Help! Bristol-Manchester open return, can I return to Bristol via York?

I will be travelling by train from Bristol to Manchester with an open (anytime) return tomorrow, and want to do a little detour to York for a couple of days afterwards.

I purchased a single to go from Manchester-York, and the idea is, to go back home to Bristol from York (instead of going all the way back to Manchester). So Bristol-Manchester, Manchester-York, York-Bristol. Is the latter doable using my open return to Manchester? The rules state any any 'permitted' route, so as long as I'm heading back to Bristol I should be ok, right?

Thank you!

Comments

• timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Check with your local station: I do think it unlikely that via york on the return is a permitted route however.
    There are manuals the staff can consult and you can expect the staff on train to know IME.
    They will work the same routes on a daily basis, so if the ticket is not valid then you are liable for a full single fare Manchester to Bristol or PF whichever applies.
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Actually after looking at the route map, it's a definite 'no' from me: take a look: you'd be travelling up to manc, across to york and up and then down diagonally: basically the permitted routes are as anyone would expect really: if there is another more or less straight route i.e. London to exeter via westbury or via bath/Bristol would be permitted however London to Edinburgh via Cardiff wouldn't be: it's way off route.
    Your intended route is a long long way off normal route.
    Unless specifically stated all posts by me are my own considered opinion.
    If you don't like my opinion feel free to respond with your own.
  • To be honest I dont think that will allow it as it is way off course and generally the routes associated with tickets are eithe rthe direct route or any route which is within 3 miles. And York is a lot further then 3 miles for that route.

You can check the routeing guide HERE for further reference though it is complicated or maybe check if there is an excess you can pay to travel from York - it may be pricey though as its an off route journey IMO.

Your best bet for a more complete answer to it all is to go to http://www.railforums.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=105 where you will find people who have far greater knowledge due to either working in the industry or being enthusiats.
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 2,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There are basically two valid routes from Manchester to Bristol:

Manchester - Newport (South Wales)
    Newport - Bristol

Manchester - Birmingham
    Birmingham - Bristol

So from York you'd need a York - Birmingham ticket in order to get back to Bristol

Easiest thing may be just to buy Manchester - York return, and return there. The return ticket will cost much the same as a single anyway.

The journey from Manchester - Bristol is an hour shorter than from York, so this really isn't as bad as it sounds.

It's also cheaper (together) than a Bristol - York ticket (which WOULD be valid via Manchester), so not bad all-in-all really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure