
    By watching, I don’t mean just checking the quality of someone’s work, more watching an individual generally from a distance. And also using informants to provide information about individuals.

Thanks
    Really? You do know the definition of supervisory? How does someone supervise if they don't oversee the work and the people doing it. If you are doing your work correctly then you have nothing to worry about. Of course they don't have to notify you that supervisors supervise.
  • Blatchford wrote: »
    Really? You do know the definition of supervisory? How does someone supervise if they don't oversee the work and the people doing it. If you are doing your work correctly then you have nothing to worry about. Of course they don't have to notify you that supervisors supervise.

I suspect the OP is referring to be watched whilst they are doing their duties or, more likely, should be doing their duties.

From what the OP has written it sounds like there have been comments made to the Supervisor about them using the internet or phone and the supervisor is perhaps gathering evidence.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    minihaha wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks

Did you not read the answers to your previous thread?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5982257
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • nicechap wrote: »

Indeed.

Having read both threads I think the OP needs to be more direct and say exactly what the problem is. I rather suspect "gettingtheresometime" may be along the right lines....
    From what the OP has written it sounds like there have been comments made to the Supervisor about them using the internet or phone and the supervisor is perhaps gathering evidence.
  • Indeed.

Having read both threads I think the OP needs to be more direct and say exactly what the problem is. I rather suspect "gettingtheresometime" may be along the right lines....
    So do I. Hence the comment about having nothing to worry about if there is nothing to see. But I think the poster needs to get a grip if they think that "being watched" by someone whose job description is "supervisor" is going to merit any defence to anything. But to be clear, there is no data law that prevents people using their eyes, and nor does the employer need to put up signs saying that managers might use their eyes.
  • I realise I need to clarify:

I work in an environment that is very dated in its style of management. One of my Supervisors has been suspended and it is possible (very likely) the individual may be sacked soon. I believe the investigation has uncovered years of abuse by this individual and I have made a submission to the investigation, which could be considered as very telling about the whole environment and not just the individual.

I have looked on various websites and monitoring includes references to CCTV cameras, emails, phone logs, etc., which doesn’t apply to me, and I’ve understood that they may have to inform you that you are being monitored. What I have read, though, doesn’t include watching people- which can be quite extreme and intimidating where I work.

So, through my question I am trying to understand if they should be informing me that I am being monitored, so that it is formalised. And I do think they also use CCTV to keep a watch on people, when they see fit. But I don't think our HR department is aware of what goes on. They certainly weren't aware of the behaviour of the individual that has been suspended.

Just to add: I don’t consider myself to do anything wrong at work, but feel vulnerable because of what I have added to the investigation.

Yes, I did read them. This is a very big company manufacturing a household brand, but I would say from my shortish time with the company there is a dark past and they have only just established a properly qualified HR team (of around 10 people)

Just to add further to this- I have worked in manufacturing for around 20 years and believe the level of watching is extreme and appears to be unregulated, and have never seen it to the same level anywhere else.
  • minihaha wrote: »
    Just to add further to this- I have worked in manufacturing for around 20 years and believe the level of watching is extreme and appears to be unregulated, and have never seen it to the same level anywhere else.
    That's entirely up to the employer. Your opinion about it isn't relevant. Provided they comply with regulation about notices for cameras, they can watch you as much as they like. If you object to their culture, the obvious thing is for you to go back to an employer whose culture you like better.

And you might want to be cautious about making allegations of years of abuse when you've apparently, by your own admission, been there two seconds. Speculating on a possible disciplinary is not wise. It's nothing to do with you what you believe is happening. If you have involved yourself by making a complaint or giving a statement, then confine yourself to having done that and then get on with your job. You appear to think that HR is on your side and now they have HR you will have some sort of champions. They aren't on your side and the only people HR champion are the employers whose interests they are employed to protect.
  • Blatchford wrote: »
    That's entirely up to the employer. Your opinion about it isn't relevant. Provided they comply with regulation about notices for cameras, they can watch you as much as they like. If you object to their culture, the obvious thing is for you to go back to an employer whose culture you like better.

And you might want to be cautious about making allegations of years of abuse when you've apparently, by your own admission, been there two seconds. Speculating on a possible disciplinary is not wise. It's nothing to do with you what you believe is happening. If you have involved yourself by making a complaint or giving a statement, then confine yourself to having done that and then get on with your job. You appear to think that HR is on your side and now they have HR you will have some sort of champions. They aren't on your side and the only people HR champion are the employers whose interests they are employed to protect.

Actually, been there 5 years. And also was a major focus for the individual. And quite close to others who I saw victimised.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure