Stuck on tarmac with doors closed

We were travelling to Spain this summer with twin toddlers. They boarded everyone onto the flight and Then told us they already knew we were delayed over 4 hours! We had no food or drink before we took off but we’re given one cup of water each. They eventually managed to take off 2 hours and 50 mins late but this entire time was trapped on a hot stuffy plane. My email complaint was ignored and they just said we weren’t entitled to any compensation but didn’t address any other points. I’m livid, entertaining two toddlers is hard enough but trapped on a plane before our flight was excruciating. Surely there’s a ruling somewhere about when the doors are closed? We even had insurance in place that if we were delayed we could get airport lounge passes but obviously we couldn’t use them trapped on the plane!

Comments

• It was EasyJet
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 October 2019 at 9:36AM
    They keep everyone on board so they can set off very quickly, had they de-planed you and then got another slot they would have spent half an hour getting everyone back on and probably missed it again. At busy airports slots can be given to planes at a few minutes notice.

No, there is no guidance. Looks like you missed the compo deadline by ten minutes, hard luck. Any gesture from Easyjet will be goodwill only and probably in the form of flight vouchers at a push.

The fact you had twin toddlers is, sorry to say, totally irrelevant.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Compensation is not decided on how late the flight takes off, it is how late the flight is arriving when you park up and the doors open. Put your flight details into euclaim and bottonline and see what they say.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    bredders1983, I know you mean well but I ask you to read EU261/2004 you will then be able to give the correct advice.
  • bradders1983
    bradders1983 Posts: 5,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    :rotfl:
    bredders1983, I know you mean well but I ask you to read EU261/2004 you will then be able to give the correct advice.

I was working on the assumption they arrived 2h50 late as well.

EU261 doesnt cover "sat on the tarmac waiting for a slot", unless this takes you over the 3 hours.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :rotfl:

I was working on the assumption they arrived 2h50 late as well.

EU261 doesnt cover "sat on the tarmac waiting for a slot", unless this takes you over the 3 hours.

You cannot assume anything with flight delays.

EU 261 doesn't cover "sat on the tarmac waiting for a slot" for over 3 hours either. It's only concern is when you arrive at your final destination after the qualifying period;)
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tarmac delays are never good, but they happen. Surely you had some snacks and drinks with you and things to entertain your toddlers during the flight?

They can't deplane you because that would likely result in further delays. Slots can become available at the last minute and they have to be ready to go.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Kazzatron wrote: »
    They boarded everyone onto the flight and Then told us they already knew we were delayed over 4 hours! We had no food or drink before we took off but we’re given one cup of water each. They eventually managed to take off 2 hours and 50 mins late
    I have experienced this a number of times but the captain usually advises the passengers that they have boarded so they can advise ATC that they are ready to go as soon as there is an available slot
    It sounds like that by doing that they managed to reduce the delay by over an hour...good result
  • Count yourself lucky ....we were 4 hours sat on the tarmac!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure