Wifi Connection Issues

Comments

• Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Oh bleep!!!

I just set this update going this morning without reading this thread first!!

I may be back if I encounter problems.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,200 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Is it a set time that they will connect for and then disconnect ?
    Is there any pattern to it ?

ie it will stay connected for x minutes every time ?

Or is it just random ?

If it is other devices too then it does point to an issue with the router - but your opening comment that this has only been happening since a windows update muddy the waters

Sorry

As I said, I've had multiple problems over several months. Wifi connection on laptop would randomly drop, several times a day, no discernable pattern

These appeared to all have been fixed but after I did Windows 10 update on 16/8, I started having connection problems again - so I thought it might be that. On 18/8 I managed to connect laptop after switching router off & on again. Husband's iphone would connect & Sky box was connected.

Since yesterday 19/8, neither the laptop nor husband's old iphone will connect, although they both see the network. Sky box also disconnected.
  • badger09
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    Oh bleep!!!

I just set this update going this morning without reading this thread first!!

I may be back if I encounter problems.

Don't stress too much Sea Shell. I've uninstalled 2 of the updates (wasn't able to uninstall the security one) and I'm still having problems, so I'm now pretty sure the 2 are not linked.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    OK so it looks like the update thing was just a coincidence then as this is a cross device issue.

Hmmm, but actually , didn't you say that your laptop wouldn't connect to your phones hotspot either ?

So , try updating the driver for wifi card through device manager first (just to finally rule this out)
    Next, log onto your router (let us know if you need help doing this) and change the wifi channel .. It's probly on channel 11 now , change it 1 or 6

Reboot the router and see what happens
  • badger09
    Also, rather than using support assist, actually go to device manager, RIGHT click on the wifi adapter and choose 'update driver' and let it search for one on internet.

If it comes back and says the best driver is already installed then fair enough - but please try that first.

(make sure you have a reliable internet connection before you do this (ethernet) , or it will just tell you the best one is installed anyway)

Just done that - 'The best drivers for your device are already installed'

If I click on Windows updates it just tells me about the Win 10 updates I uninstalled yesterday
  • AndyPix
    Ok, next stop - router wifi channel
  • badger09
    OK so it looks like the update thing was just a coincidence then as this is a cross device issue.

Agreed:o

Hmmm, but actually , didn't you say that your laptop wouldn't connect to your phones hotspot either ?

Correct

So , try updating the driver for wifi card through device manager first (just to finally rule this out)

Done/not nec

Next, log onto your router (let us know if you need help doing this) and change the wifi channel .. It's probly on channel 11 now , change it 1 or 6

Yes please. I know I've done it before but can't remember how

Reboot the router and see what happens

answers in red
  • badger09
    I've remembered how to do this.

However, and I promise this is not a wind up! When the 2 BT engineers spent all morning here trying to solve my earlier problems, one of them changed the router log in details. Eventually he did a factory reset, but now the defaults don't work so I can't get in!

I mentioned this to the JLBB tech helpline & they said not to worry, I'd never need to get in

Should I now try a factory reset on the router? I'm reaching the end of my rope but am so grateful for your patience
  • AndyPix
    Open CMD and type ipconfig /all

In the list, find 'default gateway' and make a note of the ip address

Open a browser, and type in the address bar

http://ipaddress

Obviously substitute the word ipaddress for the one that you found next to 'default gateway'

The admin username and password should be written on the router somewhere
  • AndyPix
    If you factory reset it you might lose the details needed for it to connect to your service..

What did they have to change in there to 'solve your earlier problems' ?

If this is not a default set up then I suspect your issues are going to lurk in there somewhere

edit: why on earth would they change the admin creds ? that makes no sense to me
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure