PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

house dispute

Comments

• daniesto
    daniesto Posts: 48 Forumite
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    I shall ask again, who has been declaring the rental income to HMRC?

Another question, who has been responsible for the repairs and maintenance of the property for the last 15 years?

I declared for HMRC as its all in my name. Prior to me refurbing the house to luxury living there hardly ever repair work. I paid expensive stuff like new boiler, boiler repairs, washing machine, fridge etc. I do not know if he has paid for anything.
  • daniesto
    To me that sounds as though Paul is the sole legal owner of the property but Tom might be the sole beneficial owner of the property. Could you please clarify:

1) Who is named as the landlord on the tenancy agreements?

2) Who has been declaring the rental income to HMRC?

1) Paul
    2) Paul
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 5 July 2018 at 6:26PM
    Then it sounds as if Tom can jog on.

Edit: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I am out!
  • daniesto
    foxy-stoat wrote: »
    3) Did Paul commit mortgage fraud by not declaring the deposit come from Tom or the terms of the "loan"?

It was given as a gift never as a loan. My broker did everything. I was 20 back then and it was only £164 mortgage but my income was good as I had a fairly good job.
  • daniesto
    Tom would only be entitled to the rent money if he was the beneficial owner. If your mutual agreement was that Tom received the rent money then it sounds as if the mutual agreement meant Tom was the beneficial owner.

It's either that or you've been evading tax for 15 years.

mutual as in only a verbal agreement, nothing written. it was only agreed because of my mum. I believe the tax was paid
  • daniesto
    Are you now saying that you received the rent money and not Tom?

How did the mortgage payments jump up to £1,000 a month?
    it was over payments. I never received the rent money. Property was let out through an estate agent, rent money goes to the agent then from agent to Tom.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    daniesto wrote: »
    it was over payments. I never received the rent money. Property was let out through an estate agent, rent money goes to the agent then from agent to Tom.

so what did you declare to HMRC and how much tax did you pay on money you apparently never saw?
  • Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    So Tom collects rent, yet Paul pays the tax?

If Tom's income was significantly high Paul could've underpaid tax and depending on his intent, one or the other may have committed tax fraud? Of course if you're both quite poor it's not an issue, but if you had different income levels and depending on when one of you was paying...
  • daniesto
    so what did you declare to HMRC and how much tax did you pay on money you apparently never saw?
    it was all done through an estate agent he knew. they said all taxes are paid. I never did pay any attention to it. only recently I start digging into this.
  • Lysimache
    Lysimache Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    For a court, what a) written proof do you have that the other guy gifted you the money? b) why did you let the other person collect profit for so long? Do you have written evidence of your objections from early on?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure