Currency abroad

Just back from a nice break to Majorca and wanted to let people know my experience changing money. Afew weks ago I did a bit of research on the main forum here as the find the best way to get foreign currency. I already had a Halifax Clarity card, used only for foreign travel, so this was a good start. A Starling bank card was also advised as a great way to spend and lift money from ATM's. I got one and loaded it up with cash. Off then to Majorca and on first night I needed some cash. Before leaving I had obtained a list of banks that do not charge foe withdrawals. I also had a list of banks to avoid. By using a bank that doesnt charge with my Starling card I should be getting the very best rate possible. Afew yards from my hotel I came to a kiosk type ATM called CashZone. Knowing this would be charging me I decedied to avoid. Then I had a thought, just what would the best case scenario and worst case scenario be getting my money changed. So I decided to take one for the team and lift 100Euro at this kiosk. Stick in my Starling card and first of all told there would be 2.50E charge. Ok. then on to the option of letting the machine owners do the conversion (ususlly bad idea) or take Euro option and let Starling do the conversion. I took the bad option. So, when I got my 100E in my hand I got a ping on my Starling app telling me I had bought 100E for the cost of £105.65. Bit eye-watering. Five minutes later I was standing outside a known good bank and again lifted 100E. This time no charge. This time opted to have conversion done by Starling. Couple of seconds later got a ping on my app. This time my cost to buy the 100E was £90.45. So in the space of minutes 2 different machines had a whopping £15.20 difference. So it really pays to be aware of what cards to take and where to use them. The resort I was in was littered with kiosk ATM's and probly ripping people off left right and centre.
I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p

Comments

• I'm sure this will be a helpful post for some. Fair play to you for taking the hit to show the difference. I find myself making a note of the offered conversion then comparing it to what the charge on the credit card or via Starling actually is, always a few quid (at least) and brings a smile to my face
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 810
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I've never gone that far, but last holiday, I had some EUR from a supermarket Forex, where the rate was around 1.03 to the pound, while abroad Starling was giving me 1.11.

Bang head against wall and tell yourself "remember for next time"...
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Best just getting a Monzo card, getting the best rate possible and avoiding cash!
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Second for Monzo with Revolut as a backup! Rarely need cash.
  • CEON44
    CEON44 Posts: 473
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes Monzo good. But could also have used my Starling at best rates. I just like to use cash.
    I started out with nothing......And still have most of it left:p
  • RikM
    RikM Posts: 810
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I moved to Starling from Monzo...
    When they moved to the "account" instead of prepaid card model, I thought that if I had to have an account, I might as well have one without the holiday cash withdrawal restrictions. Sometimes you need cash.

• I rang Caxton yesterday and spoke to a lovely lady at around 18:00. I explained that I was an adult with a learning difficulty who finds financial things very challenging and would need to be supported during the process of buying a currency card. I was assured that someone would be in the office Saturday morning and would be able to help me.

I rang this morning to order a currency card and spoke to Claire/Clare.

I explained twice to her that I had a learning difficulty and that I wanted to buy a card with Caxton. Claire/Clare got impatient with me and kept saying, “I don’t understand what you want me to do.”

I asked to speak to her manager but she refused initially. Then she said she would ask someone to call me back.

All I wanted to do was ask for help with a currency card. I have never done this before and I was left feeling demeaned and stupid by Claire/Clare.

I am so disappointed in Caxton.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport