Easyjet Tricks - guide discussion

Comments

• crustacean
    crustacean Posts: 12 Forumite
    It very often is. But they are cheaper because, for one thing, they book landing slots which mean very early arrival at airport of departure.

For instance, their flight to Valencia, where I am due to buy a flat, and thus be a frequent user of UK -VLC, leaves Stansted at 07:30. That means one must arr STN at 05:30 (officially). Victoria to STN is +/- 75 mins on the bus, so arr Vic 04:00. Travel to Victoria? From my friends in W11 that's 30 mins by minicab, so one must set the alarm for 03:00 very latest.

Where are you coming from? If you can't stay w friends in London, that means either paying for an overnight or car parking or a midnight ramble cross country to STN.

I prefer to pay the extra for EJ's afternoon flight. I can then do London or Bristol > Gatwick > VLC at a civilised hour, arriving in time for the paseo and unas copas.
  • crustacean
    crustacean Posts: 12 Forumite
    nitty51 wrote: »
    Hi I would beware advising people to wear more clothes a young man collapsed from the heat because he was wearing too many layers. Also I think they are becoming wise to the extra items in duty free bags. I never thought I would say this but Ryanair have finely got their act together and most of the time flights are
    Less than Easyjet, they allow an extra cabin bag and they don't charge a fortune for credit card payments anymore. Quite often I fly one way with Ryanair and the other with Easyjet

The guy who passed out because of the absurd number of layers he was wearing was very silly. There are people who, as my dear old mum used to say, haven't the sense they were born with.

However, as a photographer colleague was once told by a US airline, "If you're wearing it, it's not luggage." For photographers, camera equipment is tricky. The only way round the size/weight problem (if paying your own way) is to strip down equipment and stash as many of the parts as poss in the capacious pockets of an over-size coat. My pro DSLR kit - body, three lenses and other bits inc Sam tablet, goes in a vast 52" chest safari jkt l bought just for this reason. I wear my normal travel jkt, another multi-pocket safari style, under that, with phone, passport etc. Once on board, both jkts get stowed and I don't pass out!

Tip for protecting cameras, lenses and other delicate gear - stuff them into socks.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    I used to have a winter coat which had big holes in the pockets.

It came in very useful the time I ended up 2kg overweight on my case.

Tip number two is not to trust cheap luggage scales.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sc0biegee wrote: »
    If you don't like the seats allocated, then don't proceed with check in.Stop and go back a bit later. You will be offered different seats.
    Keep doing this until you get seats that you like.

I done that this year.

It doesn't work like that now. You don't see the seat allocated until you've committed to the check in.

The option of looking at seats already taken is the closest you can get to choosing a preferred seat without paying.
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Hi
    Does anyone know if Easyjet count a moneybelt or small bumbag as luggage ? Or if you are wearing them round your waist are they ok ?
    Cheers Jen
  • SumJuan
    SumJuan Posts: 12 Forumite
    Sc0biegee wrote: »
    If you don't like the seats allocated, then don't proceed with check in.Stop and go back a bit later. You will be offered different seats.
    Keep doing this until you get seats that you like.

I done that this year.
    Were you referring to BA check in?
  • Thanks for these. On number 7 (perfect time to check in), I have just learnt from experience that the earlier you check in the better.

Had a flight booked from Gatwick to Barcelona last week, and as it was an evening flight, I tried to check in the morning of the flight (you can check in up to 2 hours before departure so shouldn't have been an issue). However, kept getting an error message saying that online check in was not available and that we should go to bag drop at the airport to get our boarding passes.

At bag drop, was advised that because we had not checked in online, we were now on standby for our flight. The staff then told us that Easyjet regularly overbook their flights in order to mitigate the number of no shows, and that the reason we were not able to check in on the day was because there were no seats left on our flight. The staff said that we should always check in as early as possible to ensure that we have a seat on the flight.

We were ok in the end, as there were quite a few no shows, but there have been recent issues reported in the press with families being split up or having to travel circuitous routes.

[there is an article in the independent from last week - can't post a link as I am a new user - google "easyjet overbooking"]

Although the Easyjet staff eventually explained what was going on, they were pretty rude and unpleasant, so I'm not surprised people have had the issues being reported.
  • SW17
    SW17 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 July 2015 at 9:18PM
    Low cost carriers rarely overbooked in their earlier days, as all tickets were non-amendable and non-refundable, so no-shows had limited impact beyond the sale of ancillaries onboard, in fact they sometimes made more by not paying airport charges etc.

As they have introduced more flexible options, the number of changes and no-shows increased, with impact to airline revenue, so greater levels of overbooking were fairly inevitable. Of course, how they handle it is a different matter, and many people don't know their rights when they are unfortunate enough to suffer IDB. Airlines will usually pay in the end, but they know they can reduce the total cost by fobbing some people off.

Presume this is the article you refer to

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/easyjet-overbooking-epidemic-wrecking-travel-plans-for-thousands--and-flouting-eu-rules-10407684.html

It is good advice to check in early, especially if you have not paid to reserve seats.
  • When we get to the gate we are usually wearing or carrying jackets. If you carry your jacket you can stuff the pockets and sleeves with things you want access to on the flight without going into your baggage. We usually have our picnic, magazines and Kindle in the jackets.
  • I have just followed the advice, and got £16 back. Very useful.
    There were no arguments, all very quick, easy and hassle free.
    Recommend everyone to do it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure