Striving to save and stay solvent!

Comments

• MeandO wrote: »
    £12 from TCB just paid out to the bank account. Will be swept into the savings once it is credited. :T

That's great! x
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,899
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    One of the gumtree items has been collected, but £5 of the £10 went straight out of my hand onto another collection. The other gumtree sale has cancelled, no longer wants the item. :(

Feeling really annoyed with myself, today I stupidly committed to a break which is going to cost £300. There's no getting out of it now and I have kicked myself a hundred times, but in a moment of madness it's gone on the credit card. I got sucked in by a "good" deal and money off code and before I'd even thought twice about it, I'd clicked the confirm button. I feel like such an idiot. This is precisely why I should not have a credit card. So, it's done now and I have to work my &!!!! off to pay it back asap. I thought twice about actually writing it down on here but if I don't, I'm just lying to myself.

Tomorrow night is eBay listing night. I have to make some extra money to pay it off, just the thought of a now near £600 balance on my credit card is making me anxious.
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £67,390
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £612.94/£2000 Total OP’s: £8823.50
    SAVINGS: EF: £6423.55/£15,000
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    I've started as I mean to go on and listed two auctions on eBay tonight. I'll get the others weighed before listing tomorrow.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Eager_Elephant Posts: 4,714
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    MeandO wrote: »
    Thank you Chandelier. :)

I'm fuming. Just had an email from a survey company stating they made a mistake - the survey advertised for £10 should have been advertised for 10p, so they are now taking that reward back and putting my account into a deficit of £10 which I have to 'work back' as I've already withdrawn the funds.

Have sent them a stinking email back saying that this is extremely poor practice.

Anyone agree?

I think it is extremely poor practice as these things should be checked unless it is PA as people upload their own surveys and I find that sometimes they don't check their survey before uploading it.

How long did the survey take? If it was a few minutes then I wouldn't have thought £10 would have been the reward but if it was 30mins+ then that would seem reasonable.

Well done for coming on and admitting that you have booked a holiday - do you think it is self-sabotage? Only this morning you posted about how well you were doing and that as long as you stick to the budget you will be fine and then a few hours later the holiday has been purchased.
    Its so difficult when you are in debt to realise that although a £300 holiday is a bargain, it is only a bargain if you actually have the funds to pay for it.

How much extra will the holiday costs in terms of spending money etc?
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    Thanks Eager_Elephant

I don't think it's self sabotage, but I'm very much someone who needs to look forward to something, it's just me taking my eye off the ball and 'forgetting' about everything in a moment of madness. Both OH and I have been feeling so down lately and have both been going through a lot individually. We talked about a short weekend away somewhere soon but I said neither of us could afford it, so we put it on the back burner. When I saw this at a 'good' price I had booked it before I'd even thought twice - sounds stupid, but that's my old impulsive ways coming back for a split second. It's stupid split second decisions like this that got me into debt into the first place. The only saving grace is that it will need no further spending as is self catering and only a couple of hours' drive from home, but still, I just shouldn't have done it.

Anyway, onwards and upwards I suppose. :(
    Once the building work is paid for, the focus will turn on paying the credit card off at a faster rate. Thankfully it's 0% for a long time.
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    I had an awful night's sleep last night, I was still awake at 2am and couldn't drop off. Probably yesterday's stupid decisions playing on my mind. :(

No bids on the two ebay items I listed last night, but there is one watcher on each. I will list the other bundle tonight.

Still no sign of any of the cashback or survey money hitting the bank account.:mad:

OH brought two HUGE bowls of salad and tomatoes leftover from an event at his work yesterday which were going to be thrown away. :mad: He was mad as they'd already thrown out big platters of cold meats and various breads before he could stop them. Such a waste. The sad thing is, there's a homeless young person's charity in the local town that would have gratefully accepted it all. So, now he brought this salad home late last night, it's salad and various bits for the forseeable! :rotfl:
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    2 surveys received and screened out of both, but 10 'points' banked. :(

I've listed some gumtree items on another selling page now, so hopefully they sell shortly. :)
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    Just looking at my tax credits claim and I realised I have never put the number of hours I work on my self-employment down. I just put the hours of my emplyed job down, there doesn't appear to be another box for self employed hours too. Should I phone them? I'm not entirely sure what to do.
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    Ok, so I just phoned them. Turns out I would have been entitled to a lot more from 2012 when I started my business, but they will backdate for one month only. :(
    I'm not working a lot of hours presently, but it gets really busy with the run up to Christmas and it's not unheard of for me to work 20 hours days at those times - I come home from work, sort DS out, put him to bed and work til the wee small hours for nights/weeks on end. If only I'd thought about it.
    I have told them my minimum hours for now and then will phone them back when things get busier in September - hopefully.

:doh:<<< this sums me up this this week.
  • MeandO
    Forumite
    Had some devastating news about my Mum's condition last night, not sure if I'll be feeling up to posting much at the moment, will be back when I can put one foot in front of the other again.

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business