Tonnes of toiletries dumped at UK airport security - MSE News

Options
2»

Comments

• sallyrsm
    sallyrsm Posts: 339 Forumite
    Options
    My bag was 20x20cm and the contents added up to about 700ml, nothing more than 70ml inside, and they took it off me and gave me a much smaller bag.

I was taking my boyfriend who lives in Rotterdam some deodorants he can't buy here, they all fit in the bag but not the tiny one they gave me.

I went back to the car and left them. I'll take them when I take my son over in August as we'll have a suitcase then.

The size bag I had was always valid at Manchester, Heathrow and Gatwick...
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 18 July 2019 at 1:59PM
    Options
    sallyrsm wrote: »
    My bag was 20x20cm and the contents added up to about 700ml, nothing more than 70ml inside, and they took it off me and gave me a much smaller bag.

I was taking my boyfriend who lives in Rotterdam some deodorants he can't buy here, they all fit in the bag but not the tiny one they gave me.

I went back to the car and left them. I'll take them when I take my son over in August as we'll have a suitcase then.

The size bag I had was always valid at Manchester, Heathrow and Gatwick...

So what size was the 'much smaller bag'?

Are you 100% sure that the bag you've always used really is 20cm x 20cm?

Humberside Airport website states:
    Liquids, Medication and Baby Food
    If you need to, you can take small quantities of liquids through security. But only if they are carried in a single, clear, re-sealable plastic bag and each item is placed in a separate container no greater than 100ml/100g. A re-sealable freezer bag – approximately 20cm x 20cm or smaller - is about the right size. Contents must fit comfortably inside the bag so it can be sealed. The bag must not be knotted or tied at the top. You are limited to 1 plastic bag per person, which you must show at the airport security point.
    https://www.humbersideairport.com/at-the-airport/security-travel-advice/

Was your bag sealed?

I generally just do exactly as I'm told when going through security but I think in the circumstance you describe, I would probably have queried the rejection of the bag.
  • theshed
    theshed Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also have had items accepted at one Airport and rejected at the next.
    Most confusing was a couple of years ago at Rome Airport.
    I bought a bottle of water at the airport and mistakenly thought I could carry it through as it was purchased after check in and still sealed.
    I asked could I take a drink then put it into the bin after security.
    No, it had to go back the other side. I walked back to the bin, took a good swig and threw the bottle away. I was then waved through the Security gate with no further checks !
    Also how can some airports give away the bags and others charge £1 ?
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    theshed wrote: »
    Also how can some airports give away the bags and others charge £1 ?
    Where do they still charge for a bag? I thought that scam had ended.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    Where do they still charge for a bag? I thought that scam had ended.

Luton were charging last time I was there.

There's a kid's sweet dispenser style machine before security. If you make it through to the other side of the scanner, they give you a free bag when the person manually searches your luggage.

I carry extra bags (normally grabbed from airports where they are free) in case mine splits during the trip. On a few times, I've given a bag away to people who don't have a pound coin on them.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,378 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    You'd hope that such items, where possible, could be redistributed to charities / homeless shelters or via "food banks", but what's the bet they end up in the bin...anyone know??

They heard me!!! It would appear Southend Airport are doing this!! Hopefully others will follow...
    https://www.gateway978.com/news/local/southend/southend-airport-donates-to-food-bank

:T
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure