Green Network Energy Reviews: Add your feedback on the energy supplier

Comments

• Pippin8 wrote: »
    Just tried to switch online but it wouldn't let me get past the first page. Tried to answer the question "Select your current supplier and tariff" but no option to scroll or put in an answer. Is it better to phone them to switch?. Not a very good first impression!

Anyone else with this problem?

I signed up online yesterday evening and didn't experience any issues with the website.
  • When I called them yesterday they promised that my welcome pack etc would be emailed to me within 24 hours.

This morning it was waiting for me in my INBOX. No problem there.

After I added my password in order to officially 'sign up' I mistakenly overlooked their confirmation email which required me to click the link to activate the account ... so I gave them a ring .... they answered after a couple of rings and the fella was eminently professional and helpful.

I have a date for commencement of supply and a date for the first direct debit and they have told me when to submit meter readings.

The website isn't as sophisticated as, say, the British Gas one but it's OK for me and is easy to navigate.

Their price, according to the figures I used for comparison purposes, is a couple hundred pounds less than British Gas ... but I appreciate that it's a bit tricky to get real life savings figures. However what I am certain of is...the "Standard" British Gas tariff is the one you generally default to if you haven't opted for one of their fixed rate deals and it usually costs you money if you don't move away from the "Standard" tariff. But this time the two available fixed rate offers were only a pound or two different compared to the default "Standard" tariff i.e. the two fixed rate deals were hardly any more beneficial compared to their standard rate. They said (on the phone, when I pointed this out) that this was the first time that has been the case and that they never claim to be the cheapest but their service is more reliable than smaller companies etc ... blah, blah , blah ....

Maybe I will have to eat my words but at this early stage Green Network haven't blotted their copy book.
  • Swapped yesterday and found they will not change initial start date for direct debit. This means that to change the date eill incur a double payment. Then phoned to cancel and was told it is too early for their system to cancel new account. It would appear that if you want your payment to start on a certain day you should apply for a supplier swap twenty one days before you want your direct debit to start. Totally inflexible.
  • ButtersUK
    ButtersUK Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 September 2017 at 4:30PM
    Angler1701 wrote: »
    Swapped yesterday and found they will not change initial start date for direct debit. This means that to change the date eill incur a double payment. Then phoned to cancel and was told it is too early for their system to cancel new account. It would appear that if you want your payment to start on a certain day you should apply for a supplier swap twenty one days before you want your direct debit to start. Totally inflexible.

Surely you're not going to cancel the switch solely on the basis of one direct payment? I can't believe they wouldn't adjust the sum paid once you were up and running with them. You say 'totally inflexible' but I would imagine there are constraints in place associated with the bank in question and an inability to change the initial payment, hence the problem ... but I do know they made a point of saying the direct debit date could subsequently be changed.

If you're saying your finances won't permit two direct debit payments being taken at once due to, say, a low balance in the bank account (albeit only once, and subject to a later adjustment) then I must accept that and there's nothing more to add - but ordinarily a temporary debit of this nature from most people's account would be tolerable and, as mentioned, it can be sorted once the account is functioning normally.

EDIT, several days on......

No response to date from the poster, Angler 1701.

So we don't know how the switch over went or if the direct debit situation has been resolved or if the poster still regards them to be "totally inflexible".

Speaking personally, it has gone quiet during this period of time between switching request and changeover day (25th September 2017).

British Gas have verbally confirmed, and also emailed to say, that there aren't exit fess to be applied during the last 49 days of the fixed contract, so that's unlikely to be a problem. We just need to see if the paperwork and the subsequent billing, direct debits etc. are all OK.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Hi. Although my tarrif is not at an end, I have been told I can change without exit fees.

I have had an e-mail from U-Switch which tells me to go with one company, MSE/CEC then you get some good reviews and some bad ones !

GNE seemed to be well recommended by MSE, but my head is boggling with all this information.

The bottom line is I want a reliable service at a cheap price (who doesn't?!).
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi. Although my tarrif is not at an end, I have been told I can change without exit fees.

I have had an e-mail from U-Switch which tells me to go with one company, MSE/CEC then you get some good reviews and some bad ones !

GNE seemed to be well recommended by MSE, but my head is boggling with all this information.

The bottom line is I want a reliable service at a cheap price (who doesn't?!).
    They are just billing companies, the energy won't suddenly stop!
    I went from EDF to BGas and only time I contact them is when switching or to give a reading

GNE comes cheapest for me, so I either go with EDF who are the cheapest big-6 for me or GNE. My only other consideration is to go with bulb that has no exit fees, but that seems to be boosted by lots of referrals for the £50-quid, so taking with a pinch of salt
  • ButtersUK
    ButtersUK Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 October 2017 at 11:23AM
    There's another thread running about GNE ..... http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5602038 .... and I just posted there to say that my switch from British Gas has gone perfectly well and I'm currently very pleased with the way they've handled things. The Customer Service phone line answers straight away and the staff are fine. The tariff seems a good bit cheaper than what British Gas were going to charge therefore I can see no reason to have any regrets.
  • Hi,

switched from British Gas to GNE in Sept 2017 when my last collective switch fixed tariff ended.

I went for the 18 month fix with GNE. Switch all went as planned for gas and electricity. The GNE app is ok on my phone. No issues so far and I have IGT for gas supply but this didn't delay things at all so all in all GNE get a thumbs up from me.
  • A further thumbs up from me regarding Green Network Energy. My previous supplier, British Gas, have now completed the switch and have refunded an outstanding balance with no problem and GNE are now fully in control of my supply and billing and everything looks to be without any hiccups at all.

In fairness to BG they dealt with the switch completely painlessly and whenvever I rang the staff were fine, albeit their wait times on the phone can be longer than GNE. However the bottom line is my monthly direct debit is now substantially less than it would have been with BG ... and that was the main purpose of the switch.
  • Just instigated the switch direct through their website, very easy to use and no issues.
    They state they wil look after everything from here onwards, switch will occur at the end of the month so I will update when the switch is complete. So far so good and cheap which is the main point we switch.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback