Dublin Airport - Questions

eamon
eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
Hello Folks

Anybody travelled by bus from/to Dublin Airport? Goldline X4 service.

I land there on Saturday at 7.30am, assuming that arrivals are quickly herded to the exit doors is there anywhere to get a decent breakfast as its a long wait for the bus (11.20am)?

Q2. On Tuesday 11th the bus in theory gets me back to the airport at 13.50 and my flight departs at 15.35. Is that enough time to get through security etc or should I radically rethink it?

Look forward to replies

Eamon

Comments

• guiriman
    guiriman Posts: 525 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Only place I've ever had breakfast there is McDonalds, which is what you would expect.
    You should be fine going through security with 1hr45mins in the middle of the day
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    eamon wrote: »
    Hello Folks

Anybody travelled by bus from/to Dublin Airport? Goldline X4 service.

I land there on Saturday at 7.30am, assuming that arrivals are quickly herded to the exit doors is there anywhere to get a decent breakfast as its a long wait for the bus (11.20am)?

Q2. On Tuesday 11th the bus in theory gets me back to the airport at 13.50 and my flight departs at 15.35. Is that enough time to get through security etc or should I radically rethink it?

Look forward to replies

Eamon

Flying just to England or further afield? You’ll probably be all right for cross channel but they like you to be there earlier for long haul. Be prepared for a wait at security and print off your boarding passes before so you can get started as soon as you arrive.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    If I was in that situation I'd probably just get one of the airport buses to belfast, then bus or train from there. Probably get you there quicker.
  • eamon
    I've gone with my 1st choice for the return leg i.e. get X4 from Armagh at 11.55 I looked at other options e.g. bus to either Portadown (Train) or Newry (bus and or train) and only the Newry option makes sense at all. Hopefully I won't regret my choice that there will no problems and I don't end up paying a small fortune to get to England.
    My research tells me that there are 25 departures between 2 -3 pm so I should be ok with security
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    eamon wrote: »
    I've gone with my 1st choice for the return leg i.e. get X4 from Armagh at 11.55 I looked at other options e.g. bus to either Portadown (Train) or Newry (bus and or train) and only the Newry option makes sense at all. Hopefully I won't regret my choice that there will no problems and I don't end up paying a small fortune to get to England.
    My research tells me that there are 25 departures between 2 -3 pm so I should be ok with security

It can take quite a while getting through, though. I’ve been there with hundreds of people in front of me quite often. Be ready to hit the ground running when you get off the bus.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • Kim_Possible
    Kim_Possible Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    How about speedy security pass , if in doubt: https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/travel-services/fast-track
  • eamon
    Back home safe and sound.

As I had a 3 to 4 hour wait for the X4 and didn't fancy any of Airport offerings I wandered over to the Maldron Hotel for breakfast. €16 gets you access to everything as its buffet style and I suppose if you are super peckish you can load up mutiple times. I went for fruit juice, cereal, cooked breakast, toast, wheaten bread cold meats/cheese and tea. The quality isn't bad at all. There is free wifi though that tends to be everywhere nowadays and is expected.

Slight drama with the bus though, finding the bus stops is easy peasy but could I find the Goldline X4. Every other bus number/route can be found. Ended up having to phone up Translink, so for anybody that may read this it picks up from stands 10 or 11 depending on what is already there.

For the return flight I was talking to a couple of airport employees and they suggest that if flying from T1 use the T1 security. It is properly staffed and equipped and I got through in less than 10 minutes. I did spend €6 on fast track but didn't need it and couldn't see the fast track lane anyway. T2 has less staff & machines and apparently has Americans using T2 and they didn't recommend it at all.

Lastly at LBA why to they still make arrivals from Ireland & Channel Islands use the porta thingy attached to the Jet2 check in area. Seemed pointless to disembark, board a bendy bus and travel less than 100m just to stand in the rain. Make more sense to me to just use the main immigration check area for all arrivals
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure