MSE News: Shopping at Tesco this month? Your bill may be rounded up for charity

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Self service till at Tesco Metro 'asked' if I wanted to round up.
    I declined.

Probably going to do a big shop at our local Tesco Extra today, I'll be listening for the question. ;)
  • Caddyman
    Options
    I've just mentioned this to my wife. She tells me, the 'rounding up' has only come to her attention when paying at self service tills. She went into the same Tesco Extra as I did and paid for her goods at self service and told me the option to donate was clearly displayed on the payment screen. Whether this is the same with 'Scan as you shop', I don't know. All I know is, when I bought my stuff the other day, I went through a till with an operative and the subject never cropped up and my bill wasn't 'rounded up'.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »
    She went into the same Tesco Extra as I did and paid for her goods at self service and told me the option to donate was clearly displayed on the payment screen.

Was it the correct amount though?
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Caddyman
    Options
    Was it the correct amount though?

Lol! Such suspicion!

Yes, we've both checked the receipt this morning. It is entirely correct.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »
    Lol! Such suspicion!

Yes, we've both checked the receipt this morning. It is entirely correct.
    It's not suspicion though.

Owain has pointed out that the message shown on the self-service till screen is factually incorrect:
    Check the amounts carefully!!!

On the (scan as you shop) checkout it asked if I wanted to round up by 0.04p for charity.

Clearly this isn't possible, as checkouts don't work in hundredths of a penny. The amount should be 4p or £0.04.

This isn't just nit-picking -- the checkout is asking for your consent for one amount, then deducting another amount.

Assuming this bug is present on all checkouts - or at least all self-scan or scan as you shop checkouts - then EVERY charity 'donation' has been taken from customers' funds without consent.

I didn't notice when I used the tills yesterday but I'll look next time.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Just checked our till receipt from earlier.

It came to £xx.30 so no rounding up to be done.
  • HornetSaver
    Options
    If Sainsburys or Asda came up with this idea I'd be on board with it.

I object to Tesco doing it because of the plastic bag hike - they should be donating the extra revenue to this particular charitable cause, and use an innovative scheme like this at some point in the future when aforementioned source of revenue tails or levels off.

As an aside, Tesco's 10p bags are of no better quality than Sainsbury's 5p or Asda's 6p ones, and I challenge Tesco to demonstrate how they're better for the environment either.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If Sainsburys or Asda came up with this idea I'd be on board with it.

I object to Tesco doing it because of the plastic bag hike - they should be donating the extra revenue to this particular charitable cause, and use an innovative scheme like this at some point in the future when aforementioned source of revenue tails or levels off.

As an aside, Tesco's 10p bags are of no better quality than Sainsbury's 5p or Asda's 6p ones, and I challenge Tesco to demonstrate how they're better for the environment either.
    I totally agree! If they just took a look at their profits from the sale of their bags I'm sure they'd find the money somewhere without needing to ask the customers to fit the bill.

I don't like their having selected the charity, they could at least ask all their clubcard holders who they would possibly like to donate from and then ask a more personalised question perhaps even offering two or three options as to where they might want to donate as well as even if they want to donate at all.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

The bag itself is no better for the environment, but by charging more, fewer people will use a bag and should start re-using them. Its got nothing to do with the bag being better for the environment, its all to do with the charge putting people off from using them.

Of course they could have just started charging 10p for the thin bags.
  • horsechestnut
    Options
    I only noticed this when I got home. (Only 8p) I certainly wasn't asked and nowhere does it say which charities are involved. As someone else commented, it would be better if we could chose our own charity, like M&S Sparks card. Or rotate local charities on a monthly basis. The effect would be much grater and boost the local economy and well being.
    They do have a collecting point near the exit where you can put tokens that are given at the checkout, specifically for local charities rotated on a monthly basis, and I have noticed that people do put odd pennies in this, eventhough it isn't the idea. So I feel that people would be much happier to give to local charities.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure