MSE News: Ryanair to cut hand luggage allowance

Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
Budget airline Ryanair has announced that only priority boarding customers will be able to take two bags into the cabin from November - as part of a range of changes it hopes will "ease delays"...
Read the full story:
'Ryanair to cut hand luggage allowance'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 September 2017 at 11:02AM
    They aren't MSE Callum, you ain't read their press release correctly
    http://corporate.ryanair.com/news/ryanair-to-lower-checked-bag-fees/

THERE'S NO CUT TO HAND LUGGAGE ALLOWANCE!

The story here is checked luggage is cheaper and the weight allowance increases.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hand luggage (apart from small bag) will not be allowed in the cabin anymore unless you purchase Priority Boarding. Otherwise it will be placed in the hold, (free) no ifs buts or maybes.

On the other hand the cost of checked luggage will decrease.

Judging by some of the elephant trunks I saw being taken on board as hand luggage, something had to give here.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They have to do something.

The cabin was chaotic on a Ryanair flight I took recently - people trying to take way too much as hand luggage and staff struggling to close lockers, floor covered in bags etc.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ryanair are a brilliant airline. Without them many of us would be paying a heck of a lot more to go on our weekend trips and jollies.

I've travelled Ryanair many times and had great value and service. I have also seen many p**stakers trying to blag their way onto flights with oversized bags etc. I recently returned from Portugal and saw three people whipped out of the queue and billed a hefty amount for trying to blag oversized bags as hand luggage.

The message is just pay by the rules.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 6 September 2017 at 11:33AM
    So it seems if you turn up with just one wheely bag (larger size), it'll get taken off you and put in the hold.

Be interesting to see if it's actually implemented like this. Most flights I've been on have had very few priority boarders. If they're going to restrict everyone else to bags that fit under the seat there's going to a lot of empty overhead locker space! I suspect they'll end up allowing a lot of non-priority boarders on with their bags, perhaps towards the end of the queue.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Agree with zag,,all the faffing about will delay departure...its true though that the hand luggage thing needs managing due to abuse.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • This has already happened to us, flying back from Barcelona at the start of August. The flight was delayed and they came down the queue and told those of us with wheely cases they would have to go in the hold as they only have space for 90 cases in the overhead lockers. Fair enough, but we were at the back of the queue and there were plenty of customers sat down who had not even joined the queue who were permitted to have their bags with them. The reason we fly with hand luggage only is the extra wait time at the other end waiting for the carosels to be loaded! After buying a special wheely suitcase, specifically sized to be permitted in overhead lockers it now seems laughable that I have to pay an extra £5 for the priviledge of having it with me. And don't get me started on paying to sit next to my travel companion due to 'random seat allocation'. Ryanair - you've lost 1 customer for a start.
  • I'm struggling to understand why this is even worthy of a 'story'. I fly regularly, all over the world, the 'mucking about' I see from passengers with so called 'flight cabin baggage' often beggars belief.

I'm no fan of Ryanair, I've done one return trip with them to Dublin and that was enough for me, never again. That being said, I'm not going to sit here and whinge at whatever business model they choose to operate.

Ryanair are a privately owned company are they not? and they operate ultimately in the interests of their shareholders and to maximise whatever profit they can where they see fit. If travellers don't like it, then with the greatest respect, I'm sure there are other choices one can make? People constantly attracted by 'low air fares' topped up by pay for this, pay for that, what does one expect?

As for being 'separated' from friends and family through so called 'random' seat allocation, I admit, that isn't much fun, especially for families, but again, if there's something a potential customer doesn't like about how this Company operate, then find another way and if you can't, make do and move on. We've all heard the stories, there's enough press about it. Sorry that sounds harsh, but that's the reality.

If Ryanair suddenly lose hundreds of thousands of customers, then they might alter certain business decisions, but seemingly, no matter what the next thing they come up with, people will still fly with them. That's borne out by the sheer amount of people who use the airline. They must be doing something right!
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Caddyman wrote: »
    I'm struggling to understand why this is even worthy of a 'story'.
    Err, because it's useful news about a popular airline's baggage policy which will affect lots of MSE readers, perhaps?
  • zagfles wrote: »
    Err, because it's useful news about a popular airline's baggage policy which will affect lots of MSE readers, perhaps?

This 'useful' news will be undoubtedly be stated somewhere in the small print of Ryanair's T's&C's and online when booking if folks could be bothered to read them.

As I say, why is anyone whingeing at this? They're a private company operating under their own business model. I'm a MSE reader myself, but even I understand that private businesses make their own decisions, sometimes believe it or not, after scrutinising their OWN customers feedback. That may be difficult to comprehend, but there it is. I'm not being deliberately antagonistic here, I'm just a realist. If customers aren't happy, then make another choice, that's all I'm saying!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure