PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How can I make a neighbour dispute official?

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Openreach stick poles into verges all over the place and affix their usual notice to them, which gives contact details for any landowner who objects to the new pole. They certainly don't go around asking permission or checking with the Land Registry over each one, although most are just replacements.

The Pole Objections Unit was in York, and it probably still is. I know, because I objected to a pole illegally placed on my land. I gave them the statutory 28 days notice to respond and added that I was happy to move it myself if they didn't.

They responded. They also agreed there was no wayleave in place, so they crossed my palm with silver and the pole was re-sited. Sounds easy, but took months.

While discussing siting with their surveyor, he left me in no doubt that Openreach can, if necessary, use their statutory powers to place a pole where they need it. I'm a perfectly reasonable person, so it didn't come to that.

Now your connection isn't a pole, it's just an armoured wire, but I have one of those too, literally sitting on the bed of my stream and running to the pole. It all forms part of the same wayleave. I imagine therefore that Openreach have the same powers to lay wires as they have for erecting poles, but for some reason they aren't pushing hard enough on your behalf. Maybe a letter to your local MP might do the trick.

As regards trying to bribe the neighbour first, Openreach should stump up a £150 one-off payment and you could, perhaps, add to that. Everyone has their price....
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wish I had remembered that yesterday, Davesnave. Vet8 could perhaps have PM-ed you. Never mind, you are here now. :)
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 July 2018 at 11:17AM
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I wish I had remembered that yesterday, Davesnave. Vet8 could perhaps have PM-ed you. Never mind, you are here now. :)
    I've said all I know. Getting in contact with anyone remotely sentient at Openreach was the main issue at that time, which is why I went heavy after being ignored for ages.

Dealing with the surveyor was fine. I didn't want to spoil a neighbour's view and he didn't want commit to spending more than absolutely necessary, but we found a compromise which worked, without him having to use the powers he referred-to.

He started with the preamble about powers probably because my letter made me look like one of those stroppy, no-compromise farmers!
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Options
    Well, if your neighbour's worried about the works disrupting his sale, I'd be tempted to disrupt it anyway. Maybe erecting a large sign on your property facing his saying "please buy this f*ckpig's house, so I don't have to have this selfish sc*mbag as a neighbour any more", or "I've only just finished a 10-stretch for GBH on selfish melts".

If you were really creative you could put some outdoor speakers in that would play rap randomly.

If the ownership is unclear, what stops you building a fence around the verge that encloses the pole?
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you actually spoken to your neighbour rather than complaining to everyone else left, right & centre? ie talked to him about why he has said no/continues to say no and explained your own position?
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,241 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you actually spoken to your neighbour rather than complaining to everyone else left, right & centre? ie talked to him about why he has said no/continues to say no and explained your own position?

I would do this. Explain to him why you really need a land line. Everybody should have the ability to call 999 if there's a fire or a medical emergency. Then if he's still being stubborn, you can go all medieval on him.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2018 at 11:57AM
    Options
    pimento wrote: »
    I would do this. Explain to him why you really need a land line. Everybody should have the ability to call 999 if there's a fire or a medical emergency. Then if he's still being stubborn, you can go all medieval on him.

Adding to that thought being that you've said there is "no mobile signal at all where we live" - and I'm wondering if some mobile phone networks would be "stronger" and would pick up a signal - even if the one you personally use doesnt do so. He might have a "stronger" mobile phone operator than you do - so his works, even though yours doesnt iyswim - and he's therefore just assuming yours works too. Though I still think he is being unreasonable not to accept you having a landline and, of course, there's the point as to how you are getting your Internet access without a landline?? - followed by any buyer of your house will take it for granted they will have a landline/Internet access that way. I know I did when I bought current house and have been fighting and fighting since I came here to get "the norm - which I'm used to".

I know I'm in a town now where that seems to be the case (ie differences between mobile phone operators) - ie some people can/some can't - according to which operator we have.
  • pinklady21
    pinklady21 Posts: 870 Forumite
    Options

I asked the same question twice already.....posts #27 and 33!
  • Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's entirely possible OpenReach have sent the neighbour a garbled, rude, inaccurate computer generated letter about access that has got his back up. Why not put a note through the door calmly explaining the situtation with the key points being:

-you are worried about the inability to call emergency services with no mobile or landline (perhaps mention a health condition)
    -the work required is quick and minimal (describe it)
    -you will reschedule it with reasonable notice of a viewing
    -happy to meet and discuss
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You have my sympathies, OP.

Nearly five months ago we bought a rural property with no landline/broadband. Our mobiles were with EE which we were told was the best for coverage/signal in this location - it isn't, being absolutely rubbish unless you are on the furthest point of our land. Previously we ran an online business and might do again, plus our DS and his partner are expecting their first baby, so a phone line (and internet) are important.

We contacted BT/Openreach (difficult in itself when you have to go some distance to make a call) regarding installation of a landline/broadband and on visiting the property they said it would take a month to set up as another property locally had "taken the slot" previously!!!8203; used by ours. There are very few houses nearby - only two apart from us in our lane and we're surrounded by fields.

Two months later they were still fobbing us off with all sorts of carp about issues with digging up nearby roads. Then, after DH spoke to someone higher up the food chain, an Openreach guy visited our property and said nothing had actually been done yet! After visiting our nearest neighbour (who is also a bit of an idiot and who had previously been evasive when we asked him about phone lines) with DH, he said a cable needed to be laid across his land and onto another property (both are grade 2 listed, ours is not) where the box is located. He said Listed Building Consent would be required to do this, but if we were happy to lay the cable ourselves they would supply it and return to connect it when we were done. The neighbour reluctantly agreed.

BT/Openreach supplied us with a length of cable last month, but we've decided not to bother, having discovered that a new mobile on a different network gives a signal in parts of the house and all our land. We'll probably be getting a dongle too......

Not that this helps you, OP, but just wanted to share our experience. Basically I think BT/Openreach are pretty useless when it comes to rural property :mad:
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family