Flight Delay Compensation, Lufthansa Only

Comments

• Hi, I was wondering if anyone had been provided with a "flight delay certificate" from Lufthansa? I have but it looks like someone has/anyone could knock it together with adobe??!! It also contains no detail.
    Thanks in advance.
  • akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    My complaint with Lufthansa is not with regard to flight cancellation, but the fact that they lost my luggage for almost 2 days of a 2 day trip, advised me I would receive it later that day, which I did not as they cancelled the flight (it was during the air strikes on 19/20 March), and they never once bothered up update me. I had a ruined holiday as a result.

On my return I submitted a complaint to them, for the lack of contact, update and distress and they have responded offering me 2 cinema tickets, which I find an insult in the circumstances. Not sure what I am looking for as compensation but more than this.

I am looking to respond to the second email I have received and someone suggested copying in CEO. Does anyone know an email address for the CEO or have they tried doing this when complaining and has it been successful?
    Decluttter 2022⭐Declutter 2023
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You will be entitled to claim reimbursement for essential items you have purchased whilst your baggage was delayed if you send in receipts
    For any compensation you should look to your travel insurance
  • akh43
    akh43 Posts: 1,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    You will be entitled to claim reimbursement for essential items you have purchased whilst your baggage was delayed if you send in receipts
    For any compensation you should look to your travel insurance

That is part of my complaint, I was not told I could purchase essential items until it was too late to purchase any. I am not a frequent traveller so didnt realise this. My main complaint is the total lack of customer service by Lutfhansa who cancelled the flight I was told my luggage would arrive on, but they never bothered to contact me to let me know this. I even rang them after the flight had been cancelled and they did not tell me this, in fact they told me they "thought" they had my luggage they would check and ring me back. They did not. I was stuck alone in a hotel and was waiting over 36 hours for my luggage and not once did they bother to update me, it was me having to contact them and even then I found out very little. It ruined my short break holiday and had me waiting in vain at the hotel for my luggage to arrive when it was still in Frankfurt.

I had travel insurance for the trip, but have not put in a claim as I was told to go to the airline first and I am not sure I would get anything as I didnt actually buy anything as I was not informed I could.
    Decluttter 2022⭐Declutter 2023
  • Hello all, i've been reading this thread with interest but have quite a specific question.
    I booked a return flight to Stockholm from Stuttgart. There are no direct flights on this route with Lufthansa but there is a transfer in Frankfurt.
    On the return journey, the Frankfurt to Stuttgart leg is run by a train, kind of like a codeshare with Deutsche Bahn. No problem as for a relatively short distance, having a flight may not make economical sense. However, there was a delay on the return flight causing the train to be missed. A cascade of train problems thereafter resulted in an arrival in Stuttgart 4 hours later. Does anyone know if compensation can still be claimed against Lufthansa or are they going to put the blame on DB?
  • In case if anyone was curious, AirHelp are now taking my case to court. This will be a landmark victory, I tell you...lol.

I've won my case :money:
    Student loan: Cleared.
  • kuepper
    kuepper Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 August 2015 at 8:05PM
    Had a booking from Manchester to Chisinau with Austrian airlines. The booking involved 2 changes - at Frankfurt and Vienna - and the 1st flight was operated by Lufthansa, the other 2 by Austrian. My Lufthansa flight was a tad late arriving in Frankfurt so I just missed my connecting flight to Vienna. At Frankfurt, Lufthansa customer services rerouted me to Chisinau via Istanbul with Lufthansa and then from Istanbul to Chisinau withTurkish airlines. I eventually arrived in Chisinau 5 hours 30 minutes later than I should have done had my original booking connections worked out.

I complained to Lufthansa and suggested I was entitled to 400 euros compensation. Credit to them they have replied in 12 hours, though not saying what I wanted to hear:

"Even with all of the effort we make to always maintain the flight schedule and avoid waiting times: We unfortunately cannot fully rule out occasional delays at the airport. Congestion in airspace or restrictions by the authorities may lead to delays from time to time and can affect subsequent flights in the aircraft’s rotation that cannot always be made up. Unfortunately, this was the case regarding your flight.

As safety in air traffic is always a top priority for Lufthansa, such situations cannot be always be avoided. As an airline, we will do our utmost to get you to your destination as fast as possible in spite of the circumstances.

There are no grounds for compensation against Lufthansa for such delays. We therefore hope for your understanding that we cannot meet your request for compensation of your additional costs."

However this seems a limp reply which doesn't even seem to suggest any exceptional circumstances whatsoever, have I got a good case - and which is the relevant regulatory authority in my case, CAA or German equivalent?
  • I have been told that I can get compensation for around £1000, unfortunately I gave them the wrong bank details and now all has gone quiet despite letters and emails - any advice - I have been told by the bank that the money would have bounced back to them....... CAA said they can't help.....
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I had a flight booked with Lufthansa departing the UK 8th September. On 7th September I checked-in online and was issued my boarding pass. Later on that day I received a revised itinerary from Lufthansa with a flight missing due to a German pilot strike due to take place 8th September.

I contacted Lufthansa and they couldn't re-route me or get me on a flight 9th September either so I was up !!!!!! creek without a paddle.

The only airline that could get me where I needed to be was British Airways and at such short notice that flight cost me £1900. (Ouch)

I thought it would be ok as I had travel insurance but my claim has just been rejected and apparently I cannot claim compensation from Lufthansa as strike action falls under "extraordinary circumstances."

Lufthansa did refund me the £350 I had paid for my flight but I am still seriously out of pocket for something that wasn't my fault.

Does anyone have any ideas of other avenues I can try or do I just need to chalk this one up to experience?

Sad Pixie. :(
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi all,,re the current Lufthansa UFO strike,,, if i have a flight which is from the UK with a connection in Germany and the departing flight in the UK is cancelled is it simply the case that i cannot travel and lufthansa will have to refund my flight costs? If the lfight was booked via an agency, do i have to submit my refund claim with the agency or can i deal with lufthansa direct as i have the booking code and can see the booking on their website? Thanks all
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure