Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
  • Leonie
    I've just discovered the budget planner won't open in open office - please can I have a copy of the open office version?
    • gibby
    • By gibby 14th Jun 06, 7:38 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    gibby
    any chance of the protection password as I need to change it to work for my circumstances as Im self employed and need one section for business expenses

thanks

Gibby
    never take advice from broke or unsuccessful people

Jim Rohn
  • Leonie
    Have also just discovered after filling in the online budget planner to the end of the expenditure part, that I can't actually see the rest of it! The income part cuts off just after the header, so I can't do any of that part - probably something to do with the fact that I use Linux, not Microsoft on my PC.

But the expenditure part gave me lots of food for thought - I'm spending too much!
    • jago25_98
    • By jago25_98 15th Jun 06, 8:57 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    jago25_98
    I was able to copy and paste my cahoot statements and recent transactions to .csv and then import to a spreadsheet.

cash transactions were recorded on my mobile phone using moneymanager2 from 8mobile
  • simoncowen88
    Taking what you've got and changing it to suit you better!
    Hi there, I downloaded the budget and found some sections that i needed missing and others that weren't applicable to me, this isn't to say the spreadsheet wasn't any good! It was! It is!
    But I decided to use this budget as a template to create my own budget, the main thing being to add a section where it can be filled in on a day by day basis and then calculate for me how much i am spending per week / month / year.
    If anyone would like my humble attempt at improving upon the budget (at least for my circumstances) then I would be more than happy to send it to you!

Also, does anyone know if i can upload it onto this site for people to take off as they wish?

Thanks

Simon
  • simoncowen88
    Download it! (if you want to of course!)
    You can download the budget spreadsheet from...

http://www.filehosting.cc/download.php?id=EE031FF8

Just scroll down a little, enter the numbers, press submit... scroll down a little again, wait thirty seconds, then click "Download File"!

This is just my attempt at making the budget planner more suited to me and hopefully to some of you!

Simon
    If I've got no money now, what am I going to be like next year... when i'm a student!!
    • larochelleuk
    • By larochelleuk 14th Aug 06, 4:53 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    larochelleuk
    Google spreadsheets
    Google have produced an online version of spreadsheet software:

www.spreadsheets.google.com/

It is still in BETA i.e. test mode, and some may prefer not to use it for security (although this would no more be a concern than with gmail email accounts, for example), however this could be very useful in future by allowing a spreadsheet to feature a google search engine. Also because it's online it could be updated from any computer with less hassle than Excel/ other applications allow, and be saveable.

I had problems importing the Budgetplanner to this site however. Can anyone figure out why?
  • pmd
    Thanks - and a couple of suggested enhancements
    Budget Planner is very useful thanks in allowing input of weekly/monthly/annual figures.

May I make a couple of suggestions for making it even better?

- a column at the side for notes, to remind myself about decisions as to what goes where or where I've got the numbers from (eg how I've split the complex of Tiscali broadband / BT landline / 18866 / 1899 !)

- an option to print out the table without all the expensive coloured ink

- a facility to input two rows for same topic, to make it easier to input his'n'hers info, eg salary (saves doing the adding up mentally, and makes it clearer to see what's what). (I suppose this is just a special case of the request so many people have made for "Please can I add my extra rows"!)

Cheers!
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 23rd Aug 06, 6:31 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 4,991 Thanks
    whmf00001
    hi please can i have a copy of the food planner
  • connells
    please can I have your food planner. thank you
  • solitaire310
    Can I also have a copy of the food planner please.

I have a mac, if anyone has the budget planner in open office format I would also love a copy of that.
    Thanks.
  • connells
    oh well, I guess the original food planner was posted in 05, so probably no sign of one now. anyone elso got one for me?
  • connells
    please can I have the password for the budget planner?
    thank you.
    • whmf00001
    • By whmf00001 28th Aug 06, 10:38 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 4,991 Thanks
    whmf00001
    food planner from 05 would have been good but i have now been inspired and have done an inventory of both freezers and 3 week smenu plan based on items in freezers, already home cooked foods as well as bought instant meals and money off (whoopsie counters) sell by date foods which were pushed to the back. also contacted ntl and had package reduced by £10 per month !!! feeling proud. AND i have transferred some of saving account to pay off bulk of credit cards having read Martin's tips. have been lurking for a couple of years so better late than never.
  • connells
    well done for your food/menu plans, did you ever see the food planner? I always do a menu at start of week and shop twice a week for fresh food, milk, bread etc. I hope you eat some fresh food! my freezer is small so limited to just fridge. but since I have the shopping list all mapped out my trips to the horrible super market are less stressful and I never have that panic at 4.30 of "what's for tea?" I just look at the menu and it's all in the fridge. My cupboards have emptied because they are not stuffed with random food and my food bill has dropped. so I'm feeling pleased with myself too, but do wish I could see the food planner - there always seems to be an easier way!
  • Alladin
    Can I please have a copy of the food planner?

Cheers
    • EagerLearner
    • By EagerLearner 14th Sep 06, 10:10 AM
    • 4,972 Posts
    • 7,922 Thanks
    EagerLearner
    Hello everyone - just thought I would let you know about the spreadsheet I have set up for MSER's to manage saving 'pots' (for me, I have all savings in one pot, then I manage the different aspects within the pot, with this spreadsheet).

Download it and take a look - it will all make sense & the charts will give you instant snapshots when you fill them in!

Please leave feedback and comments on the post below - enjoy and I hope it's useful to you.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! 86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting
    YNAB lover
  • Gbuff10
    I tried to manage my income but I ended up in a huge mess. I couldnt track where my finance got used up and hence could not plan for my savings.
    I then used Mvelopes, they provide a 30 day free trial which I used to simplify all my financial transactions. It provides a wonderful way of managing money in the form of envelopes which makes it very easy to sort out my income into specific catagories. The nightmare I used to have in managing my finances have been simplified by this product. Try it out and you will find the difference
  • Halfpint
    Traditional Budgeting/Piggybanking
    I tried to manage my income but I ended up in a huge mess. I couldnt track where my finance got used up and hence could not plan for my savings.
    I then used Mvelopes, they provide a 30 day free trial which I used to simplify all my financial transactions. It provides a wonderful way of managing money in the form of envelopes which makes it very easy to sort out my income into specific catagories. The nightmare I used to have in managing my finances have been simplified by this product. Try it out and you will find the difference
    by Gbuff10

Are you using the US version of Mvelopes? Did you know there is now a UK specific version?

I am currently one of the people testing a new site (www.mybeanstalk.co.uk) due to launch at the beginning of November. The site is live but not being promoted. One of the key features of the site is the UK version of the online money management application, Mvelopes Personal. There's a Quick Tour that talks about the benefits of envelope budgeting which I think is very much along the same lines as Martin's Piggybanking approach but without the hassle of opening multiple accounts. (Has anyone actually tried to open loads of accounts? - I can still recall the nightmare of trying to open an HSBC 'online' account recently, but that's another story...)

Having used Mvelopes for the past 2 months I can honestly say it's making a huge difference to my spend tracking - unfortunately it's highighted my weakness for shoes but at least I can see where I have to/can make changes to other areas of spending so I can fund this fetish! I think Mvelopes is a real answer to real budget planning and, more crucially, spend tracking.
  • frankiegirl
    Hi, what is the food planner? can i have a copy please?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

486Posts Today

5,427Users online

Martin's Twitter