PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Rent increase by 35%

As above, the landlord has just informed us that they will be increasing the monthly rent by £240 in January 2018.

We had a rent increase last year and the year before of around 2%, in our tenancy it states that 'the rent is normally increased by a percentage linked to the annual rate of inflation' This is the only section in our tenancy that mentions rent payments.

I know we rent, and it is his house (we rent privately) but we are good tenants, never late with the rent and have lived here for 9 years. Can he do this? Finding an extra £240 spare cash each month is going to be a challenge.

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 September 2017 at 5:09PM
    Is Jan 2018 when your current fixed term expires? Is this new rent being offered as part of a new fixed term contract?

If 'yes' to both, then yes he can. And likewise you don't have agree. You can

* agree or
    * negotiate
    * move elsewhere (f cheaper)
    * switch to a periodic tenancy at current rent and see what the landlord does eg

- nothing
    - S21 to evict (2 months)
    - S13 to increase the rent (you can appeal)

For more, see

* Rent increases: when & how can rent be increased?

How much are comparable properties renting for in the area?
  • Becks81
    Becks81 Posts: 426 Forumite
    Thank you for your post, and the informaton given.

In answer to your question, yes our current tenancy expires in Jan 2018, and this rent increase will commence from this new tenancy.

Having looking at similar houses in the area, the rent increase is fairly similar (something I was not aware of as have not been looking for over 9 years)

My argument really would be that it is a huge increase. But having just seen the information on the link you posted. If we put up too much of a fight, he could just give us notice anyway.

Thanks again for you response. It is much appreciated.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 8 September 2017 at 5:10PM
    Always worth negotiating.

Whilst a LL will normally want to keep his rent broadly in line with the local market rate, it is worth bearing in mind that a longstanding, reliable tenant is also of 'value' to a LL.

If you leave (or are evicted), the LL will

* have at least a month between tenants - that's a month+ lost rent
    * have marketing and other new tenancy set-up costs
    * often have to redecorate/update the property (esp after 9 years)
    * end up with a new, un-tested, tenant, who may or may not be reliable, and may, or may not, stay long-term.

So you have some bargaining power.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Becks81 wrote: »
    Thank you for your post, and the informaton given.

In answer to your question, yes our current tenancy expires in Jan 2018, and this rent increase will commence from this new tenancy.

Having looking at similar houses in the area, the rent increase is fairly similar (something I was not aware of as have not been looking for over 9 years)

My argument really would be that it is a huge increase. But having just seen the information on the link you posted. If we put up too much of a fight, he could just give us notice anyway.

Thanks again for you response. It is much appreciated.

Are you saying your rise brings you in line with your local market rate? If so you could always look at it that you have had the benefit for several years of underpaying the local rate.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If this is a now a market rent for the area the only way you can get to pay less is to move to a different area. Costs to the landlord will have risen over 9 years. You may find that the new amount of rent is the same ratio to your earnings as the rent you paid was 9 years ago and you have just got used to having a lower rent?
  • Car1980
    Car1980 Posts: 296
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Geez. Even if you negotiate and halve it, it's still a big increase. It's a bloody nerve. I'd look elsewhere on principle
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Car1980 wrote: »
    Geez. Even if you negotiate and halve it, it's still a big increase. It's a bloody nerve. I'd look elsewhere on principle
    its not a "nerve". The LL has been foolish in not increasing the rent by small amounts each year for the last 9 years and is now in the position where a step change is required to enable catch up.

I appreciate that for many people this may well be true, but if your pay had been frozen for 9 years, would you ask for a 1% pay rise now or would you want more than that?
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    00ec25 wrote: »
    I appreciate that for many people this may well be true, but if your pay had been frozen for 9 years, would you ask for a 1% pay rise now or would you want more than that?

Would want more, however would employers give that much of an increase?
  • caronoel
    caronoel Posts: 908
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    This is an illustration of the problem with landlords not putting their rents in line with market norms.

It just stores up a headache for the tenant when they want to find something new, or thd LL rebases the rent to a more realistic level.

The OP has done very well out of the landlord over the past 9 years. There may be some room for negotiation, but moving out may just be cutting your nose off to spite your face.

Time to pay market rates.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Seems steange with mortgages, if anything when first taken 9 years ago it was dropping rather than going up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure